TwoGuns

Default I need some ideas on using old 2-liter bottles.

Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Just some of the things I do with them:
As a bachelor with a deep freeze I wash them out and fill with water
and place in the bottom part of my freezer. On a couple occasions when
the power went off the frozen 2 litter water bottles kept the food from

spoiling. Also makes a good supply of survival water if needed.

They make great bird & squirrel feeders with a few modifications.

Screwing the caps to the bottom of shelves in my shop allows me storage

space for things like nails, screws or just about anything that fits in

the mouth. Since the caps on the 16oz and 1 liter bottles have the same

threads I can use the appropriate sizes. Transparency make for easy
I.D. of contents.

Make great rockets with the proper air pump etc.

Great molds for wax candles. Leave in the bottle to protect against
insects and rodents until needed. To remove use utility knife to cut
around the bottle then place in hot water and pull bottle apart after a

minute or so.

Remove the caps and crimp four or more small diameter wires on the cap
with the slightly (inwardly) curved wires extending into the bottle
three inches or so. Place a dollop of peanut butter or other bait
inside the bottle and you have a great live trap for mice and other
small critters. Makes a great execution chamber with appropriate
chemicals and cap on or transportation method to a safe release area.

These are just a few of the uses I have found. I would appreciate any
ideas anyone can add.

T.I.A,
Dennis

Leo Lichtman

"TwoGuns" wrote: (clip) I would appreciate any ideas anyone can add.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe you can buy a cap with a spear point, which you stab into the soil
to water a potted plant.

Add some vodka or other alcoholic beverage to the bottles in your deep
freeze. That will lower the freezing/melting point and help keep your
food frozen when the power goes off. Plain water will let the food
thaw, but keep it from spoiling.

It also makes for a ready mixed drink in case of a disaster 8-).

Dan

Grant Erwin

If you put a 45° cut on the main body, without the cap you have a pretty usable
funnel for when you're sick of sorting fasteners and want a quick way to scoop
them up and dump them into something.

If you drill a hole in the center of the cap and then bolt on a bolt-on tire
valve from the auto parts store, then you can easily add CO2 gas through the
Schrader valve to rebubbleize flat soda, or make soda water. For more on this,
visit Richard Kinch's site: http://truetex.com/carbonation.htm

If you cut off the top of the bottle, you have a somewhat unstable open top
container which is OK for holding paint thinner for cleaning brushes.

Like many things, you can cut up an old soda bottle into small shims, useful in
many places for many things.

GWE

TwoGuns wrote:

[...]

Peter DiVergilio

If you have a Ruger Mark I Target Model with the muzzle brake, a 2 liter
bottle will slip on for a simple silencer (one time use only)
--
Peter DiVergilio
Most of the money I've wasted was mostly spent trying to impress people who

Chuck Sherwood

Fill it with styrofoam peanuts first....
mlcorson

It makes a great fishing device when used as a spin caster. Wind the
fishing line around the bottle, leaving a small length to put your
thumb on, next to the bait or lure, throw just like a rod. Releasing
the lure at the proper time takes a little pratice. In Mexico the kids
get pretty good and catch a lot of fish this way.
-Mike

Jim Stewart

TwoGuns wrote:

Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Bottle rockets:

http://members.aol.com/hayhurst1/h2orocket.htm
Don Foreman

On 14 Oct 2005 08:25:01 -0700, "TwoGuns"
wrote:

Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Oxy-acetylene mole/gopher bombs. Make electric squib with a kitchen
match and a piece of thin nichrome wire out of a discarded hairdryer.
Glue into cap. Fill bottle with oxy-acetylene. Bury bottle along a
fresh tunnel run. Run extension cord to battery.

Whump.

Replace divot.

steve

why does lowering the freezing point of the liquid in the bottle make
any difference?

Nick Hull

In article . com,
"TwoGuns" wrote:

Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Cut off the top & bottom and slit the side; it will curl up nicely and
can be put around small trees & vines to protect from a weedwacker.
Watch the direction you put it on so the wacker tightens it instead of
unwinding it.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
TwoGuns

Whump.
************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************

When I was a stupid teen a friend of mine and I had the brilliant idea
of filling a 30 gallon trash bag we had placed in an empty 55 gallon
drum with Oxy/AC .
We put enough Oxy/AC in the bag to stretch it to the max and then tied
our cannon fuse inside the neck with enough duct tape to give an almost
air tight seal. We then put several bricks and a cement block on the
lid and lit the 30 second fuse. We were about 100 feet away behind a
tree when it went off. It was a darn good thing we hid behind that tree
cause bricks and concrete block pieces were flying everywhere. The 55
gallon steel drum did not split but it had a permanant bulge in the
middle of it. Similar experiments with gasoline and Oxygen yielded
results almost as spectacular . I'm just glad I'm not a kid growing up
now. What a difference 40 years can make. It is hard to believe that
this is the same country and a Cherry Bomb can get a kid thrown in
jail.

Dennis

Ken Davey

TwoGuns wrote:
[...]

Bottling homemade beer!
They are perfect.
They won't turn into grenades like glass bottles.
Those little depressions around the bottom trap the sediment.
The issue caps re-seal well.

Ken.

SteveB

"Ken Davey" wrote

Bottling homemade beer!
They are perfect.
They won't turn into grenades like glass bottles.
Those little depressions around the bottom trap the sediment.
The issue caps re-seal well.

Ken.

And with a SMALL piece of dry ice and a little bit of water, they make a
great noisemaker.

Steve

Hugh Prescott

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Ken Davey" wrote

Bottling homemade beer!
They are perfect.
They won't turn into grenades like glass bottles.
Those little depressions around the bottom trap the sediment.
The issue caps re-seal well.

Ken.

And with a SMALL piece of dry ice and a little bit of water, they make a
great noisemaker.

Steve

Considered to be the equivlent of a pipe bomb in Illinois, mandatory jail
time even for minors.

Hugh

~Roy

Get into the brine shrimp hatchey business. I have about 3 dozen 2 and
3 liter bottles setup for a continual supply of brine shrimp.......I
use a lot of it with my fish as well as sell a lot......Not a lot of
money but its easy as pie and cheap to do.....

"The original frugal ponder"
Grant Erwin

How to Organize Twine With a Bottle

1. Cut off the bottom of a plastic beverage
2. Place the bottle against a wall or pole with the drinking end pointed down.
3. Nail a 1-inch, large-head nail through the top back portion of the bottle
into the wall or pole.
4. Slide a roll of string inside the bottle.
5. Thread the string through the bottleneck.
6. Pull the string out as needed, and cut.

Doug Warner

"TwoGuns" wrote:

Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to
come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any
of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.

A little water, a few chunks of dry ice, screw cap on and toss it
outside. Huge bang the one time I tried it.
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Doug Warner

"SteveB" wrote:

And with a SMALL piece of dry ice and a little bit of water, they make a
great noisemaker.

Steve

oops, I posted the same. Done it once, very loud, Unfortunatey,
someone else did it in today's police state, and:

'Two Georgia Tech freshman dormitories were evacuated Monday when a
plastic water bottle found in a courtyard exploded with a loud bang in
a campus custodian's hands.

The Atlanta police bomb disposal squad detonated two other suspicious
bottles found in the area, said police spokeswoman Sylvia Abernathy."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...0techdorm.html

Didn't use enough dry ice, or the bottle was a strong one..

--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
SteveB

"Doug Warner" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote:

And with a SMALL piece of dry ice and a little bit of water, they make a
great noisemaker.

Steve

oops, I posted the same. Done it once, very loud, Unfortunatey,
someone else did it in today's police state, and:

'Two Georgia Tech freshman dormitories were evacuated Monday when a
plastic water bottle found in a courtyard exploded with a loud bang in
a campus custodian's hands.

The Atlanta police bomb disposal squad detonated two other suspicious
bottles found in the area, said police spokeswoman Sylvia Abernathy."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...0techdorm.html

Didn't use enough dry ice, or the bottle was a strong one..

--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

When I was a kid, we used to get the bottle capper out. We did it, but with
glass bottles. Some would break on impact. Some would pop the caps. Some
would break after sitting in the field a while. Then we would go out and
break the last ones with rocks.

How did we ever live to be so old? God watches over drunks and idiots.

Steve

Water when warming up absorbs one calorie per gram per degree C. Ice
when warming up ( but not melting , say warming from minus 10 to zero
degrees C ) absorbs a little less than one calorie per gram per degree
C. Ice when melting adsorbs 80 calories per gram without changing
temperature.

Ice made from pure water melts at 0 degrees C. Ice with other things
in it melts at a lower temperature. Salt water, water and antifreeze,
water and Alcohol, frozen foods.

So frozen foods will melt before ice made with pure water melts. And
it is the melting of ice that adsorbs a lot of heat. So ice made of
water and alcohol will melt at say minus 10 degrees C. Keeping the
temperature at minus 10 degrees C. and keeping the frozen food frozen.
If frozen food thaws and is refrozen, it is not as appetizing.

Dan

Don Foreman

On 14 Oct 2005 16:03:40 -0700, "TwoGuns"
wrote:

Whump.
************************************************* ************************************************** *****************************

[...]

The buried 2-liter bottle just goes "whump". The neighbors don't even
notice. However, it does seem to result in no new tunnels for a
while.

I have been meaning to try another method of dealing with gophers. You
could use a two liter bottle to do this. Cut the bottom off the
bottle, insert the top into the gopher hole, and put dry ice is the
bottle. The cool CO2 will flow into the hole and force the oxygen out.

At least that is the theory. I have not tried it. But a good many
years ago a friend, Bill Torode, and I were looking for caves in
Northern Alabama. We found a sink hole with a lot of leaves in the
small entrance. We started in, but our acetylene lights went out when
we were about ten feet into the sink. We found that our light would
not stay lit below some level and figured it was CO2 gas in there. We
moved on and looked elsewhere.

Dan

Erik

In article . com,
"TwoGuns" wrote:

[...]

This won't use many of them... but for what it's worth.

I sometimes use one, (but usually a plastic gallon milk bottle) in my
shop for small 'sharp stuff' disposal... Exacto/snap/utility knife
blades, cotter keys small scraps of wire and the like. Anything small
and hazardous that tends to punch through plastic garbage bags.

Once full (usually takes months to years), I replace the cap, set the
whole thing in the garbage and replace with a new bottle.

Erik

If you fill it about half way with Kerosene, you can then put your
bicycle chain in the bottle and shake it.

This gives you an environmentally friendly way to clean the chain and
you can clean the chain many times in the same fluid.

Hope I'm not the only retired, car-free, old fart that likes to know
these things. :-)

Lewis.

Grunty Grogan

On 14 Oct 2005 16:03:40 -0700, "TwoGuns"
wrote:

Whump.
************************************************* ************************************************** *****************************

When I was a stupid teen a friend of mine and I had the brilliant idea
of filling a 30 gallon trash bag we had placed in an empty 55 gallon
drum with Oxy/AC .

We stuffed the trunk of a 1946 Ford Business Coupe with trashbags
inflated with oxyacetylene, and sparked it.
What was so stupid about the whole thing, yours and ours, was what a
static charge would have done to use while handling the inflated bags.
The car was destroyed, utterly.
A nieghbor who lived near the gravel pit where the Ford met its demise
was urinating at the time. At Zero, the sound and concussion made him
jump to the extent that he described the bathroom wall as "Looking
like a siesmograph".
The two liter bottles are a more reasonable size.
I had a nephew who wanted to demonstrate jet propulsion for school.
We pinned four little cardboard wheels to a 2-l Pepsi bottle, put in a
few drops of acetone, and rolled the bottel so the acetone was spread
on the walls, then lit ii with a lighter. There was a *FWOOSH* and a
blue flame, and the thing took off down the hallway, really booking.
He was afraid to bring it to school though.
Nowadats, I suppose the Secret Police would have given us twenty years
in some Gulag.
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:45:13 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

How to Organize Twine With a Bottle

1. Cut off the bottom of a plastic beverage
2. Place the bottle against a wall or pole with the drinking end pointed down.
3. Nail a 1-inch, large-head nail through the top back portion of the bottle
into the wall or pole.
4. Slide a roll of string inside the bottle.
5. Thread the string through the bottleneck.
6. Pull the string out as needed, and cut.

Wow, Grant. You must not be the frugal type. When I bought a big ball
of twine from HF, it was far too large for 2-liter or gallon jugs. It
sits on a nail and has unspooled from the inside out like a good
soldier for two decades now. I sometimes think it's a neverending
ball, and I only paid $3 or $4 for it.

* * Humorous T-shirts Online
* Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
* * http://www.diversify.com
Too_Many_Tools

More likely is that the decaying vegetation has used up the available
oxygen.

Excess carbon dioxide in your blood stream tells your body that you
need to find a better place to breathe.

Too little oxygen allows you to go to sleep forever.

You and your friend are lucky that you moved on.

TMT

Christopher Tidy

wrote:

And with a SMALL piece of dry ice and a little bit of water, they make a
great noisemaker.

Steve

Considered to be the equivlent of a pipe bomb in Illinois, mandatory jail
time even for minors.

That's ridiculous.

That is ridiculous. Even in the UK, with tight gun laws, I reckon you
could get away with that. When I was in school we had a crazy chemistry
demonstrator who mixed liquid nitrogen with water in a car washer
bottle, screwed on the cap and hurled it to the back of the lecture
theatre, where it exploded. We were 15 and loved it, but gun/terrorism
laws were strict even then, and the guy must have felt legally safe
doing it with about 100 kids.

Chris

Unknown

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:40:08 -0400, Doug Warner
wrote:

,;"Hugh Prescott" wrote:
,;
,;
,;"SteveB" wrote in message
,;news:hjX3f.15750$fE5.8187@fed1read06...
,;
,; And with a SMALL piece of dry ice and a little bit of water, they make a
,; great noisemaker.
,;
,; Steve
,;
,;Considered to be the equivlent of a pipe bomb in Illinois, mandatory jail
,;time even for minors.
,;
,;
,;In high school metal shop, the instructor did the three balloon demo:
,;1. Oxygen (popped when ignited)
,;2. Acetelyne. (Quick burst of yellow flame.)
,;3. Mixture, in small ballon. (Big bang, suprised students)
,;
,;I wonder if they still do this stunt today, and if they'd be arrested
,;for bomb making if they did..

It is a routine demonstration in chemistry courses but they usually
use hydrogen instead of acetylene.

The stoichiometric mixture provides a BIG BANG.

We used to do the rocket bottle thing using the one- and
two-litre bottles. The website that talks about high-schooler bottle
rocketry limited the pressure to 60 psi. We used 150 psi in the
two-litre bottles, and they would explode at around 180. The one-litre
bottles wouldn't bang even at 200 psi. Both would get around 300 feet
of altitude if done up right. A wad of whatever (compressed foam
rubber?) duct-taped to the nose, three cardboard fins on the side, and
a launcher that had a close-fitting, long tube that ran up all the way
into the bottle to maximize acceleration before the air began to
escape. There was an O-ring at the base to seal the neck and a fork
arrangement to capture the neck ring. A release mechanism operated by a
long string completed the weapon. Prudence dictated hiding behind a car
or something to avoid shrapnel should the thing fail.
That was in 1990. The bottles of today might be different.

Dan

Ron Thompson

"Ken Davey" wrote

Bottling homemade beer!
They are perfect.
They won't turn into grenades like glass bottles.
Those little depressions around the bottom trap the sediment.
The issue caps re-seal well.

Ken.

And with a SMALL piece of dry ice and a little bit of water, they make a
great noisemaker.

Steve

I used to drive a truck hauling liquid oxygen. We had a driver fired for putting
LOX in a 1 L bottle and capping it and tossing into a vacant parking lot. The
neighbor were really ****ed when it made enough pressure to explode. I
understand it was very loud!

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

Jim Stewart

Ron Thompson wrote:

"Ken Davey" wrote

Bottling homemade beer!
They are perfect.
They won't turn into grenades like glass bottles.
Those little depressions around the bottom trap the sediment.
The issue caps re-seal well.

Ken.

And with a SMALL piece of dry ice and a little bit of water, they make a
great noisemaker.

Steve

I used to drive a truck hauling liquid oxygen. We had a driver fired for putting
LOX in a 1 L bottle and capping it and tossing into a vacant parking lot. The
neighbor were really ****ed when it made enough pressure to explode. I
understand it was very loud!

I imagine it would be both loud and dangerous
what with the lox making the plastic hard and
brittle.

New Deck Ideas HotRod Home Repair 4 September 1st 05 09:07 AM
[?] Looking for ideas on how to 'deter' grey squirrels. David Chapman UK diy 35 April 13th 05 05:09 PM
Titanium Fuel Bottles Halcitron Metalworking 24 April 10th 05 02:01 AM
question on air compressors and Xmas gift ideas Kathleen Woodworking 2 November 25th 03 01:33 AM
question on air compressors and other xmas gift ideas Kathleen Woodworking 6 November 24th 03 07:26 PM