R.H.

Default What is it? LXXIX

Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Mark and Kim Smith

R.H. wrote:

Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

454: Tone generator? Cheesy sound amplifier?
455: Staple puller?
456: Looks like an automotive windshield tool for removing trim
457: Interesting saw?
458: For weaving fish nets? Rope splicing?
459: Ancient dust pan.
Nick Müller

#454: Massage head for shower
#455: the famous wiggy-waggy-thingy
#456: A release for bow shooting
#457: artificial limb for sharky
#458: for repairing fishers nets.
#459: butter scratcher.

At least 4 of my answers are wrong.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

454 "Archer" = Radio shack. Possibly an early radio to be worn on the
wrist?
455 ?
456 Makes me think of an archery release, but no trigger. Slip the twine
around something small that you need to pull?
457 Ice saw, used for cutting ice from a lake or pond surface.
458 Something to use with a loom when weaving? Waitaminnit . . used for
making/repairing fishing nets?
459 Was going to say a cranberry rake for picking them, but the fingers
aren't long enough. Possibly an odd version of one, or similar design for
other type "picking".

--
Nahmie

Howard Garner

R.H. wrote:
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Not much luck this time.

457 Hay Saw
458 Bobbin for weaving loom
459 early dust pan?

I'll pass on the rest

JohnM

R.H. wrote:
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Hand held speaker. Use two for stereo.

Apple puncturer.

Handle for something.

Hay saw.

Patented safty knitting needle.

Cheese scoop.

John
Tim Shoppa

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

454: Battery-powered telephone sound booster (for the hard of hearing)
sold by Radio Shack circa 1970. The strap holds it to the speaker end
of the handset.

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

A little tougher this week, Rob.

454. Something from Radio Shack
455. Adjustable wood stove eye lifter
456. Garrote handle
457. Pawl
458. Weaver's gadget
459. Scoop off of a toy steam shovel

From RCM.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

jim rozen

In article , R.H. says...

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

455 Farriers tool

457 Ice saw

458 Loom shuttle

459 Pooper scooper - for horses

please reply to:
kk

R.H. wrote:
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Harvester for grass seed

bremen68

Looks like.....

454 Telephone Amplifier
457 Variant of a Scythe probably specialized for a specific type of
grass or area
458 Loom Shuttle
459 Feed Scoop

Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

454 - Telephone audio booster for folks with poor hearing. Turn it on
and slip it over the earpiece. Strap holds it. Should be a foam cup on
the bottom to block feedback.
455 -
456 - Half of a windshield cut out tool?
457 - Hay knife
458 - Weavers bobbin ?
459 - Harvesting scoop?

Ralph Henrichs

457 Hayknife for cutting hay in a stack or barn.

R.H. wrote:
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Barbara Bailey

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:29:35 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

454: telephone handset amplifier

457: Bale cutter for haybales

Barb

Leo Lichtman

I'll pass on the ones other people have got right.

457 works like a sickle, for cutting weeds.

459 could be a dust pan, but that does not explain the serrated edge.
Probably used for scooping or picking up something like grain, or chicken
pellets out of a pile.

448 The whole series looks like it came from the same box of old stuff. b
is an electrical plug for 220 volts. d looks like an adapter for plugging
into a light socket. They usually screw in--this one looks like it would
twist in.

449 is the edging used to secure wall-to-wall carpet.

Mike Dworetsky

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

459, antique pooper scooper.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Lance A Boyle

R.H. wrote:
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

454. Old Radio Shack telephone amplifier for the hearing impaired.

Lance

DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

454) "Archer" brand was Lafayette, IIRC.

What I think that it is is an amplifier for allowing the hard of
hearing to use a telephone. It is held to the receiver's
headset by the strap (Leather? Rubber?), and the volume is
adjusted by the red potentiometer visible to the right. That
particular style was available back in the late 1950s as as
starting period.

455) A couple of guesses he

A) A remover for the cast iron lids over burner holes in
wood stoves.

B) Something which would slip over a pivot and the spurs
would engage gear teeth to rotate something to adjust
it.

456) A handle to pull on something. It might pivot on the edge at
the top (suggested by the pivoting plate to which the string
is attached), or it might be for a straight pull.

I'm not sure that the string is original. It may be that the
pivoting plate was originally held to a movable part by a pair
of screws through those holes. If it *is* -- it looks somewhat
like parachute cord.

457) It looks like some kind of saw for cutting off flush with the
ground or some other surface, except that the angle of the teeth
is not quite right.

Could it be for cutting weeds or plants of some form? A closer
look at the "teeth" might show signs of sharpening as a blade.

458) A bobbin for weaving fishnets and similar things. The line is
wound around the enclosed spike and then back over the horns at
the rear end. This allows a respectable length of cord to be
carried on it.

I once knew how to do that weave, but have forgotten over the
years.

459) The barely visible slots between the teeth suggest to me that
this may be for cutting growing foliage of some form, and
collecting what is cut off.

Are the bottom and sides steel? It looks as though they are.

460) Oh! You don't have one of these yet. :-)

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Scott Lurndal

#454 Old wrist radio
#455 No idea
#456 Looks like an activation handle of some sort
#457 Ice saw
#458 Netmaking needle
#459 Guessing: Ice scoop or ice rake for bulk ice bin

DAC

457. Hay knife -- for cutting hay loose when it used to be piled rather
than baled. Now, livestock farmers use them when wanting to slice hay
off a contolled portions from a large round bale. It's way easier to
cut than trying to take a pitchfork and pull it loose.

459. A bluegrass or other small grass seed harvester. One would walk
through the knee deep grass, swinging it back and forth. In between
the large "teeth", there are small slots cut in the metal where the
stem of the grass is forced during the swinging action. As the bucket
continues to swing, the grass seed is stripped off the stem and
captured in the bowl.

Spud Demon

"Mike Dworetsky" writes in article dated Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:22:08 +0000 (UTC):
"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

459, antique pooper scooper.

Back then they were probably called "crap scrappers".

454 -- designed to strap on to an old-style phone. Others have said
amplifier for the earpiece, could also be a pickup or speaker designed to
connect to a tape recorder.

456 -- some kind of puller

451 -- antenna rotator control

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
R.H.

Five of the six have been correctly answered:

454. Telephone amplifier

455.

456. Archery release mechanism

457. Hay knife

458. Netting needle

459. Seed stripper

One more photo and a link can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan82tn.blogspot.com/

Number 455 is a tool that was used outdoors, mostly on a farm or ranch.

Rob

Billy Hiebert

What about #452?
#452. Used to test voltage of indivdual cells in 6V car batteries.
--
Billy Hiebert
HIEBERT SCULPTURE WORKS

R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been correctly answered:

454. Telephone amplifier

455.

456. Archery release mechanism

457. Hay knife

458. Netting needle

459. Seed stripper

One more photo and a link can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan82tn.blogspot.com/

Number 455 is a tool that was used outdoors, mostly on a farm or ranch.

Rob

Joe User

R.H. wrote:

Number 455 is a tool that was used outdoors, mostly on a farm or ranch.

some sort of wire stretcher/clamp/crimper?

The end of the thing reminds me of a clamp on one of our fence strechers...

-j

R.H.

t...
What about #452?
#452. Used to test voltage of indivdual cells in 6V car batteries.

Your answer is right, but 452 is part of last week's set, see the answer
link after the last photo for rest of the solutions.

Rob

R.H.

"Joe User" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

Number 455 is a tool that was used outdoors, mostly on a farm or ranch.

some sort of wire stretcher/clamp/crimper?

The end of the thing reminds me of a clamp on one of our fence

strechers...

This answer is correct. The tag on it was marked "star fence stretcher",
the wire is clamped by pivoting the handle and the star can be used for
leverage for tightening the fence. My first thought was that it's for
barbed wire, but I guess it could be used with other type fences as well.

Rob

DoN. Nichols

According to Billy Hiebert :
What about #452?
#452. Used to test voltage of indivdual cells in 6V car batteries.

To test them under load, at that. That's what the wavy
cross-piece is for -- the load resistance.

But ... that was from last week's set of questions, to which he
had already posted answers. Go to the bottom of the page and click for
the answers and you will see. I think that he needs a much more obvious
divider between the current ones and last week's batch.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
R.H.

According to Billy Hiebert :
What about #452?
#452. Used to test voltage of indivdual cells in 6V car batteries.

To test them under load, at that. That's what the wavy
cross-piece is for -- the load resistance.

But ... that was from last week's set of questions, to which he
had already posted answers. Go to the bottom of the page and click for
the answers and you will see. I think that he needs a much more obvious
divider between the current ones and last week's batch.

I'll put that note back up on my site, I removed it a few weeks ago when I
made some changes.

Rob

Leon Fisk

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:05:44 GMT, "R.H."
wrote:

"Joe User" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

Number 455 is a tool that was used outdoors, mostly on a farm or ranch.

some sort of wire stretcher/clamp/crimper?

The end of the thing reminds me of a clamp on one of our fence

strechers...

This answer is correct. The tag on it was marked "star fence stretcher",
the wire is clamped by pivoting the handle and the star can be used for
leverage for tightening the fence. My first thought was that it's for
barbed wire, but I guess it could be used with other type fences as well.

Hi Rob,

I thought it was probably used to grip a wire, but the
strange shaped head didn't make much sense. Any chance that
there is a patent number on it?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

R.H.

I thought it was probably used to grip a wire, but the
strange shaped head didn't make much sense. Any chance that
there is a patent number on it?

No patent number, just "D-7" on the handle and "D-8" on the top part. I've
looked in my books and on the web but couldn't find another one like it.

Rob