Default Needed: Small Standardized Parts

Are there any amateur inventors here who frequently buy small metal
parts?(Parts that may need little in the way of machining).

I was hoping to get ideas about where to get preferrably standardized
parts that are relatively simple geometric shapes for the projects I'd
like to put together.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Adam

Misumi (http://misumiusa.com) is good and I would also recommend Stock
Drive Products (http://www.sdp-si.com/index.asp) for gears, pulleys,
couplings, etc...

Besides those, Mcmaster Carr (mcmaster.com) is pretty much one of the
best sources for off-the-shelf odds and ends. Best website I've ever
used, incredible customer service, and they ship stuff out lighning
fast (I once placed an order @ 4PM and got the part the next morning...
and that was with Ground shipping).

oldjag wrote:
Check out Mitsumi; they have a large range of semi-standard quick ship
parts which they customise various features for small addtional charges
:)

Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:

Are there any amateur inventors here who frequently buy small metal
parts?(Parts that may need little in the way of machining).

I was hoping to get ideas about where to get preferrably standardized
parts that are relatively simple geometric shapes for the projects I'd
like to put together.

I'm not an inventor. But I often buy a bewildering array of small to medium
metal things. I have a milling machine and a lathe and use them a fair amount,
and I can say that in my experience very little that I do is standard. I do tend
to work with what's out there, like angle iron, plate, pipe, tube or flat bar,
but I doubt you're going to be able to find standard shapes like you want.
You'll probably have to either figure out how to make them, or pay people to
make them for you. And most shops stay the hell away from inventors, so don't
let on that's what you are. They tend to have very vague specifications, and
really want a boatload of engineering thrown in for free, and tend to have
little money and zero credit, and are often living in their sister's garage.

GWE

Tim Wescott

Grant Erwin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My kid says: "I want to be an inventor when I grow up".

I shudder and say "no, you want to be an engineer, get paid to invent
stuff that actually works, and not have to take it in the shorts when
the marketing concept was all screwed up".

He hasn't seen the light yet, but if he wants us to pay for his room and
board after he's 18 he's gonna have to be going to school taking
something that may someday help him to get a job. It helps that I
listed all the talents you need to be an "inventor" and pointed out that
they are all taught in engineering schools.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

There are standardized SHAPES used to make custom structural parts with
only a saw and a drill press.

I make a lot of things out of aluminum and steel angle, flat bars,
tubing and drill rod.

In electronics we make almost all mechanical parts from 1/16" aluminum
sheet and heatsink extrusions.

You can make simple moving parts with round rod and bronze bushings
from a hardware store. Model airplane stores have a fairly good
selection of useful items such as tedlescoping brass tubing.

jw

jw

Doug Arthurs

haven't been to forum for a dogs age but thought I'd chip in here. My
company buys from Reid Tool in Muskegan Michigan. They have all sorts of
handle knobs and suchlike.

carl mciver

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Are there any amateur inventors here who frequently buy small metal
| parts?(Parts that may need little in the way of machining).
|
| I was hoping to get ideas about where to get preferrably standardized
| parts that are relatively simple geometric shapes for the projects I'd
| like to put together.
|
| Any advice would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Darren Harris
| Staten Island, New York.

Okay, time to play twenty questions. Do you need fasteners? Do you
need tooling? Do you need blocks and chunks of various patterns and
extrusions? If you're doing artwork, just offer that up. More detail would
help you immensely.

oldjag

Sorry wayne, name is Misumi, and here is the link: www.misumiusa.com