Nigel Eaton

Default Myford problems

Hi all,

I've been trying to help Ed Haas of R.C.M. with a snag he's been having
with his Super 7B.

Myford's email has been bouncing, and he wasn't able to contact them.
I've been in touch with them once by phone, but have been unable to get
through since.

Frankly, my experience so far suggests that Myford need to get their
customer service act together, but that's another thread.

Ed's problem is described in this email:

Subject: Super 7B problems!

--Hello! I've got a number of problems with my lathe and now
that I've got some time I want to tackle them and set all to rights.
--I bought the lathe new around 1980; not sure of serial number.

(Subsequently found to be SK 156117 - Nigel)

but the number in the upper right corner of the manual is 5723V if that
helps..
--First problem: countershaft clutch has stopped working, i.e. I
cant disengage rotation. Instead when I rotate the lever I can see a
visible bending of the casting, which suggests to me some sort of
binding within the left end's bearing. I've been thru the manual and
adjustments suggested there are having no effect. I'm trying to figure
out how to remove the shaft to inspect the problem. I've loosened the
hexagon nut (2) and I've backed out the pushrod (1) as far as I can.
I've removed the two socket head screws that secure the Driver Plate
(104), but I can't seem to remove this piece. I suspect I'm doing
something wrong and, before I do more damage, could you advise me as to
the proper method of disassembling the thing?

--Second problem: I'm making some parts for a friend. They're
over 5 in. long, which is more than the travel of the tailstock (using
the ram lever accessory), so changing parts (using the collet closer)
necessitates unlocking the tailstock and moving it back a few inches
every time I chage a part. What I'd like to do is increase the travel of
the tailstock to make this move unnecessary, so I'm planning to drill
and tap the righthand end of the shaft with a setscrew, then press in an
extension. This will give me a place to attach a new lever arm, so that
the chuck can be made to travel farther. What boggles my brain is how to
re-egineer the ram lever and it's "bellcrank" geometry. If anyone has
been down this road before I'd be obliged for any advice.

--Third problem: after 25 years of use I suspect the time has
come to disassemble the headstock and inspect the innards. I'd also like
any advice you might have about accomplishing this.

--Well there you are; any chance you'll post some how-to .pdf
files to the the website any time soon? Thanks,

Having failed miserably in my attempt to help Ed, I'm now off on my
travels tomorrow, so I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help.

I've X-posted this to R.C.M. so that Ed will see it.

Thanks guys!

--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester
and assorted other stuff, every problem looks like a steam engine.