R.H.

Default What is it? LXXVIII

This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Norman Billingham

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

#448 b,c and d look like adapters to allow a US electrical plug on 448a to
connect to foreign supplies. 448b is the old UK 5amp standard, 448c is the
European standard and 448d is a UK light bulb bayonet fitting.

#449 is carpet gripper on a door threshold strip

#450 looks like a planishing hammer

#451 is the rotator control for a beam aerial rotator of the type used by
radio amateurs

#452 is a high discharge rate tester for the cells on car batteries -
measures the voltage generated by a cell when its under the sort of load
typical of starting currents

Patrick Hamlyn

"R.H." wrote:

This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

448 appears to be a 'vapouriser'. You plug it in either directly or using one of
the three alternate power-socket/lightbulb-socket adapters and it vapourises the
perfume/mothballs/whatever you have in there.

449 is a carpet edging strip.

450 is a hammer. If someone comes at you with an ordinary hammer, you pull out
this pointy one. "that's not a hammer..."

451 looks like an antique electronic compass.

452 just guessing... an antique line voltage detector?

452 no idea... guess snuff-related.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

448a: Goes into 448b. To chase moskitos/insects
448b: wall plug, european style
448d: now i'm lost
449: profile for drywall
450: just another hammer for body works
451: compass. Or was it Microsoft's first attempt to reinvent a PC
mouse?
452: Battery tester
453: old writing set. In the cube to the right goes the ink, in the long
the pen

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Howard Garner

R.H. wrote:
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

448 a series of electical adapters of over seas
449 carpet edging/threshold
450 a sheet metal hammer of some sort
451 no idea
452 Battery cell tester?

Howard R Garner on RCM

JohnM

R.H. wrote:
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Immersion heater for bathtub.

Adapter for one type of electrical plug to another.

Light socket.

Thing that goes at the edge of a carpet.

Hammer for bodywork.

Antenna rotor control.

Battery load tester, looks like for old batteries than had exposed
connections between cells.

Short dagger with snuffbox.

John
Relz

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

448a is clearly an electric marshmallow roaster. C'mon people! I can see
the marshmallow!

Relz (likes his marshmallows crispy)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

448a) Closet dehumidifier (actually, heater) ?
b & c) AC plug adapter for Euro-outlets?
d) Bayonet-to- screw base bulb (or two-prong outlet) adaptor
449 Carpet edge strip.
450 shoemakers tack hammer?
451 Antenna rotator control
452 Capacitor discharging prod.
453 ?????

447 looks like the tongs used to move hay in the mow.
Back when hay was put up loose in barns before balers.

Michael Houghton

448a: some sort of nightlight?
448b: patch plug
448c: another patch plug
448d: fuse
449: carpet tack strip
450: hammer with anti-backswing device
451: antenna rotator control
452: old tester to check for current (the zig-zag bit will
glow like a toaster if there is juice...
453: knocker? probably not...

yours,
Michael
| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/

Abrasha

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

453 ?????

453. This is a yatate.

A yatate (pronounced yah-tah-teh) is a Japanese portable writing set.
The yatate has been around since the Kamakura period (1185-1333). It
contains a traditional Japanese bamboo brush and an inkwell filled with
cotton that has been soaked in liquid sumi ink.
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Barbara Bailey

"R.H." wrote:

This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

453: Asiatic (probably Tibetan) pen case and ink bottle

Barb

DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. I lost my newsfeed last week, and then the ISP totally
stopped handling news, so I was not able to post about the last week's
collection. I'm now on newsguy, at least until I can get a new feed.

Anyway -- again posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

448a) Perhaps a resistive voltage drop for using something like
a travel iron on another country's voltages. It looks as though
it has a ceramic resistive element inside, and the perforated
metal cover is to keep the user from getting burned from the
dissipated heat.

448b-d) Adaptors from various countries' outlets to US ones. I *think*
that (b) and (c) are UK styles from many years ago -- perhaps
the 1950s.

(d) is an unusual design, and I have no idea which country that
one was for.

All seem to have Bakelite moldings -- except for (a), which is
mostly metal and ceramic -- though the end plates may be
phenolic.

449) It looks like some sort of sliding track for adjustable height
shelving. Perhaps from a refrigerator, perhaps from a
bookshelf.

450) The flat head looks similar to the sheet metal hammer from
last week, but I'm not sure about the pointed end, which would
seem counterproductive for most sheet metal work.

I don't think that it is a geologist's hammer, though.

451) And old fashioned TV antenna rotator control box. The rocker
switch allows turning the antenna clockwise or
counter-clockwise, and the meter shows a voltage coming back
from the head to indicate the current compass direction
(presuming that it was properly installed initially. :-)

452) Old fashioned automobile battery cell tester. The prongs
probe through the tar which normally covered the cell terminals,
the zig-zag piece of metal was the load resistance, and the
cylindrical object was the meter to read the condition of the
cell.

453) Now *this* one is an interesting one. I *think* that it is an
old-fashioned ink pen, with the pen and nib drawn out of the
scabbard, and the ink under the scallop shell lid.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Clif Holland

#449 Carpet hold down strip. Don't know what it's really called...

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :
[...]

Hey Rob,
I just realized I saw number 447 last weekend when I worked that
oldtime sawmill. Have you found out what it is yet? When I saw it, it
was attached to a complicated one-man bucksaw rig. I think I'll be able
to take a picture of the whole apparatus when I help with cleanup next
weekend. Want me to?

