Ol' Duffer

Default Looking for Uncommon Threading Die

I'm looking for a threading die for garden hose fittings.
I think this might be 5/8"x14 NPT. All the standard tap
and die sets skip over this size. Doesn't have to be
particularly good quality, carbon steel would be okay,
just want to chase threads on an old faucet that has
developed mineral deposits to the point that I can't
get a hose to screw on anymore. The faucet is otherwise
in good working order, and I hate to have to replace it
just because it needs cleaned up a bit. The folks who
make these parts have to have taps and dies, right?
So what are they using and where do they get it?
Jeff Wisnia

Ol' Duffer wrote:
I'm looking for a threading die for garden hose fittings.
I think this might be 5/8"x14 NPT. All the standard tap
and die sets skip over this size. Doesn't have to be
particularly good quality, carbon steel would be okay,
just want to chase threads on an old faucet that has
developed mineral deposits to the point that I can't
get a hose to screw on anymore. The faucet is otherwise
in good working order, and I hate to have to replace it
just because it needs cleaned up a bit. The folks who
make these parts have to have taps and dies, right?
So what are they using and where do they get it?

Sounds like an job for a thread restoring file at or close to the thread
size. Why not see if you can borrow one or find a place where you can
buy just one file covering the pitch you need. Here's some:

http://www.labsafety.com/store/produ...071&parent=209

The ones I've got cover eight different pitches per file, they are
square in section and have four on each end.

Another thought, how about wrapping and tying a bit of rag around those
cruddy threads, soaking it with vinegar and then using a rubber band to
secure a small plastic bag around it to keep the vinegar from
evaporating. Leave it that way for a day or so. You may well find that
the mineral deposits soften enough so you can easily remove them with a
wire brush.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Robert Swinney

"Ol' Duffer" wrote in message
I'm looking for a threading die for garden hose fittings.
I think this might be 5/8"x14 NPT. All the standard tap
and die sets skip over this size. Doesn't have to be
particularly good quality, carbon steel would be okay,
just want to chase threads on an old faucet that has
developed mineral deposits to the point that I can't
get a hose to screw on anymore. The faucet is otherwise
in good working order, and I hate to have to replace it
just because it needs cleaned up a bit. The folks who
make these parts have to have taps and dies, right?
So what are they using and where do they get it?

Suggest you first try one of the bathroom cleaners (Limeaway, etc) to remove
the deposits from the faucet's threads. You may have to soak some of it up
into a sponge or rag and tie it to the faucet. Keep it saturated for a
while and see if it attacks the deposits. Judicious use of a threadfile
might help also. After the faucet is clean, screw on a garden-hose quick
disconnect female and a corresponding male part on the end of the hose.

Bob Swinney

Grant Erwin

Ol' Duffer wrote:
I'm looking for a threading die for garden hose fittings.
I think this might be 5/8"x14 NPT. All the standard tap
and die sets skip over this size. Doesn't have to be
particularly good quality, carbon steel would be okay,
just want to chase threads on an old faucet that has
developed mineral deposits to the point that I can't
get a hose to screw on anymore. The faucet is otherwise
in good working order, and I hate to have to replace it
just because it needs cleaned up a bit. The folks who
make these parts have to have taps and dies, right?
So what are they using and where do they get it?

What if you take a junk female hose fitting and cut some axial lines in it with
a hacksaw? Not through cuts, just scoring cuts, enough to leave some sharp edges
to act die-like. Then just try threading it on, maybe the saw cuts would do the
job for you.

Another idea is a spot blaster tool with some glass bead media.

There is no thread 5/8-14 NPT that I know of. 'Course, I don't know everything,
not by a long shot, nor have I researched this. Also, *my* pipe fittings are a
lot bigger than 5/8".

There exist thread files for NPT threads, oddball thread counts like 11½. I own
one. Those would work OK for you although it's super-hard to file something
perfectly round..

GWE
Don Foreman

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:46:25 -0400, Ol' Duffer
wrote:

I'm looking for a threading die for garden hose fittings.
I think this might be 5/8"x14 NPT. All the standard tap
and die sets skip over this size. Doesn't have to be
particularly good quality, carbon steel would be okay,
just want to chase threads on an old faucet that has
developed mineral deposits to the point that I can't
get a hose to screw on anymore. The faucet is otherwise
in good working order, and I hate to have to replace it
just because it needs cleaned up a bit. The folks who
make these parts have to have taps and dies, right?
So what are they using and where do they get it?

A male garden hose fitting on my bench is 1.050 over the threads,
pitch is 11.5 TPI. That's probably nominally 1-1/16 - 11.5. I
think I have seen dies like this in a catalog, but I lathe-cut them.

You should be able to clean up your faucet with a mild acid (vinegar
or dilute muriatic) or a household lime remover. A brass wire brush
may help.

yourname

Grant Erwin wrote:
Ol' Duffer wrote:

[...]

I think it is first not a taper, since it has a washer, and my hose
fittings are more like an inch

You can clean up male threads pretty well with a triangular needle
file.

jw

Ted Edwards

Don Foreman wrote:
A male garden hose fitting on my bench is 1.050 over the threads,
pitch is 11.5 TPI. That's probably nominally 1-1/16 - 11.5.

1.050 is the nominal OD of 3/4" pipe. Coincidence?

Ted
Don Foreman

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:30:22 -0400, Ol' Duffer
wrote:

In article ,
says...
A male garden hose fitting on my bench is 1.050 over the threads,
pitch is 11.5 TPI. That's probably nominally 1-1/16 - 11.5. I
think I have seen dies like this in a catalog, but I lathe-cut them.

Further research leads me to believe that 1.0625 x 11.5 is in fact
the correct size. Although mine are definitely tapered, but that's
old school, and no harm would be done by rethreading to the current
straight standard. Do you remember what catalog you saw this size in?
Obviously, it's going to be tricky to chuck my house up for turning,
which is why I am looking for a hand die ;-) Thanks for the info.

Sorry, I don't -- and I looked.

Threading on a "slow to stop" lathe Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Metalworking 16 May 25th 05 06:05 AM
Threading Jigs? Scott Woodturning 17 March 1st 05 06:21 AM
A different single-point threading question.... Ken Sterling Metalworking 40 June 3rd 04 03:23 AM
Threading: 29º or another way... Robin S. Metalworking 5 November 22nd 03 06:55 PM