Eric R Snow

Default Fortress mailboxes

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:10:02 GMT, Ignoramus5275
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:04:17 GMT, Anthony wrote:
Ignoramus5275 wrote in
news

If some vandal hits your mailbox, dies, and you lose thousands in
court, you are not a winner in the situation. If an unfortunate driver
dies, there would be a moral guilt element in addition to the court
judgment.

I've deleted the original post now, but in reply...
Last I knew, willful destruction of a mailbox was still a FELONY.

yep

If it is a recurring problem, a video camera or web cam set up to
snap a picture every few seconds aimed to maybe get a plate number
would be a good way to go. You've lost another mailbox, but at
least the people who did it can be procecuted.

A fun Rec.Crafts.Metalworking project would be a camera actuated by an
event of a mailbox being destroyed. Should not be very difficult, to
use a relay that closes when signal current is interrupted.

I've thought about the mailbox surprise from time to time. Even though
destroying a mailbox is a felony doesn't mean it's a good law or that
kids who go out and whack mailboxes should pay a huge price for doing
so. There are hardly any people who have not done something equally as
bad and gotten away with it. That said, if my box got whacked I'd sure
like to see the varmints pay. But replacing the box and maybe 1/2 a
day hard labor splitting wood or pulling blackberry bushes would be
just. Where I live we have episodes of crushed mailboxes. I have
thought that a digital camera that takes a picture of every car that
passes would be easy to set up. But destroying somebody's mailbox sure
doesn't rate jail time or anything. Unless it's a mailbox in your
front door and an M-80 is used.
ERS