Terry Keeley

Default Help identify milling vise?

Got this 4" vise with my Clausing 8520:

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/thumbnails.php?album=316

Plate reads:

Athol Mach. & Fdy. Co.
Athol, Mass. USA
Vise No. 1024

Trying to find some info in it, google or Thomas Register show nothing.
Thanks!

John Martin

Terry Keeley (no spam or mail) wrote:
Got this 4" vise with my Clausing 8520:

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/thumbnails.php?album=316

Plate reads:

Athol Mach. & Fdy. Co.
Athol, Mass. USA
Vise No. 1024

Trying to find some info in it, google or Thomas Register show nothing.
Thanks!

Athol Vise was either started by or absorbed by L.S. Starrett. Not
sure of the relationship between Athol Machine & Foundry and Athol
Vise, but it may be the same.

In any event, Starrett sold a # 1024 milling machine vise. I believe
it's been discontinued, though.

John Martin

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Terry Keeley" tkee(no spam)@(or mail)rogers.com wrote in message
Thanks for the help, couldn't find any info though. Maybe I'll try
Starrett...
Got this 4" vise with my Clausing 8520:

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/thumbnails.php?album=316

Plate reads:

Athol Mach. & Fdy. Co.
Athol, Mass. USA
Vise No. 1024

That sure looks like a Brown & Sharpe clone! Could this have been made
during war years?

LLoyd

Terry Keeley

It is in very good shape but the jaws are quite dinged up and I'd like to
find new ones if possible. I'd also like to know if its a quality vise and
maybe get some specs on squarness etc. Guess I'm really trying to decide
whether to keep it or replace it with a newer Kurt or something...

Terry Keeley wrote:

Thanks for the help, couldn't find any info though. Maybe I'll try
Starrett...

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Terry Keeley (no spam or mail) wrote:

Got this 4" vise with my Clausing 8520:

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/thumbnails.php?album=316

Plate reads:

Athol Mach. & Fdy. Co.
Athol, Mass. USA
Vise No. 1024

Trying to find some info in it, google or Thomas Register show nothing.
Thanks!

Athol Vise was either started by or absorbed by L.S. Starrett. Not
sure of the relationship between Athol Machine & Foundry and Athol
Vise, but it may be the same.

In any event, Starrett sold a # 1024 milling machine vise. I believe
it's been discontinued, though.

John Martin

Martin H. Eastburn

Make several sets. Some soft some hard some so-so.
You can do it if you have a shaper or a mill.

My dad did it for my large bench vise on the lathe and by hand.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Terry Keeley wrote:

Thanks for the help, couldn't find any info though. Maybe I'll try
Starrett...

"John Martin" wrote in message
egroups.com...

Terry Keeley (no spam or mail) wrote:

Got this 4" vise with my Clausing 8520:

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/thumbnails.php?album=316

Plate reads:

Athol Mach. & Fdy. Co.
Athol, Mass. USA
Vise No. 1024

Trying to find some info in it, google or Thomas Register show nothing.
Thanks!

Athol Vise was either started by or absorbed by L.S. Starrett. Not
sure of the relationship between Athol Machine & Foundry and Athol
Vise, but it may be the same.

In any event, Starrett sold a # 1024 milling machine vise. I believe
it's been discontinued, though.

John Martin

John Martin

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

That sure looks like a Brown & Sharpe clone! Could this have been made
during war years?

LLoyd

Not Brown & Sharpe, but Starrett.

Terry emailed me to say that he had contacted Starrett and that they
had bought the vise company 25 years ago and had just recently sold it
to Yost. I think that's wrong though, because I believe it was bought
during the days that LS was there, and he died in 1922.

If my father in law was still around, I'd ask him. He'd know, I think,
as he started working full time for the company in 1941 and, except for
a couple of years during WWII, was still putting in 40++ hour weeks
when he died in 2001.

LS Starrett purchased more than a few companies in his day. Among
them, Union Twist Drill. Much of it is detailed in "The Starrett
Story", a small booklet which is still available, I think, free from
the company. It's pretty interesting reading.

John Martin