JB

Default Source for 3 Phase Motor?

Hi Guys,

I am going to make a rotary phase converter and would like to know if anyone
can tell me of a good source for used 3 phase motors. I live in Middletown,
NJ. I am looking for a 7.5 hp motor.

Many thanks for the help.

Joe...

Richard W.

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am going to make a rotary phase converter and would like to know if

anyone
can tell me of a good source for used 3 phase motors. I live in

Middletown,
NJ. I am looking for a 7.5 hp motor.

Many thanks for the help.

Joe...

Auctions or motor rewind shops.

lens

I have had great luck buying motors on ebay. It seems to be an item
that does not get the feeding frenzy that other things do. I have been
the only bidder on several new 3-phase motors and have never paid more
than $50 (with shipping) for 1/2 and 3/4 HP 3-phase motors. Not sure
what 7.5HP would cost, but it is worth checking. BTW, I have converted
my 1-ph lathe and mill TO 3-ph so I can use VFDs for variable speed.
The VFDs were cheap on ebay as well.

JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am going to make a rotary phase converter and would like to know if anyone
can tell me of a good source for used 3 phase motors. I live in Middletown,
NJ. I am looking for a 7.5 hp motor.

Many thanks for the help.

Joe...

oldjag

JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am going to make a rotary phase converter and would like to know if anyone
can tell me of a good source for used 3 phase motors. I live in Middletown,
NJ. I am looking for a 7.5 hp motor.

Many thanks for the help.

Joe...

I would check with LB Metals in Fleetwood Pa.,610-921-8848. They have
a large, actually huge number of used 3 phase motors. Basicly they are
a scrap yard/metal dealer. Try to find one that has been stored under
cover. They typically get $10/hp for used motors. Shipping on an ebay
motor might be more than the gas to drive there from NJ. They are open
on Saturday till noon. Probably won't be much help on the phone since
they don't exactly have an accurate inventory. Try to not buy a High
effciency motor, apparently they run too hot when used as a phase
converter. I got a 15 hp there two years ago for a converter and it's
working fine. Starts the 10hp leblond lathe in my home shop. They
also have two stores in Reading PA., I found some the capacitors I
needed for the converter in the reading store. Another possible source
for you might be Joseph Fazio Steel in Glassboro NJ., closer but not
near as many used motors.

Joe AutoDrill

From a friend:

Joe,

This is the guy in Hillside who sells used & surplus motors.

http://www.dealerselectric.com/

Apparently, he got a real good deal there earlier this week or late last
week.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

V8013-R

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am going to make a rotary phase converter and would like to know if
anyone can tell me of a good source for used 3 phase motors. I live in
Middletown, NJ. I am looking for a 7.5 hp motor.

Many thanks for the help.

Joe...

Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit Joshua Home Repair 58 June 8th 20 02:39 PM
Phase Converters JB Metalworking 58 July 28th 05 03:44 PM
Coill winding / AC motor construction - book recommendation ? N Cook Electronics Repair 5 February 22nd 05 06:27 PM
Repair data base NSM Electronics Repair 2 February 19th 05 09:27 PM
Phase converter won't spin compressor Jeffrey M. Borning Metalworking 18 January 23rd 04 06:50 PM