DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   welding positioner -- copper bonding, welded threads .. pix (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/118584-welding-positioner-copper-bonding-welded-threads-pix.html)

Grant Erwin August 27th 05 01:13 AM

welding positioner -- copper bonding, welded threads .. pix

OK, I've been pestering everyone with technique questions recently, first with
how to bond copper tubing then with how to weld a threaded nut so the threads
match another part. I thought I'd post some pictures of what I'm making. I'm
working on passing the 7018 overhead welding test to get a Washington SMAW
welding certificate, and to this end I'm making a welding positioner. Like most
of my projects, it is made almost 100% from scrap materials, in this case pipe
and some bits and pieces, plus an old sheet metal clamp-on base I dug out of a
dumpster. The idea is to make a clamp which has no exposed threads to collect
welding spatter. So I relieved the threads and glued copper tube pieces onto my
clamping piece. The bit it threads into is where I had to weld on the coupler
nut and not have the threads bind. It isn't finished yet, there are a few more
pieces to make, but have a look:

T-handle: http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/T-handle.jpg
welding positioner: http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/In%20Progress.jpg

GWE

Martin H. Eastburn August 27th 05 04:04 AM

Nice work - looks like a table getting better tool sets.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Robin S. August 27th 05 05:16 AM

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
The idea is to make a clamp which has no exposed threads to collect
welding spatter.

Neat project.

At school we took a course on robotic welding. One of our projects was to
make a fixture to hold parts together while the robot welded them together.
I found it kind of interesting to figure out how to cover all the important
parts to prevent splatter.

Yours is a neat idea, definately something to keep in mind. Our sister
company does the welding lines for panels so this isn't directly applicable
to me, but I think there are many applications where it's advantagous to
keep things covered up.

BTW, those welds look good. Kind of refreshing to see some *nice* welds...

Regards,

Robin

Grant Erwin August 27th 05 07:05 AM

BTW, those welds look good. Kind of refreshing to see some *nice* welds...

I can't lie, our own Ernie Leimkuhler TIG welded the T-handle for me, but I did
the rest ..

GWE

[email protected] August 27th 05 06:21 PM

Nice.

If you need to make any more T-Handles, you might try silver brazing.
I have made a few using brazing and they would meet your aestetics.

Dan

woodworker88 August 27th 05 06:43 PM

I love TIG...never need to worry about this spatter business. I can't
do it myself, go to a guy nearby, but the projects frequently have
close clearances and moving parts, so having to grind the mess off the
pieces would really suck.