Larry Jaques

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:46:49 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned
Simmons quickly quoth:

In article ,
says...

As a small project, we were thinking about facing each of the vise
jaws and the bandsaw bed with an abrasion resisitant plate. Neither
one of us has a clue what material to use or if there is a better way
to answer the problem.

Sacrificial mild steel plates that you replace as required.

That would probably be the quickest and cheapest solution.
30 minutes to make a dozen, 5 minutes to change out a pair of 'em.

OTH, I think your friend might do well to shop around some more for a
supplier who will precut the stock. It's hard for me to believe that his
man using a little manual saw like that can compete with a large
automated machine in the hands of a vendor who wants the job.

That could be the key. If the vendor doesn't want (or doesn't have the
time for) the task, he'll triple the price for cutting.