JK

Default RFI: Bandsaws and vise wear

I have a buddy who is cutting about 2000 ft ea of
1.5 angle iron. 1.5 round tubing and 1 inch sq tubing
on a Jet 7 x 12 H&V band saw each month. It is more
cost effective for him to have an employee to cut the stock
than have it cut by the supplier. The stock is cutting a groove
in each face of the vise and the bed of the saw. The cost of
replacing the vise jaws is small, the cost of replacing the bed of the
saw is not so small. We were kicking around the idea of an abrasion
resistant plate to attach to the vise jaws and the saw bed. Has
anyone done this or what material would be suitable to do this?

regards,
Jim

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:31:46 GMT, JK wrote:

I have a buddy who is cutting about 2000 ft ea of
1.5 angle iron. 1.5 round tubing and 1 inch sq tubing
on a Jet 7 x 12 H&V band saw each month. It is more
cost effective for him to have an employee to cut the stock
than have it cut by the supplier. The stock is cutting a groove
in each face of the vise and the bed of the saw. The cost of
replacing the vise jaws is small, the cost of replacing the bed of the
saw is not so small. We were kicking around the idea of an abrasion
resistant plate to attach to the vise jaws and the saw bed. Has
anyone done this or what material would be suitable to do this?

regards,
Jim

Why doesnt he adjust the down stop??????

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
JK

On 16 Sep 2005 21:08:58 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

For God's sake he ought to be able to figure out what it is costing him
for equipment and labor and compare that to whatever the quote is from
the supplier.

Ok, let me rephrase this. My fault.

1) It is much cheaper for Craig to cut his own stock than have it
cut by the supplier. This is not the problem.

2) He is running 6000 ft of various stock through a Jet 7x12 band
saw a month and the stock (not the blade) is wearing a groove
in the cast iron vise faces and the the bed of the saw (this is the
problem).

As a small project, we were thinking about facing each of the vise
jaws and the bandsaw bed with an abrasion resisitant plate. Neither
one of us has a clue what material to use or if there is a better way
to answer the problem. He has adjusted the deadman roller guide
infeed and outfeed conveyors as best he can to prevent bedwear but
still has the problem.

Many thanks.

Jim

JK wrote:
I have a buddy who is cutting about 2000 ft ea of
1.5 angle iron. 1.5 round tubing and 1 inch sq tubing
on a Jet 7 x 12 H&V band saw each month. It is more
cost effective for him to have an employee to cut the stock
than have it cut by the supplier. The stock is cutting a groove
in each face of the vise and the bed of the saw. The cost of
replacing the vise jaws is small, the cost of replacing the bed of the
saw is not so small. We were kicking around the idea of an abrasion
resistant plate to attach to the vise jaws and the saw bed. Has
anyone done this or what material would be suitable to do this?

regards,
Jim

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
On 16 Sep 2005 21:08:58 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

For God's sake he ought to be able to figure out what it is costing him
for equipment and labor and compare that to whatever the quote is from
the supplier.

Ok, let me rephrase this. My fault.

1) It is much cheaper for Craig to cut his own stock than have it
cut by the supplier. This is not the problem.

2) He is running 6000 ft of various stock through a Jet 7x12 band
saw a month and the stock (not the blade) is wearing a groove
in the cast iron vise faces and the the bed of the saw (this is the
problem).

As a small project, we were thinking about facing each of the vise
jaws and the bandsaw bed with an abrasion resisitant plate. Neither
one of us has a clue what material to use or if there is a better way
to answer the problem.

A couple pieces flame or plasma cut out of an old plow blade.

Sacrificial mild steel plates that you replace as required.

A few HSS lathe bits or large carbide inserts brazed or mechanically
fastened in strategic locations.

I've got some large round carbide inserts (1" OD x 1/4" thick?) with a
thru hole that I'm not very attached to if you're interested. It'd be
pretty easy to braze a threaded stud into the hole and screw them into
holes tapped in the vise.

OTH, I think your friend might do well to shop around some more for a
supplier who will precut the stock. It's hard for me to believe that his
man using a little manual saw like that can compete with a large
automated machine in the hands of a vendor who wants the job.

Ned Simmons
Koz

JK wrote:

I have a buddy who is cutting about 2000 ft ea of
1.5 angle iron. 1.5 round tubing and 1 inch sq tubing
on a Jet 7 x 12 H&V band saw each month. It is more
cost effective for him to have an employee to cut the stock
than have it cut by the supplier. The stock is cutting a groove
in each face of the vise and the bed of the saw. The cost of
replacing the vise jaws is small, the cost of replacing the bed of the
saw is not so small. We were kicking around the idea of an abrasion
resistant plate to attach to the vise jaws and the saw bed. Has
anyone done this or what material would be suitable to do this?

regards,
Jim

Try something like that available at http://www.aasteel.com/abrasion.html

Assuming the fixed jaw stays square to the blade due to the constant
wear pattern, you could cut away an area at each side under the moving
jaw to attach the wear plates to the bed while leaving the center (down
to the screw) intact.

Koz

Dave

Ok, so the material is being dragged through the saw since the saw is
on an assembly line. The material is being pulled through it and this
is causing the wear. I would think the best solution would be an input
roller that can be easily raised or lowered a inch or two by means of a
lever.

JK wrote:
[...] He is running 6000 ft of various stock through a Jet 7x12
band saw a month and the stock (not the blade) is wearing a
groove in the cast iron vise faces and the the bed of the saw
(this is the problem).

As a small project, we were thinking about facing each of the vise
jaws and the bandsaw bed with an abrasion resisitant plate. Neither
one of us has a clue what material to use or if there is a better way
to answer the problem. He has adjusted the deadman roller guide
infeed and outfeed conveyors as best he can to prevent bedwear but
still has the problem.

Many thanks.

Jim

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:46:49 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned
Simmons quickly quoth:

In article ,
says...

As a small project, we were thinking about facing each of the vise
jaws and the bandsaw bed with an abrasion resisitant plate. Neither
one of us has a clue what material to use or if there is a better way
to answer the problem.

Sacrificial mild steel plates that you replace as required.

That would probably be the quickest and cheapest solution.
30 minutes to make a dozen, 5 minutes to change out a pair of 'em.

OTH, I think your friend might do well to shop around some more for a
supplier who will precut the stock. It's hard for me to believe that his
man using a little manual saw like that can compete with a large
automated machine in the hands of a vendor who wants the job.

That could be the key. If the vendor doesn't want (or doesn't have the
time for) the task, he'll triple the price for cutting.

JK

Try something like that available at http://www.aasteel.com/abrasion.html

Assuming the fixed jaw stays square to the blade due to the constant
wear pattern, you could cut away an area at each side under the moving
jaw to attach the wear plates to the bed while leaving the center (down
to the screw) intact.

Koz

Ah......just what I was looking for. Didn't know what to call it.
Many thanks.

regards,
Jim