Default Question on Bussman Fuses BAF2 and FNM2

I blew the fuse on my Powermatic lathe today when I miswired a
component in the circuit. The original fuse was probably as old as the
lathe which is about 30 years old. It was a Bussman BAF2. When it blew
all of the "real" electric stores were closed for the day and will not
ope until Monday. I found Bussman FNM2 which is the same size but it
is not an instant blow like the BAF2. The FNM2 is a time delay fuse and
Bussman's catalog said it was for inductive circuits. The BAF2 states
that it is for non-inductive circuits. This fuse protects the coil on
the lathe.

Any thoughts on temporarily using this fuse until Monday?

I have corrected the wiring error and everything should be OK but what
will happen to the coil if this is not a "quick blow" and there is a
short or fault?

Thanks for any help. -Steve

Tom Gardner

wrote in message
oups.com...
I blew the fuse on my Powermatic lathe today when I miswired a
component in the circuit. The original fuse was probably as old as the
lathe which is about 30 years old. It was a Bussman BAF2. When it blew
all of the "real" electric stores were closed for the day and will not
ope until Monday. I found Bussman FNM2 which is the same size but it
is not an instant blow like the BAF2. The FNM2 is a time delay fuse and
Bussman's catalog said it was for inductive circuits. The BAF2 states
that it is for non-inductive circuits. This fuse protects the coil on
the lathe.

Any thoughts on temporarily using this fuse until Monday?

I have corrected the wiring error and everything should be OK but what
will happen to the coil if this is not a "quick blow" and there is a
short or fault?

Thanks for any help. -Steve

You haven't had a fuse quandary until you try and ascertain what gauge wire
you will use to bypass the fuse to get a job done.

George

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Ha, correct.

I well remember one dark night in Viet Nam when I discovered that the
top three inches of a center tent pole for a gp medium when hack sawed
off would work as a replacement for a FRN of any amperage. No problem,
no quandry!

George Vigneron
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 06:40:28 -0500, George wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

One of the local electrical houses has a plaque with various items
marked as fuse replacements, and their amp ratings

empty 22lr cartridge was rated at 50 amps
16penny nail was rated at 100 amps
etc etc etc..

Funny as hell

Gunner, who has wrapped a burned out automotive fuse with cigarette
foil to make it home.

" wrote:

I blew the fuse on my Powermatic lathe today when I miswired a
component in the circuit. The original fuse was probably as old as the
lathe which is about 30 years old. It was a Bussman BAF2. When it blew
all of the "real" electric stores were closed for the day and will not
ope until Monday. I found Bussman FNM2 which is the same size but it
is not an instant blow like the BAF2. The FNM2 is a time delay fuse and
Bussman's catalog said it was for inductive circuits. The BAF2 states
that it is for non-inductive circuits. This fuse protects the coil on
the lathe.

Any thoughts on temporarily using this fuse until Monday?

I have corrected the wiring error and everything should be OK but what
will happen to the coil if this is not a "quick blow" and there is a
short or fault?

Thanks for any help. -Steve

Well, wherever the fault is will be ez to diagnose, it will be the
burned up parts.

You could go to your local radio shack and get a 2 amp fast blow glass
fuse and one of those inline fuse holders and put that in. If you
didn't fix your initial problem, you will be happier.

Wes

DoN. Nichols

According to Gunner Asch :
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 06:40:28 -0500, George wrote:

[ ... ]

One of the local electrical houses has a plaque with various items
marked as fuse replacements, and their amp ratings

empty 22lr cartridge was rated at 50 amps
16penny nail was rated at 100 amps
etc etc etc..

So -- what is the rating for a still loaded .22LR? It would
probably cook off at some lower current than the empty could handle. I
guess that it could count as a slow-blow in that mode. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Tom Gardner

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 06:40:28 -0500, George wrote:

empty 22lr cartridge was rated at 50 amps

What's the rating for a loaded 22lr ?

Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:38:21 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 06:40:28 -0500, George wrote:

empty 22lr cartridge was rated at 50 amps

What's the rating for a loaded 22lr ?

Mythbusters tried that - to get a .22 LR shell to go off reliably
you need more than just the roughly 20 amp headlight load. You need
a short circuit across the fuse holder, a good 100A or more, and the
shell will fire like you pulled the trigger...

But then again, if you blew the fuse in the first place, you might
have a short in the wiring harness that will ground out again with the
rifle shell subbing for the last blown fuse...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Gunner Asch

wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 06:40:28 -0500, George wrote:

empty 22lr cartridge was rated at 50 amps

What's the rating for a loaded 22lr ?

Mythbusters tried that - to get a .22 LR shell to go off reliably
you need more than just the roughly 20 amp headlight load. You need
a short circuit across the fuse holder, a good 100A or more, and the
shell will fire like you pulled the trigger...

thats for a fast fire. Try it at home with a powersupply and do some
timing of cook offs.

But then again, if you blew the fuse in the first place, you might
have a short in the wiring harness that will ground out again with the
rifle shell subbing for the last blown fuse...

-- Bruce --

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry