Gunner Asch

Default OT-: Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...ers_bulge.html

Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing
By The Associated Press

posted: 06 September 2005
09:02 am ET

BEND, Ore. (AP) -- A recent survey of a bulge that covers about 100
square miles near the South Sister indicates the area is still growing,
suggesting it could be another volcano in the making or a major shift
of molten rock under the center of the Cascade Range.

Recent eruptions at nearby Mount St. Helens in Washington state have
rekindled interest in the annual Sisters survey and its findings.

Oregon has four of the 18 most active volcanoes in the nation -- Mount
Hood, Crater Lake, Newberry and South Sister. A recent U.S. Geological
Survey report said monitoring is inadequate at all of them, with only
basic monitoring at about half of the active volcanoes.

Unlike the volcanoes, the bulge gets an extensive annual survey to
track its growth. Spread out across an area nearly as big as the city
of Portland, It's centered about three miles southwest of the South
Sister, about 25 miles from Bend.

The results of the late August survey won't be ready for weeks, but
scientists have reached some conclusions about the bulge from past
monitoring.

They say it probably began growing in 1997 and has been rising ever
since at a rate of about 1.4 inches a year. It was first observed from
space using a relatively new imaging technology known as radar
interferometry that can measure changes in the Earth's surface.

The likely cause of the bulge is a pool of magma that, according to
Deschutes National Forest geologist Larry Chitwood, is equal in size to
a lake 1 mile across and 65 feet deep.

The magma lake is rising 10 feet each year, under tremendous pressure,
and it deforms the Earth's surface as it expands, causing the bulge.

Other causes could be anything from the birth of a new volcano -- a
fourth Sister in the making -- to a routine and anticlimactic pooling
of liquid rock, researchers say.

"The honest and shortest answer is, we don't know,'' said Dan Dzurisin,
a USGS geologist.

Dzurisin recently led a three-person leveling crew on a slow walk
across the top of the bulge. They were hoping to detect any change in
its surface using survey equipment accurate to one-sixteenth of an inch
for every mile measured.

Dzurisin's survey data, in concert with space imaging and satellite
positioning measurements from two dozen fixed points on the bulge, give
scientists an idea of the bulge's depth and size.

Additional information from seismographs and chemical monitoring of
area springs reveal movement of the magma underground. A swarm of 350
small earthquakes in March 2004 indicated magma was on the move, but
the bulge has been quiet ever since.

Whether the magma will move again or ever reach the surface is a
mystery. But if it did, geological history suggests it would result
only in small cinder cones that spew ash and lava.

The good news is that such an eruption likely would not seriously
affect any population centers, Chitwood said.

Such cones are the most common volcanic features on Earth, he added.
Central Oregon has about 600. Basalt flows have occurred in the area of
the bulge every 1,000 to 1,500 years for the past 4,000 years, he said.
And the area is due for another.

"The bulge is on time,'' Chitwood said. "The bus has arrived.''

end

This makes sense. The ring of fire around the Pacific Ocean, has gaps,
of activity, between Mt St. Helens, and Mexico City. I am expecting the
Long Valley Caldera to become active, within a few million years, but
also, the area of Mojave VAlley, CA, and the Colorado River area near
Las Vegas, and also Pheonix,AZ.

How do I get to this? If you locate the subduction zone along the
Washington - Oregon coast line, then measure the distance to the
volcanoes Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainer, M. St. Helens, etc. (See:
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...ade_range.html)

Now find the San Andreas Fault in California, then measure the same
distance, to the east and draw a line parallel to the SAF, and you get
the general location of possible volcanic activity in the future.

AS the Pacicfic tectonic plate subducts beneath the American plate, the
material of the Pacific plate is forced down and into the molten magma
inside the Earth. This material is lighter(lower specific gravity) than
the magma, and it coagulates and floats upward. Eventually you have
volcanic activity, at or near the surface.

Got volcano insurance?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Michael

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

This will be Bush's fault too.
Welfare state participants covered in ash, asking where are the rescue
people, why didn't I get a limo to save me? Got to be Bus's fault!
Michael

When I am able to see the bulge, I will begin to worry. Actually,
prevailing winds will take any ash away to the SE. Lava flow would have
a long time getting to either Bend or Redmond. I suppose the
environmentalists will have a fit because it will destroy more spotted
owl and bull trout habitat!

Paul in Redmond, OR

Cliff

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:44:35 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

A recent U.S. Geological
Survey report said monitoring is inadequate at all of them, with only
basic monitoring at about half of the active volcanoes.

Science is all faith-based now under the wingers,
right? And what actual "libertarian" would
pay for any of it anyway?
--
Cliff

Cliff

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:39:01 GMT, Michael
wrote:

This will be Bush's fault too.

Found those "WMDs" yet?
snicker
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:39:01 GMT, Michael
wrote:

This will be Bush's fault too.

Crossposting troll.
--
Cliff
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:07:23 -0700, Scott wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

But man, think of the advances in computing that would happen if lava
_did_ take out Redmond.

Redmond Oregon is far from Redmond Washington.

Sorry, my bad. I will modify my statement to specify the northern of
the two.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:07:47 -0400, Cliff wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:39:01 GMT, Michael
wrote:

This will be Bush's fault too.

Found those "WMDs" yet?

They'll turn up, Cliff.
Scott

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

They'll turn up, Cliff.

Please stop quoting his insanity.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:56:03 -0700, Scott wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

They'll turn up, Cliff.

Please stop quoting his insanity.

Ah, is that the same cliff people complain about, who usually massively
crossposts? I only see very few posts, probably because he almost never
doesn't crosspost. I can fix the filters if this is the same entity.
Let me know.
Cliff

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:56:03 -0700, "Scott"
wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

They'll turn up, Cliff.

Where & when?

Please stop quoting his insanity.

Found those "WMDs"?
--
Cliff
Scott

wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

They'll turn up, Cliff.

Please stop quoting his insanity.

Ah, is that the same cliff people complain about, who usually massively
crossposts? I only see very few posts, probably because he almost never
doesn't crosspost. I can fix the filters if this is the same entity.
Let me know.

It's him.

He's one of the very few that will never leave my killfile.

Him, Marks and Hawke all share the dungeon.

***************

Top 10 Crossposters
===================

Articles Address
-------- -------

921 Cliff
166 Gunner
122 "Sheldon Marks"
87 "Hawke"
79 "John Scheldroup"
70 myal
62 Guido
61 Daedalus
56
53 Gunner Asch

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:12:40 -0400, Cliff wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:56:03 -0700, "Scott"
wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

They'll turn up, Cliff.

Where & when?

We don't know. That's what "hidden" means.

Please stop quoting his insanity.

Found those "WMDs"?

plonk

Cliff

On 14 Sep 2005 21:18:03 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

plonk

Found those "WMDs"?

Touched a sore spot?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:14:06 -0700, "Scott"
wrote:

He's one of the very few that will never leave my killfile.

Is this about your guns again?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:36:57 -0700, "Scott"
wrote:

They own the seats they have because they bought the maintenance (BTW, their
5 axis processors are ****)

How would you know?

BTW, WHY are you crossposting?
--
Cliff
Scott

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

plonk

Thank you so *very* much.

Enough of that corncob.

So, anyone play with MasterCAM X yet?

I saw a copy at a buds shop yesterday, and I have to wonder why they
abandoned the GUI format that they have been running up our asses for
literally decades.

Learning curve looks to be profitable for the training types...

They own the seats they have because they bought the maintenance (BTW, their
5 axis processors are ****), but are going to stay with 9.1 for the time
being.

Cliff

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:16:33 GMT, Eregon wrote:

Cliff wrote in news:d65hi1dtf2pq6rkh9ul2jm14u98rdio70v@
4ax.com:

On 14 Sep 2005 21:18:03 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

plonk

Found those "WMDs"?

Touched a sore spot?

No "sore spot", "Good Buddy"!

The WMDs [Wussy, Mealy-mouthed Democraps] are all in Howard Dean's pocket.

BTW, How much are you having to pay for your AZT these days?

Found those "WMDs"?
Touched a sore spot yet again?

Typical ..... hurts you to try to think, right?
--
Cliff
Gunner

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:22:38 -0400, Bill Alliston
wrote:

Must be some kind of sensor that can spot a 28 mm movement. Of course my wife can get a
headache before I can raise half that distance. ..... It said OT!

The state of the art today in such mesurements is around .5 mm over 20
miles. They use lasers among other things. Some fascinating stuff. I
live within 5 miles of the San Andreas Fault, and about 40-60 miles as
the crow flies from Parkfield, California, the most active place in
the US. Ive taken the tours etc. Really interesting stuff.

Gunner

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Roger Shoaf

"Bill Alliston" wrote in message
Must be some kind of sensor that can spot a 28 mm movement. Of course my

wife can get a
headache before I can raise half that distance. ..... It said OT!

This reminds me of the guy that comes home, carefully opens and closes the
front door, removes his shoes, and heads to the bed room stopping off first
in the bath room and gets a couple of aspirin.

He then moves silently into his bedroom to find his sleeping wife. He then
gently pushes her moth and pops the aspirin into her mouth.

She wakes spitting and angrily asks what are you doing? He replied "Aspirin
dear, for your headache"

"But I don't have a headache." She said.

Good!" He replied.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Cliff

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:55:33 -0700, "Scott"
wrote:

"Guido" wrote in message

ka-plonk

Oh, goodie ... another of those braindead wingers
down ....
I like the way they advertise VBG.
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:32:38 GMT, Eregon wrote:

Cliff wrote in
:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:16:33 GMT, Eregon wrote:

Cliff wrote in
news:d65hi1dtf2pq6rkh9ul2jm14u98rdio70v@ 4ax.com:

On 14 Sep 2005 21:18:03 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

plonk

Found those "WMDs"?

Touched a sore spot?

No "sore spot", "Good Buddy"!

The WMDs [Wussy, Mealy-mouthed Democraps] are all in Howard Dean's
pocket.

BTW, How much are you having to pay for your AZT these days?

Found those "WMDs"?
Touched a sore spot yet again?

Typical ..... hurts you to try to think, right?

Wrong, Cliffie-poo!

I just told you, "Good Buddy", where the "WMDs" are and asked you a valid
question that you're too embarassed to answer.

I've even been able to determine that you've set up your "signature" so
as to spout your nonsensical question automatically rather than having to
actually read anything.

BTW, How much ARE you having to pay for your AZT these days? (I, of
course, haven't your need for it since I don't share your lifestyle.)

Found those "WMDs" yet?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:22:44 -0400, JohnM wrote:

Maybe you can find them here?
r@6 52?4:?8 3@: 8:KKFD 2?@E96C 896J =26]

Sorry, Beater Boy, I never looked for any.

It must really suck to be you.

w6 5@D =@G6 E@ 8:336C 25=J kvvm]

HTH
--
Cliff

Guido

Cliff wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:22:44 -0400, JohnM wrote:

Maybe you can find them here?
r@6 52?4:?8 3@: 8:KKFD 2?@E96C 896J =26]

Sorry, Beater Boy, I never looked for any.

It must really suck to be you.

w6 5@D =@G6 E@ 8:336C 25=J kvvm]

Gibbering is natural for them
http://tinyurl.com/4z5v