David Chapman

Default [?] Looking for ideas on how to 'deter' grey squirrels.

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!

These wretched scavengers go for any food that we put out to feed the
blue-tits and other small birds. They manage to steal complete fat-
balls, coconut halves and other delicacies despite my suspending these
items from tree branches using thin, greased, wires to make things more
difficult for them. It's been quite interesting trying to develop new
ideas to try and thwart them and see how innovative they can be in still
getting the bird's food, but it's now getting beyond a joke.

Has anyone in this NG found a satisfactory way to 'deter' grey
squirrels from a garden without actually using poison, electricity, or
other means of 'terminating them with extreme prejudice' ?

Are squirrel traps easy to make, and do they work? If I could catch a
few of the critters I'd take them a few miles away and release them,
hoping that they don't have such a good homing system as pigeons!

Ideas please!

TIA - Dave

David C.Chapman - )
doozer

David Chapman wrote:
[...]

I think you will have your work cut out trying to get rid of them by
catching them and moving them. Assuming you can catch them all next year
the ones a little further away will simply repopulate your local area.

I built a bird table recently and expected the local squirrel population
to be all over it. In fact they pretty much have left it alone. I think
the reason is because I gave it all a really good coat of exterior grade
varnish and their claws can't get a grip on it. I have spotted a couple
on there but they have jumped from the ground up to it (the table is
probably only 100 to 130 cm up). I think that is about the limit of what
they can jump vertically though as I have seen numerous squirrels fail
to make it - one of which brained itself on the edge of the table.

As for things hung on wires. I would get a large plant pot base (the
things that catch drips) and put a small hole in the middle. Tie a knot
in the wire and then thread it through the hole then hand the lot up. As
long as the flower pot base is wide though the squirrel won't be able to
reach round to grab the wire below. Of course the whole thing has to be
outside jumping range.
selfbuilder

I quite like this rspb chillie powder idea, apparently it won't bother
the birds at all -

http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advic...deterrents.asp

Chris Bacon

David Chapman wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!
snip
Has anyone in this NG found a satisfactory way to 'deter' grey
squirrels from a garden without actually using poison, electricity, or
other means of 'terminating them with extreme prejudice' ?

I've never heard a way to deter them that works. "Termination" is best.

Try a Fenn trap, although you need to be careful where you set these,
or you may catch birds or cats. Follow the instructions. They're about
a tenner. Bacon rind tied around the plate is good bait. Otherwise, a
"live trap" is useful 'cos you can see what you've caught. If it's a
grey squirrel, dunk the trap and contents into a water butt. Mind your
fingers, both Fenn traps and squirrels bite and they will have you if
they can! Don't put your fingers near a live squirrel! Other than that,
it's a steady hand, a steady eye, and an air rifle (at the legal non-
Firearm Certificate power limit), however this has the disadvantage
that you've got to hang around waiting.

Squirrels take both bird eggs and chicks, eat your flower bulbs, nibble
yout nuts, and can make a terrible mess of your wiring/insulation if
they get into the loft.
selfbuilder

Theres an article on Which? Online called "Living With Squirrels". You
can sign up for a free trial if you haven't got a login or I can email
you the main bits of it.

Alan

David Chapman wrote:
[...]

I agree with Chris - extermination by any means necessary is the best
thing. I think it should be the law... An air rifle is most effective.

Humane traps are very effective and simple to make. (I speak from
experience)
Look at the traps on www.tomahawklivetrap.com for some ideas. Basically
a cage open at one end with a hinged door held up with an arm which
releases the door when a squirrel steps on a plate once well in the
cage to get the food placed inside. You need some sort of latch to
prevent the door being pushed open and the cage needs to be made out of
squirrel proof material.
If you aren't up to making one then you can buy them in the UK - just
google for them.

Whether you move them or kill them, it will be a constant battle with
new squirrels moving in from outlying areas. I wish you luck.

Alan.

David Chapman

Squirrels take both bird eggs and chicks, eat your flower bulbs, nibble
yout nuts, ....

Aaaargh. That'll make you eyes water ;-)

- Dave.

David C.Chapman - )
TonyK

"David Chapman" wrote in message

[...]

A non-FAC air rifle is the only real answer. Unfortuantely rehoming them or
asking nicely doesn't help.

PS. Don't get too close, they gang up and remember, they are tree-rats.

Heds

David Chapman wrote:
snip
I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!

We cleared our local tree rats with my old Webley Vulcan.

They are tough little animals so you need a well placed shot.

Have been told that they are great on a BBQ as a small snack, but yet to
try this. Also, any fly fishing friends would be grateful for the tails.

/Heds
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:43:06 +0100, David Chapman
wrote:

I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!