R.H.

This answer sounds right - it does look like a log holder. Yes, please take
some pictures, it would be great if you could nail this one down for us.

Thanks,
Rob

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Rob,
I just realized I saw number 447 last weekend when I worked that
oldtime sawmill. Have you found out what it is yet? When I saw it, it
was attached to a complicated one-man bucksaw rig. I think I'll be able
to take a picture of the whole apparatus when I help with cleanup next
weekend. Want me to?

MrFritz

I guess you never got my e-mail post.
I think 447 is used to hold small logs while splitting them to make
firewood for a wood burning or pot belly type stove.

Fred

"R.H." wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Rob,
I just realized I saw number 447 last weekend when I worked that
oldtime sawmill. Have you found out what it is yet? When I saw it, it
was attached to a complicated one-man bucksaw rig. I think I'll be
able to take a picture of the whole apparatus when I help with
cleanup next weekend. Want me to?

Bruce

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:04:00 -0600, R.H. wrote
(in article ):

This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

448a: some type of vaporizer or night light
448b,c: older style patch plug for 5-way posts?
448d: fuse?
449: carpet tack strip for an exposed edge (door, or tile)
450: type of auto body hammer
451: electric compass calibrator?
452: battery tester (for large capacity cells)
-Bruce

Tim Mullen

In .com " writes:

I just realized I saw number 447 last weekend when I worked that
oldtime sawmill.

You weren't in Williams Grove, Pennsylvania, were you?
Last Saturday my dad & I went to a steam-up there and saw them
running their sawmill powered by an old steam tractor. Waaay
cool. Must've had a dozen or twenty steam engines prowling
the grounds.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
R.H.

"MrFritz" wrote in message
I guess you never got my e-mail post.
I think 447 is used to hold small logs while splitting them to make
firewood for a wood burning or pot belly type stove.

I got your email but I think that I just lumped your answer into the group
of others that suggested log lifter or hook for small logs. In the event
that this turns out to be correct it looks like you getting bragging rights
on this one.

Rob

Dogstar

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

448a Franklin Stove
448b Quarrel
448c Auger bit
448d Propeller
449 Lewis
450 Dulcimer
451 Luff Tackle
452 Hourglass
453 Breeches Buoy

-- Dogstar

AL

Wow, you got me this time. Usually I can identify at least one item, but
this time I have no idea about any of them.

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

They've all been answered correctly this week:

448. World traveler's electrical adapter kit. Please see the answer page
for more details.

449. Metal threshold strip for carpet

450. Pick hammer for auto bodywork

451. Antenna direction controller

452. Battery tester

453. Yatate pen holder with ink well

More photos and a link:

http://pzphotosan81l.blogspot.com/

I'm going to have to dig deeper in my boxes and find another stumper for the
next set.

Rob

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

From RCM

449. Closeup of a carpet edge binder strip
450. Body hammer, pick hammer

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Dan

On Thu 08 Sep 2005 06:27:10p, Tim Mullen wrote in
:

You weren't in Williams Grove, Pennsylvania, were you?
Last Saturday my dad & I went to a steam-up there and saw them
running their sawmill powered by an old steam tractor. Waaay
cool. Must've had a dozen or twenty steam engines prowling
the grounds.

Wisconsin. Those folks call it a Thresheree. Probably because that's what
they called it when they had the first one, exactly fifty years ago. The
guy working alongside me said he was 54, and he'd been to every one of
'em.
:-)

Steam engines and antique gas tractors all over the place. Hunerds of
'em. Little bitty homemade jobs with old VW frames and pretty much
fullsized railroad locomotives with steel tires. And they did run the
mill with those things, hooked up to the belt drive. The exhibitors took
turns, giving us a different engine every three or four hours. There was
a big three-story, steam driven pile driver. Blacksmith shop. Oldtime
wood shop. Little narrow-track steam train that circled the grounds and
big steam engine tractors with wagons for the park shuttles. Huge flea
market. A big belt-driven horsepower tester so tractors could compete for
most horses produced. Nice place.

Rob, I've just found out they're not going to do cleanup this weekend.
They're holding a Steam School the weekend of the 23rd and are going to
operate the mill to give the students something with real loading that
needs governor control to work with. They'll leave the mill as is till
after that. That weekend will be the earliest I can get a photo, because
the park is locked up and I can't get in. I'm sorry.

(If you're wondering, I'm else24 when I'm not on my own computer)

R.H.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. I lost my newsfeed last week, and then the ISP totally
stopped handling news, so I was not able to post about the last week's
collection. I'm now on newsguy, at least until I can get a new feed.

I was wondering what happened to you, good to have you back. Another option
for posting here is to go through Google groups, I've had to use it a few
times when my news server was down.

Rob

DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :
This week's photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. I lost my newsfeed last week, and then the ISP totally
stopped handling news, so I was not able to post about the last week's
collection. I'm now on newsguy, at least until I can get a new feed.

I was wondering what happened to you, good to have you back. Another option
for posting here is to go through Google groups, I've had to use it a few
times when my news server was down.

I looked at Rec.crafts.metalworking through Google groups and
decided that I could just not live with the user interface. I've been
spoiled by using real unix newsreaders for years. And -- I rather
depend on having automatic correction of my most common typos in my
editor, and a spelling checker which has been taught quite a few extra
words. With a web-based access, I'm limited to the attempt at an editor
implemented in HTML and CGI scripts -- and no bets about the spelling
checker. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564