Don Stauffer

Default Geez the OT is getting bad again.

I just dropped another newsgroup that I had subscribed to for over ten
years 'cause the OT was starting to overwhelm the on topic stuff.

About a year ago I took a sabbatical from this group for about six
months 'cause of the amount of OT. It looks like it is time for
another. There is an old saying in economics that bad money drives out
the good. I wonder if the preponderance of bad messages is driving out
the good.
Ron Bean

Don Stauffer writes:

About a year ago I took a sabbatical from this group for about six
months 'cause of the amount of OT. It looks like it is time for
another.

I find it easy enough to avoid, as long as it stays in it's own threads.
If the topic drifts off, ==PLEASE ADD "OT" TO THE SUBJECT LINE== so
those of us who are actually interested in metal can find the newsgroup.

I don't know what you're using for a newsreader, but you shouldn't have
to download the messages you're not reading.

Nick Müller

Gunner Asch wrote:

As you may have noticed..there are unusual things afoot across the
nation, that will have long long term and far reaching ramifications.

Before _trying_ to understand these, you should try hard to understand
the concept of news groups. They aren't the gulasch you have in your
head, they are ordered by topic.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Jim Newell

Don,

If you are referring to all of the political stuff, my only advice is to
ignore it.

If you are referring to the "assortment" of questions that get asked here
(i.e. cars, window panes, meat grinders, etc.); you have to realize that
most of the world is made up of morons who don't know how to do much more
than shop. So..when a group with such a diverse range of knowledge as this
group has crops up, people are drawn to it for help and solutions.

I have full confidence that no matter how odd the question, how obscure the
part, piece, or reference, how "silly" it would be to think that anyone
would know the answer, someone could come to this group and find out what
they need to know.

This group gets off topic posts because the "life experience" of its members
is so great. The political stuff is irritating, but then I have learned to
tune it out much like I have been forced to tune it out in "real life".

Jim