Grant Erwin

Default welding positioner -- copper bonding, welded threads .. pix

OK, I've been pestering everyone with technique questions recently, first with
how to bond copper tubing then with how to weld a threaded nut so the threads
match another part. I thought I'd post some pictures of what I'm making. I'm
working on passing the 7018 overhead welding test to get a Washington SMAW
welding certificate, and to this end I'm making a welding positioner. Like most
of my projects, it is made almost 100% from scrap materials, in this case pipe
and some bits and pieces, plus an old sheet metal clamp-on base I dug out of a
dumpster. The idea is to make a clamp which has no exposed threads to collect
welding spatter. So I relieved the threads and glued copper tube pieces onto my
clamping piece. The bit it threads into is where I had to weld on the coupler
nut and not have the threads bind. It isn't finished yet, there are a few more
pieces to make, but have a look:

T-handle: http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/T-handle.jpg
welding positioner: http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/In%20Progress.jpg

GWE
Martin H. Eastburn

Nice work - looks like a table getting better tool sets.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

Robin S.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
The idea is to make a clamp which has no exposed threads to collect
welding spatter.

Neat project.

At school we took a course on robotic welding. One of our projects was to
make a fixture to hold parts together while the robot welded them together.
I found it kind of interesting to figure out how to cover all the important
parts to prevent splatter.

Yours is a neat idea, definately something to keep in mind. Our sister
company does the welding lines for panels so this isn't directly applicable
to me, but I think there are many applications where it's advantagous to
keep things covered up.

BTW, those welds look good. Kind of refreshing to see some *nice* welds...

Regards,

Robin

Grant Erwin

BTW, those welds look good. Kind of refreshing to see some *nice* welds...

I can't lie, our own Ernie Leimkuhler TIG welded the T-handle for me, but I did
the rest ..

GWE

Nice.

If you need to make any more T-Handles, you might try silver brazing.
I have made a few using brazing and they would meet your aestetics.

Dan

woodworker88

I love TIG...never need to worry about this spatter business. I can't
do it myself, go to a guy nearby, but the projects frequently have
close clearances and moving parts, so having to grind the mess off the
pieces would really suck.

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan) Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 330 July 21st 04 11:59 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM
Purity of copper when you melt it Zipper Metalworking 5 October 8th 03 06:12 PM