Rex B

Default Evaporust

Last week I got a sample gallon of a product called Evaporust. I used it
on a 60 year old 109 mini lathe which showed up about the same time,
lightly rusted on every steel piece. I have to say the Evaporust worked
extremely well, better than the best results I have gotten with
electrolytic. It's non-toxic, reusable, and doesn't hurt metals,
paints, or plastic. It leaves a coating that prevents rust until you can
wash it down and paint or oil it. The only drawback is it retails for
around $18/gallon, and it's a little hard to find.
--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:30:48 -0500, Rex B wrote:

Last week I got a sample gallon of a product called Evaporust. I used it
on a 60 year old 109 mini lathe which showed up about the same time,
lightly rusted on every steel piece. I have to say the Evaporust worked
extremely well, better than the best results I have gotten with
electrolytic. It's non-toxic, reusable, and doesn't hurt metals,
paints, or plastic. It leaves a coating that prevents rust until you can
wash it down and paint or oil it. The only drawback is it retails for
around $18/gallon, and it's a little hard to find.

If you are getting it for $18 per gallon, you are doing well. Up here
it is $39 Canadian for a Yankee Gallon.
It does NOT leave a rust preventative coating.
Rex B

I got that price at two industrial supply houses in North Texas, listed
on the website. The third was closing it out because he couldn't buy
enough to make freight, offered it for $15/gallon. Distributor cost is
about $10-$11

According to the website it is " An excellent rust inhibitor"
Their printed material says it is a "In fact, immersing un-rusted
objects in EVAPO-RUST provides excellent long-term rust protection.
I have no way to verify that, but the parts do have a slimey feel
that washes off with soapy water.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:31:37 -0500, Rex B wrote:

I got that price at two industrial supply houses in North Texas, listed
on the website. The third was closing it out because he couldn't buy
enough to make freight, offered it for $15/gallon. Distributor cost is
about $10-$11

According to the website it is " An excellent rust inhibitor"
Their printed material says it is a "In fact, immersing un-rusted
objects in EVAPO-RUST provides excellent long-term rust protection.
I have no way to verify that, but the parts do have a slimey feel
that washes off with soapy water.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

They are protected while immersed - but when the evaporust is rinced
off, the rust starts.