V8TR4

Default Should I buy a used measuring caliper?

Depending your use you have several options.

If you are careful and do not drop things you might go ahead and order one
from Harbor Freight on sale for 7.95.
If you drop it you will probably break it. Otherwise will give you good
results

here is a digital one

here is a analog one
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5647.

In 1992 I bought a 12" from enco for 49 and it lasted me 12 years. Even a
new Mituyo is reasonaly priced these days. You can find some great deals at
thrift shops as well if you look around.

op

"bchargnon" wrote in message
I'd like to acquire a dial caliper that I can use to measure the side of
objects and holes (maybe 6 inches in diameter at the most). I'm not

looking
for anything with sub micron precision. I'm also not looking for anything
digital since I won't be using it more than a couple of times per month,

and
don't want to worry about leaking, or dead batteries.

1. What brands produce a quality product that will last?

2. What should I pay for one new?

3. Would it make sense to buy a used one? What should I pay for one? Is
Ebay a good place to find one, or do I need to examine it in person?

4. What do I need to look for to make sure that I'm not getting a worn or
broken device?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Starrett and Mituyo dial calipers are both good at about $150 last I priced
them. A fine instrument is a joy to own, but if that's too steep for you,
look for a used one. If it's straight and shows no obvious signs of abuse,
if its jaws are not worn, if the instrument seems tight, and if the needle
turns evenly and positively, it is probably just fine. Take along something
of known thickness to test it (note that I say something rather than
someone).

In the alternative, the one described from HF is probably fine if you are
careful with it, don't expect accuracy beyond its price range and know that
you are probably buying an instrument for a certain lifespan.

"bchargnon" wrote in message
I'd like to acquire a dial caliper that I can use to measure the side of
objects and holes (maybe 6 inches in diameter at the most). I'm not

looking
for anything with sub micron precision. I'm also not looking for anything
digital since I won't be using it more than a couple of times per month,

and
don't want to worry about leaking, or dead batteries.

1. What brands produce a quality product that will last?

2. What should I pay for one new?

3. Would it make sense to buy a used one? What should I pay for one? Is
Ebay a good place to find one, or do I need to examine it in person?

4. What do I need to look for to make sure that I'm not getting a worn or
broken device?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard Nienhuis

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message ...
Might you consider a vernier caliper...rugged, accurate, cheap and reading
one is easy and becoming a lost art.

Not really. Every lab science course I have taken in the last 2 years
has required students to read vernier scale instruments.
Brian

"Richard Nienhuis" wrote in message
om...
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

Might you consider a vernier caliper...rugged, accurate, cheap and

reading
one is easy and becoming a lost art.

Not really. Every lab science course I have taken in the last 2 years
has required students to read vernier scale instruments.

It's a lost art for me - I can't see the damn scales anymore!

Brian

Brian

I buy used calipers and micrometers all the time, and I've never gotten a
dud that couldn't be used. In this case I'd pull out my 8" Mitutoyo dial
caliper, flea market on the side of a highway, still in plastic box and
virtually unused, $15. Basically, as long as the gears are smooth and it
zero's consistently, it's probably OK.

Brian