DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
Just added another post:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

454) "Archer" brand was Lafayette, IIRC.

What I think that it is is an amplifier for allowing the hard of
hearing to use a telephone. It is held to the receiver's
headset by the strap (Leather? Rubber?), and the volume is
adjusted by the red potentiometer visible to the right. That
particular style was available back in the late 1950s as as
starting period.

455) A couple of guesses he

A) A remover for the cast iron lids over burner holes in
wood stoves.

B) Something which would slip over a pivot and the spurs
would engage gear teeth to rotate something to adjust
it.

456) A handle to pull on something. It might pivot on the edge at
the top (suggested by the pivoting plate to which the string
is attached), or it might be for a straight pull.

I'm not sure that the string is original. It may be that the
pivoting plate was originally held to a movable part by a pair
of screws through those holes. If it *is* -- it looks somewhat
like parachute cord.

457) It looks like some kind of saw for cutting off flush with the
ground or some other surface, except that the angle of the teeth
is not quite right.

Could it be for cutting weeds or plants of some form? A closer
look at the "teeth" might show signs of sharpening as a blade.

458) A bobbin for weaving fishnets and similar things. The line is
wound around the enclosed spike and then back over the horns at
the rear end. This allows a respectable length of cord to be
carried on it.

I once knew how to do that weave, but have forgotten over the
years.

459) The barely visible slots between the teeth suggest to me that
this may be for cutting growing foliage of some form, and
collecting what is cut off.

Are the bottom and sides steel? It looks as though they are.

460) Oh! You don't have one of these yet. :-)

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564