SteveB

Default Suzie Homemaker Question

How do you get pine sap out of clothes in the washing machine?

Tim Wescott

SteveB wrote:

How do you get pine sap out of clothes in the washing machine?

I would climb into the washing machine with a jar of peanut butter and
try dissolving it. Then I'd pre-wash everything with warm water and
dishwashing (yes, dishwashing) detergent to get out the peanut butter,
wring things dry, climb out and run the cloths as normal with laundry
detergent.

But it would be much more comfortable to do the first three steps
standing at a sink.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Leo Lichtman

"Tim Wescott" wrote: (clip) peanut butter (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Peanut butter? Really? I would have thought of turpentine, since it is a
solvent made from pine.

Tim Wescott

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote: (clip) peanut butter (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Peanut butter? Really? I would have thought of turpentine, since it is a
solvent made from pine.

Peanut oil (or other vegetable oil) is an excellent solvent for any kind
of tree sap and many gummy, sticky contact cements as well as some
petroleum products, and it's gentle on most household items. On smooth
surfaces the ground-up peanuts act as a gentle abrasive to speed
cleaning. I recently got a setup CD for a wireless link all gummy with
contact (they had the CD envelope closed with the stuff!). I washed it
a couple of times in vegetable oil, then washed the oil off with
dishwashing detergent -- it worked fine.

I don't know so much about cloths, but I'd try peanut butter first.
It'll either fix the problem or mess things up so bad that washing them
is out of the question -- either way you'd have an answer.

Correction: I'd try peanut butter _second_. Unless the sap was soaked
in I'd _first_ try putting the cloths into the deep freeze so I could
peel the little solid pieces of sap off. Once again, getting the deep
freeze into a washing machine will be a pain, but that's what the OP
wants, so he can go shopping for one small enough.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
RoyJ

Pinesol or any of the true pine cleaners. Rub it in to the offending
area, wash as per usual. You may have to rewash to get the pinesol smell
out.

SteveB wrote:
How do you get pine sap out of clothes in the washing machine?

Rex B

Two things I use for grease spots in clothes that might work:

first is any good hand cleaner, like Gojo, Joe's, or Permatex Fast
Orange. I've had best results with Joe's. Rub it in real good and drop
in the washer.

2nd is the hand cleaners sold in paint stores to remove paint, which
might be what you need to cut tree sap. Not sure how easy that stuff is
on clothing, so spot-check it first.
I suspect almost anything sold as a handcleaner won't stain clothes,
because inevitably a hand cleaner will wind up on sleeves occasionally.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

SteveB wrote:
How do you get pine sap out of clothes in the washing machine?

surftom

I second the Orange hand-cleaner route - I have the Zep one and have
used it on pine tar.

Robert Swinney

First, be sure you remove the clothes from the sap.

Bob Swinney
"SteveB" wrote in message
How do you get pine sap out of clothes in the washing machine?

Grant Erwin

SteveB wrote:

How do you get pine sap out of clothes in the washing machine?

I recently was talked into buying a gallon of Castrol Purple Cleaner
concentrate. Boy is that stuff effective on carpet spots! You have to pay strict
attention to how it's diluted, because straight it would no doubt just dissolve
most fabrics. I have used it on some stubborn stains on my work clothes, with
success.

GWE
Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
SteveB wrote:

How do you get pine sap out of clothes in the washing machine?

I recently was talked into buying a gallon of Castrol Purple Cleaner
concentrate. Boy is that stuff effective on carpet spots! You have to
pay strict attention to how it's diluted, because straight it would no
doubt just dissolve most fabrics. I have used it on some stubborn stains
on my work clothes, with success.

GWE

Makes good parts washer solvent too.

Ken Davey

Rex B wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:
SteveB wrote:

How do you get pine sap out of clothes in the washing machine?

Me! Me! Hand in air!!
I got an answer!
Pre condition the fabric thusly:
Work a thick paste of baking soda and water into the stained area. Work it
hard!
Then throw into the mchine.
Let me know how it turns out.

Sincerely.
Ken

BTW - A paste of baking soda also removes pine sap from your hands.

Randy Replogle

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:24:07 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember using peanut butter ad patience to remove chewing
gum from one of the kids' hair when they were little.
Randy

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM