V8TR4

Default Should I buy a used measuring caliper?

Depending your use you have several options.

If you are careful and do not drop things you might go ahead and order one
from Harbor Freight on sale for 7.95.
If you drop it you will probably break it. Otherwise will give you good
results

here is a digital one

here is a analog one
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5647.

In 1992 I bought a 12" from enco for 49 and it lasted me 12 years. Even a
new Mituyo is reasonaly priced these days. You can find some great deals at
thrift shops as well if you look around.

op

"bchargnon" wrote in message
I'd like to acquire a dial caliper that I can use to measure the side of
objects and holes (maybe 6 inches in diameter at the most). I'm not

looking
for anything with sub micron precision. I'm also not looking for anything
digital since I won't be using it more than a couple of times per month,

and
don't want to worry about leaking, or dead batteries.

1. What brands produce a quality product that will last?

2. What should I pay for one new?

3. Would it make sense to buy a used one? What should I pay for one? Is
Ebay a good place to find one, or do I need to examine it in person?

4. What do I need to look for to make sure that I'm not getting a worn or
broken device?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks