LP

Default Hardening A Wrench

I have an offset wrench for my router such as the ones at the bottom
of this page:

http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html

Actually I have two of these. The first one, even tho clearly marked
as 24mm measured closer to 27, and the 2nd, also marked as 24mm
measures 25.

The first one I didn't use at all, and the 2nd I used only long enough
to find out it's too big. Even with this minimal use tho, the jaws
are clearly deformed which makes me think it's made from pretty soft
steel.

My thought is to MIG a weld bead along the jaws and then regrind to
the correct size.

My question is, would this bead be hard enough to function in this
application, or do I need to further harden the whole thing?

If hardening is necessary I'd appreciate a quick how-to, since my
memories of this procedure are quite vague.

Probably just pond them into shape and work harden them at the same
time.

wws

LP wrote:

[...]

I would get a real wrench that fits and bend it.
Leo Lichtman

"LP" wrote: (clip) My question is, would this bead be hard enough to
function in this application, or do I need to further harden the whole
thing? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Couple of thoughts: 1.) A wrench that is oversize is stressed much more
than one that fits. Chances are if you weld, grind and pound to make it a
close fit to the hex on the router, it will work pretty well. 2. A router
collet nut doesn't have to be *super tight* to hold, so if you just snug it
up, and then a little more, it will hold fine, and not hurt the wrench. 3.)
Since you are capable of modifying the wrench, why not just use it, and do a
"touch-up" in case it ever needs it?

First I would check to see if I could find a couple of crows foots of
the right size and then bend some bar and weld it in place for the
handle. Maybe just buy some socket extensions from Harbor Freight.

Or if inexpensive crows foots are not available, hacksaw and file a
correctly sized bit and silver solder it to your wrench. ( or mig weld
it, but silver solder would be neater ). I think it would be easier to
do this then do the mig welding and then have to do the filing or
grinding. If you used 1/4 inch thick steel, it would not be likely to
deform in use. If you really want hard, use material from a leaf
spring.

Dan

Ted Edwards

LP wrote:
I have an offset wrench for my router such as the ones at the bottom
of this page:

http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html

My thought is to MIG a weld bead along the jaws and then regrind to
the correct size.

Buy a metric wrench of the right size, cut handle off near open end
wrench part, bend handle to make the second bend. Heat and hammer to
get a nice sharp bend then weld onto wrench portion. Any softening of
the handle from bending heat shouldn't matter and MIG is fast enough
that you should be able to make the weld with out softening the wrench.

Ted

LP wrote:
[...]

I would tig-weld one side of the wrench opening, file to fit and case
harden the wrench. I'd heat and apply the casehardening compound
several times to get good penetration then quench in water and draw to
a blue color.
Engineman

Martin H. Eastburn

For me, I'd simply CNC plasma cut one out, bend it, then harden as needed.
I just made a dandy 2" for my uncle. I have to turn the wood for the two wood
'grips' - the metal is 3/8" and the tool is maybe 18" - that sucker has heft!
I cut two small circles (1/4's really) at the back of the square cutout.
These are round so there is lots of place for dirt!

If you need help, let me know. Piece of pie. I'll leave bending and finish up
to the end user for their needs.

Martin [ Now Lufkin cutting Edge Design, LLC ]
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life