Indeed. Leave them to it and squirrel-proof the bird table.

A squirrel can climb or slide _down_ almost anything, then jump off
the food to the floor. They're less good at climbing _up_ though, so
conical "rat funnels" on a vertical post will usually stop them. Make
them big enough, make them smooth (i.e. metal or glass), and dont;
have the table overlooked by a jumping platform.

--
Smert' spamionam

Mary Fisher

[...]

There are some ingenious devices which I intended tryingbut didn't get round
to it. But suddenly, in the last eight or nine months or so, they've stopped
visiting our garden. I can't understand why, except that one of our banties
really did take exception to them. None of the other hens ever had an
effect, it might be pure co-incidence.

Are squirrel traps easy to make, and do they work? If I could catch a
few of the critters I'd take them a few miles away and release them,
hoping that they don't have such a good homing system as pigeons!

More would come in to fill the gap

Mary

Owain

Chris Bacon wrote:
...If it's a grey squirrel, dunk the trap and contents into a
water butt. Mind your fingers, both Fenn traps and squirrels
bite and they will have you if they can!

When I was at kindergarten Teacher thought it was a good idea to have a
squirrel in a cage in the classroom to teach us little ones about "Nature".

Don't put your fingers near a live squirrel!

It's on the front page of the newspapers today about children leaving
primary school unable to read in England. I could read before entering
primary school, perhaps schools should bring back the squirrel.

Owain

Simon

"doozer" wrote in message
David Chapman wrote:
[...]

More fun to hang the bird feeder over a pond. They can slide down the string
to the bird food but from there there is only one way they can go.

The Natural Philosopher

David Chapman wrote:

Has anyone in this NG found a satisfactory way to 'deter' grey
squirrels from a garden without actually using poison, electricity, or
other means of 'terminating them with extreme prejudice' ?

Air rifle is good sport.
You can eat them too.

Oh. You want a non lethal way

Simple. Don't leave food out.

Mungo Henning

"TonyK" wrote in message ...
"David Chapman" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!

Is there not a natural predator that would attack squirrels?
Maybe the odour of a ferret might deter the little pests?

Just my tuppence worth.

Mungo

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:50:36 +0000 (UTC), "Simon"
wrote:

More fun to hang the bird feeder over a pond. They can slide down the string
to the bird food but from there there is only one way they can go.

Big catfish too.

Mary Fisher

"Holly in France" wrote in message

In an old house we once renovated there was a set up to cause rats to fall
into a barrel of water, took us some time to find out what it was! I'm not
sure that even it's real purpose but old local farmers etc couldn't come
up
with anything more likely. Basically it was a wire strung across the roof
with pieces of slate with a hole drilled in the middle threaded onto it.
The rats would apparently cross the wire, be unable to turn, try to climb
onto the slate which would then spin round causing them to fall into the
water. If you were to hang a birdtable, nuts, fat balls etc off a wire
like this, between two largish (so they couldn't jump over it) bits of
spinning slate/board etc, I wonder if it might work for squirrels too??
Just a thought....

It's one of the common ways of dealing with them, it's been aired here
before I'm sure.

Mary

Holly in France

wrote:

I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!

Indeed. Leave them to it and squirrel-proof the bird table.

A squirrel can climb or slide _down_ almost anything, then jump off
the food to the floor. They're less good at climbing _up_ though, so
conical "rat funnels" on a vertical post will usually stop them. Make
them big enough, make them smooth (i.e. metal or glass), and dont;
have the table overlooked by a jumping platform.

We only have red squirrels here, and not too many of them, so I leave them
to it.

In an old house we once renovated there was a set up to cause rats to fall
into a barrel of water, took us some time to find out what it was! I'm not
sure that even it's real purpose but old local farmers etc couldn't come up
with anything more likely. Basically it was a wire strung across the roof
with pieces of slate with a hole drilled in the middle threaded onto it.
The rats would apparently cross the wire, be unable to turn, try to climb
onto the slate which would then spin round causing them to fall into the
water. If you were to hang a birdtable, nuts, fat balls etc off a wire
like this, between two largish (so they couldn't jump over it) bits of
spinning slate/board etc, I wonder if it might work for squirrels too??
Just a thought....

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne
http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr
David Chapman

Many thanks to all who posted interesting, practical, amusing and some
downright dangerous suggestions. Much appreciated.

I'll certainly be trying some of them very soon.

ATB - Dave

David C.Chapman - )
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:16:12 +0100, Holly in France
wrote:

In an old house we once renovated there was a set up to cause rats to fall
into a barrel of water, took us some time to find out what it was!

I wouldn't recommend it.

