Searcher1

Default OT on the so-called OT problem

I thought that this board was a place that you know you could turn to for
help with questions concerning metal work? Well, it is, and it seems that
this is some what like a meeting place for friends, and when friends get
together they don't only talk about one thing. The atmosphere here is one of
a friendly "bar" where you can chat about anything thats on your mind,
Mainly, of course the OT's are on current events which effects everyone
including the metalworking crowd and we like to talk about that! But on the
other hand we KNOW that we can get whatever information we need on the
subject of metalwork.So, do you walk into a bar and get ticked off because
the bartender asks you about the hurricane, or politics?
This heres a friendly place and lets keep it that way, If you are tired of
the OT's then by all means filter them out, some of us like to express our
opinons as did you!

I like this place I find out what I need to know about welding and such
(lots of good info here, BTW) Plus I get the added benefit of chatting with
others about lifes little anecdotes.

THanks for reading
Searcher

Nick Müller

Searcher1 wrote:

The atmosphere here is one of a friendly "bar" where you can chat about
anything thats on your mind,

Unfortunatly it is already some kind of a bar. Because of all the OT.
If I want to talk about metalworking, a bar is a bad place. So if the OT
is ever growing, it will be even more like a bar, and the ones willing
to talk about metalworking go where?

This is a newsgroup. It has a name. To this name belongs a charta. Read
it and understand it.
If you want some bar blabla, do it in comp.lang.smalltalk :-)

Don't you OT'lers understand, that you are chasing the knowing people?
Do you think that it is for your advantage?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Searcher1

I don't think we are chasing anyone that is friendly and willing to chat
about anything.

Searcher

Randy Replogle

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:23:36 GMT, "Searcher1"
wrote:

[...]

I also dislike most of the OT discussions but if they are going to
show up anyway then marking them "OT" is a good compromise. There are
several on topic threads that don't get my interest too. IGNORE,
IGNORE, IGNORE the OTs and trolls and they'll diminish or stop.
Randy
Randy Replogle

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:12:07 GMT, "Searcher1"
wrote:

I don't think we are chasing anyone that is friendly and willing to chat
about anything.

Searcher

Another newsgroup that I read is nearly dead now because of one troll
and those who kept responding and argueing with him. Many knowledgable
people just left for moderated forums.
Rrandy

Ace

Don't kid yourseld. ie you BS your friends, & I'll BS my freinds, but let's
not BS each other.

"Searcher1" wrote in message
I don't think we are chasing anyone that is friendly and willing to chat
about anything.

Searcher

Nick Müller

Searcher1 wrote:

I don't think we are chasing anyone that is friendly and willing to chat
about anything.

I think you misunderstood the concept of newsgroups.
There are a lot of people having different interests. They want to share
their knowledge with others. They give and take. Fine.
But, and that is the point, they _only_ want to talk about the subject
they have chosen by their own will (not your's, not cliff's, not
gunner's) about what they want to talk. They want to talk about
metalworking. That's why they have chosen this group.
I really don't care about your political attitude, religion, color, sex,
color of pants. And maybe, if I would, I would stop responding to you.
But I have decided (and all other having understood the concept of news
groups), that _only_ the topic of the group is the common interest.

This is simply not a group to chat about anything. It is a group to chat
about _our_ common interrest: metalworking. If OT-posters **** the
knowledgable people enough, they will leave. The result will be a NG
with the title "metalworking" and the contents "EveryThingElse".
Do you really want that?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Bob AZ

Lets us take anothers' suggestion and compromise. Most OT messages are
indicated and lets be like the plam trees on the Texas coach. The
reason they are there is they sway with the wind.
A little more swaying will be good for what ails us.
I sway everyday.
Bob AZ

Joseph Gwinn

wrote:

I don't think we are chasing anyone that is friendly and willing to chat
about anything.

Searcher

Another newsgroup that I read is nearly dead now because of one troll
and those who kept responding and argueing with him. Many knowledgable
people just left for moderated forums.

I've seen this too, but it was more that the OT folk kept barging into
on-topic threads with OT responses, which hasn't yet been happening too
much here. They have been good about marking things OT.

I think the standard newsgroup policy should be applied: "Don't feed
the trolls!" They crave only attention, and will get more and more
outrageous as they are ignored, trying to get a rise out of somebody,
anybody, but will eventually tire and drift away.

Joe Gwinn
Ron Bean

"Searcher1" writes:

So, do you walk into a bar and get ticked off because
the bartender asks you about the hurricane, or politics?

I might get ticked off if the bartender insists on steering *every*
conversation in that direction. Some organizations discourage religion
and politics as discussion topics for this reason.

As I said in that other thread, I don't mind the OT stuff if it's
well-marked, but watch out for topic drift.

It actually might not be a bad idea to create r.c.m.politics. I can
remember a time when politics didn't dominate this newsgroup the way it
does now (although there was plenty of other OT stuff).

I can also remember when the political threads generated a lot more
complaints than they do now. I think most of the complainers have given
up and left (including some folks who knew a lot about metalworking).

Jon Danniken

"Nick Müller" wrote:

This is simply not a group to chat about anything. It is a group to chat
about _our_ common interrest: metalworking. If OT-posters **** the
knowledgable people enough, they will leave. The result will be a NG
with the title "metalworking" and the contents "EveryThingElse".
Do you really want that?

That's exactly what kills a usenet group. It seems innocuous enough at
first, but day by day people who come for the named reason of the group get
tired of deleting more threads than there are to read, and find somewhere
else to go. It's a shame it's happening here.

Jon

jim rozen

In article , Randy Replogle says...

Another newsgroup that I read is nearly dead now because of one troll
and those who kept responding and argueing with him. Many knowledgable
people just left for moderated forums.

See for example:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Nice place, moderated, no trolls, and a dedicated location
for OT loony posts. That location is actually pretty empty too.

Jim

please reply to: