T.Alan Kraus

Default which steel for load?

I have the choice of 4140, 1018, 12L14, 1045 cold rolled, W1 Drill rod,
O1 Drillrod, A2 Drillrod for a 1.125 diameter round piece that is going
to be subjected to approx 400 lb of load in compression and subject to
axial loads of approx 200 lb for brief times. Without heat treating what
would you choose, and if heat treating to R 30-35 what would you choose?
Obviously if heat treating the selection would be minus 1018 and 12L14,
am I right? By the way the rod is only going to be max 2 ft long and
supported for about 6" at one end.

thanks
T.Alan
Richard J Kinch

T.Alan Kraus writes:

I have the choice of 4140, 1018, 12L14, 1045 cold rolled, W1 Drill rod,
O1 Drillrod, A2 Drillrod for a 1.125 diameter round piece that is going
to be subjected to approx 400 lb of load in compression and subject to
axial loads of approx 200 lb for brief times. Without heat treating what
would you choose, and if heat treating to R 30-35 what would you choose?
Obviously if heat treating the selection would be minus 1018 and 12L14,
am I right? By the way the rod is only going to be max 2 ft long and
supported for about 6" at one end.

Any of those alloys in that diameter will support much larger loads. I
would go with 1018 based on cost unless there is some other constraint.
Mike Young

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message
I have the choice of 4140, 1018, 12L14, 1045 cold rolled, W1 Drill rod, O1
Drillrod, A2 Drillrod for a 1.125 diameter round piece that is going to be
subjected to approx 400 lb of load in compression and subject to axial
loads of approx 200 lb for brief times. Without heat treating what would
you choose, and if heat treating to R 30-35 what would you choose?
Obviously if heat treating the selection would be minus 1018 and 12L14, am
I right? By the way the rod is only going to be max 2 ft long and
supported for about 6" at one end.

Fixed one end, and cantilevered? or simple support other end? Also, not sure
what distinction you draw between compression and axial load. In any case,
the loads are light. A 1" round bar will need a yield stress higher than 8
ksi for the worst case cantilever. Almost anything stronger than popsicle
sticks will support that, unless you're worried about deflection. How far
can it move?

T.Alan Kraus

Mike Young wrote:

Fixed one end, and cantilevered? or simple support other end? Also, not
sure what distinction you draw between compression and axial load. In
any case, the loads are light. A 1" round bar will need a yield stress
higher than 8 ksi for the worst case cantilever. Almost anything
stronger than popsicle sticks will support that, unless you're worried
about deflection. How far can it move?

fixed at one end, and I meant radial load or a load at 90 degrees to the
lenght of the bar.

Thanks
T.Alan