I once had a rat-drowning tank in an attic (not deliberate). As it
took seemingly _days_ to drown a rat (you could hear squeaking) it was
easier to give them a ramp to climb out on.

Holly in France

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:13:29 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Holly in France" wrote in message

If you were to hang a birdtable, nuts, fat balls etc off a wire
like this, between two largish (so they couldn't jump over it) bits of
spinning slate/board etc, I wonder if it might work for squirrels too??
Just a thought....

It's one of the common ways of dealing with them,

Is it? Oh well, great minds think alike then :-)

it's been aired here before I'm sure.

Quite possibly, not as far as I have seen in this thread though? In fact
come to think of it, I think I have posted about the rat trap idea here
before, I might even have thought of it for squirrels before and forgotten
it again!

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne
http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr
Mary Fisher

"Holly in France" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:13:29 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Holly in France" wrote in message

If you were to hang a birdtable, nuts, fat balls etc off a wire
like this, between two largish (so they couldn't jump over it) bits of
spinning slate/board etc, I wonder if it might work for squirrels too??
Just a thought....

It's one of the common ways of dealing with them,

Is it? Oh well, great minds think alike then :-)

It wasn't my idea!

But if I wanted to kill squirrels, which I don't, it would have been one I'd
try.

On the other hand, a squirrel once got itself into one of our ponds and out
again. There's nothing quite so miserable as a sodden squirrel but it did
get out of a sheer sided plastic lined pond so it might have done from a
barrel.

Mary

Rick

On 7 Apr 2005 08:03:05 -0700, "selfbuilder"
wrote:

I quite like this rspb chillie powder idea, apparently it won't bother
the birds at all -

http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advic...deterrents.asp

1) dog
2) gun

Aparently them make nice pies. My neighbour (the game keeper) dogs
live on squirrels / rabbits and the odd fox. Not that the dogs catch
them, he shoots them & cooks em up .....

Rick
Sue

In message , David Chapman
writes

Many thanks to all who posted interesting, practical, amusing and some
downright dangerous suggestions. Much appreciated.

I'll certainly be trying some of them very soon.

Don't try the barbecue one, or if you must, stew the squirrels first.
Same applies to making pies of them - cook them until they're tender
before you put the pie crust on.

Don't think of them as rats, they get a clean diet and are fine to eat.
Slow cooking is best for them, and then they're very good.

--
Sue ]
Mary Fisher

"Sue" wrote in message

Don't try the barbecue one, or if you must, stew the squirrels first.
Same applies to making pies of them - cook them until they're tender
before you put the pie crust on.

In my experience only the back legs have enough meat on them to make them
worthwhile - but that is extremely good. The worst part is taking off the
skin, it's very firmly adhered.

Barbecuing isn't a suitable way of cooking, I can't see the point in stewing
and then grilling. I cook the whole legs in the oven, covered, with
seasoning and perhaps onion or garlic, and a little oil or fat but no water.
I wouldn't put them in a pie, I like to hold the bone and bite off the flesh
as I do with bird legs.

Don't think of them as rats, they get a clean diet and are fine to eat.

They're not rats.

Rats are edible, again only the back legs unless you're starving as some
people who've eaten them have been. What an animal eats has no bearing on
its flesh.

Mary

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:25:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

What an animal eats has no bearing on
its flesh.

BSE and cannibal cows ?

I've heard there are also BSE(sic) risks to squirrel in West Virginia,
where they're a commonplace diet item in some of the more rustic
parts.
Mary Fisher

wrote:

What an animal eats has no bearing on
its flesh.

BSE and cannibal cows ?

a) the flavour of flesh wasn't changed

b) the nervous system was where the 'infection' was.

I've heard there are also BSE(sic) risks to squirrel in West Virginia,
where they're a commonplace diet item in some of the more rustic
parts.

So have I. but again only the nervous system would be infected.

The problem with BSE infected animals was that every part of the caracase
was used by some 'food' manufacturers - mechanically recovered meat (MRM)
contained everything. Everything.

I was happy to continue eating cattle flesh and offal but would never and
have never eaten commercially produces pies, pates, sausages - anything
which could contain unknowns.

Mary

Holly in France

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:30:43 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Holly in France" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:13:29 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Holly in France" wrote in message

If you were to hang a birdtable, nuts, fat balls etc off a wire
like this, between two largish (so they couldn't jump over it) bits of
spinning slate/board etc, I wonder if it might work for squirrels too??
Just a thought....

It's one of the common ways of dealing with them,

Is it? Oh well, great minds think alike then :-)

It wasn't my idea!

I know, but it was mine! :-) Not originally apparently, but in that I
thought of it independently.

