Liza

Default How do I remagnetize magnetic sterling silver jewelry clasps?

I purchased a magnetic jewelry clasp and feel it's a bit weak. Is there
a way to re-magnetize it?

Jeff Wisnia

Liza wrote:
I purchased a magnetic jewelry clasp and feel it's a bit weak. Is there
a way to re-magnetize it?

It probaly can't be easily magnetized to be much stronger than it is
already, unless you feel for sure that it was once stronger and has
really been been demagnetized.

Better to replace the magnet with a high energy type. If you pick an
appropriate size you can probably mount it with epoxy.

Try looking at what this company has, there's some very samll ones on
their website, and they are amazingly strong, psarticularly if you use a
pair of them pulling on each other.

http://tinyurl.com/cm6s

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Foreman

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:47:33 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Liza wrote:
I purchased a magnetic jewelry clasp and feel it's a bit weak. Is there
a way to re-magnetize it?

It probaly can't be easily magnetized to be much stronger than it is
already, unless you feel for sure that it was once stronger and has
really been been demagnetized.

Better to replace the magnet with a high energy type. If you pick an
appropriate size you can probably mount it with epoxy.

Try looking at what this company has, there's some very samll ones on
their website, and they are amazingly strong, psarticularly if you use a
pair of them pulling on each other.

http://tinyurl.com/cm6s

HTH,

Jeff

Find someone who has a Sonicare electric toothbrush. They replace the
brushes periodically. Each discarded brush has two little
supermagnets 0.1" x 0.2" x 0.4". These are STRONG magnets. You
could slice off a smaller piece to suit with a Dremel and abrasive
wheel or diamond wheel. Go slow, don't let it get too hot. Might be
best to do it wet. You might wrap the magnet in paper so most of the
dust from the cut can be removed with the paper . Then epoxy or
superglue the wee bit to your jewellry.

You might be able to just nick the magnet with the diamond wheel, then
crack it with pliers. Less dust.

Gunner

wrote:

Liza wrote:
I purchased a magnetic jewelry clasp and feel it's a bit weak. Is there
a way to re-magnetize it?

It probaly can't be easily magnetized to be much stronger than it is
already, unless you feel for sure that it was once stronger and has
really been been demagnetized.

Better to replace the magnet with a high energy type. If you pick an
appropriate size you can probably mount it with epoxy.

Try looking at what this company has, there's some very samll ones on
their website, and they are amazingly strong, psarticularly if you use a
pair of them pulling on each other.

http://tinyurl.com/cm6s

HTH,

Jeff

Some of those are so powerful..Im not sure Id be comfortable having a
woman I care about using a pair to hold her earrings on with. The
blood blister would be hidious.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Nick Hull

wrote:

Liza wrote:
[...]

You can get really good tiny magnets in every AOL box you get as junk
mail. Just dig the matnetic latch out, and the keeper too if you want
that too.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/