But if I wanted to kill squirrels, which I don't, it would have been one I'd
try.

Perhaps this wasn't clear - I wasn't suggesting it as method of killing
them, just of making them fall off before they reached the birdtable.

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne
http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr
Holly in France

wrote:

In an old house we once renovated there was a set up to cause rats to fall
into a barrel of water, took us some time to find out what it was!

I wouldn't recommend it.

I never saw it in action, and having read about your experience I wouldn't
recommend it either.

I once had a rat-drowning tank in an attic (not deliberate). As it
took seemingly _days_ to drown a rat (you could hear squeaking) it was
easier to give them a ramp to climb out on.

Rats do swim well don't they, so I suppose it would take them a long time
to drown :-( Ugh...

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne
http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr
Mary Fisher

"Holly in France" wrote in message

It's one of the common ways of dealing with them,

Is it? Oh well, great minds think alike then :-)

It wasn't my idea!

I know, but it was mine! :-) Not originally apparently, but in that I
thought of it independently.

I've occasionally thought of something brilliant and been devastated when
I've discovered it wasn't original. How are the mighty fallen :-)

The older you get the more often it happens, you get used to it ... :-(

But if I wanted to kill squirrels, which I don't, it would have been one
I'd
try.

Perhaps this wasn't clear - I wasn't suggesting it as method of killing
them, just of making them fall off before they reached the birdtable.

They might drown ...

Mary

Chris Bacon

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message...
"Mary Fisher":
What an animal eats has no bearing on
its flesh.

BSE and cannibal cows ?

a) the flavour of flesh wasn't changed

What animals eat can change the taste of their meat. Anyway, why are
you continually polluting this group with this sort of rubbish? Try
u.r.f+d.m or alt.useless.tittle-tattle in future, please.
Mary Fisher

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message...
"Mary Fisher":
What an animal eats has no bearing on
its flesh.

BSE and cannibal cows ?

a) the flavour of flesh wasn't changed

What animals eat can change the taste of their meat.

That's true. But that wasn't the point of the answer.

Anyway, why are
you continually polluting this group with this sort of rubbish? Try
u.r.f+d.m or alt.useless.tittle-tattle in future, please.

Why are you reading my posts?

And what's u.r.f+d.m?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Geoffrey" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:06:06 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

And what's u.r.f+d.m?

uk.rec.food+drink.misc?

Geoffrey! Where've you been hiding?

Mary

Holly in France

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:43:49 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Holly in France" wrote in message

It's one of the common ways of dealing with them,

Is it? Oh well, great minds think alike then :-)

It wasn't my idea!

I know, but it was mine! :-) Not originally apparently, but in that I
thought of it independently.

I've occasionally thought of something brilliant and been devastated when
I've discovered it wasn't original. How are the mighty fallen :-)

Quite :-) My best ever idea was in the early 80s when I was watching my
brother in law painstakingly cutting the stencil for lettering a headstone.
Thought this could be done by computer using DTP software or similar, as
long as one could find someone to develop a cutting machine. But, oh no,
everyone thought that stonemasons would never be interested in such a
high-tech new-fangled thing. But....ALL the headstones are done this way
now, they even use this system for light marking of stone which is to be
V-cut by hand. Only very unusual lettering or designs are set out manually
these days. I should have taken out a patent on the idea at the time, might
have been a millionaire by now instead of struggling with digger tyres :-)

The older you get the more often it happens, you get used to it ... :-(

Thanks for the warning :-)

But if I wanted to kill squirrels, which I don't, it would have been one
I'd
try.

Perhaps this wasn't clear - I wasn't suggesting it as method of killing
them, just of making them fall off before they reached the birdtable.

They might drown ...

I just meant to hang up the birdtable on the wires in mid-air, not over
barrels of water.

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne
http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr
Owain

Holly in France wrote:
Quite :-) My best ever idea was in the early 80s when I was watching my
brother in law painstakingly cutting the stencil for lettering a headstone.
Thought this could be done by computer using DTP software or similar, as
long as one could find someone to develop a cutting machine. But, oh no,
everyone thought that stonemasons would never be interested in such a
high-tech new-fangled thing.

In a student project in the 1980s on bank marketing I suggested my
'client' bank should have 24-hour call centres to deal with customer
enquiries. I even suggested they be located in areas of low labour cost
to reduce high street branch overheads. What a totally impractical idea
that was.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message

In a student project in the 1980s on bank marketing I suggested my
'client' bank should have 24-hour call centres to deal with customer
enquiries. I even suggested they be located in areas of low labour cost to
reduce high street branch overheads. What a totally impractical idea that
was.

You're very brave, admitting to be the author of that!

Mary

Owain