JohnM

labeana wrote:
I am designing a line of handbags that will use resin cast frames/handles
as the chief feature....I make the original out of polymer clay, make an
rtv mold and cast resin so it looks kind of like ivory or bakelite...here
is my problem....I like the simplicity of making a one part mold with the
focus on the sculpted area but that eliminates the ability for me to make
the pivoting area on both sides from the one piece mold...so I thought if
I could find a place that made the small pivoting components that you see
"shoved into" old celluloid or bakelite bags that would work....alas, I
don't even know what they are called, never mind who makes them...

In case I haven't made it clear, if you look at a let's say a metal purse
frame...it opens and closes by means of a small pivoting hinge type part
the is kept in place with a small rivet or pin....

Anyone have a clue on locating a source for these?
thanks
Lauren

Can you put up a few pictures of what you need? There's some pretty
intelligent cats here, it's likely you can get good advice.

John

JohnM

labeana wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ana/corner.jpg

My wife, who is much more the authority on this sort of subject than I,
says that a good place to start would be in the back of the crafts
magazines, she looked in one filled with stuff concerning beads and said
there was quite a few advertisers who looked likely to be able to do
what you need.

Have you done a Google search? That may bring up a supplier who would
deal in whatever quantites you need, if you're looking for very small
numbers of nice pieces the magazine advertisers may not be exactly right
for what you need..

John

You might try model airplane suppliers. Polypropylene can be bent for a
very long time without breaking and makes a good, durable hinge.

jw

Ken Sterling

[...]

I don't know exactly what the molds for the frames look like, or how
you are casting as one piece, but would it be possible to use a small
length of "zip tie" (tie wrap) as the hinge and mold it right into the
pour? The plastic of the zip tie is pretty tough and can be had in
black or white, has ridges in it to help it get a better bite into the
casting material - and probably would last as long as anything else in
this particular application.
HTH
Ken.

It's mainly used for plastic boxes molded in one piece with the hinge
being a thin strip between the box and the lid. The plastic control
surface hinges used on model aircraft are inexpensive and about the
right size for a purse, if not the right look. They would probably have
to be attached to the cast frame; polypropylene might not be rigid
enough for the whole thing, it's practically the definition of "cheap
plastic feel", and it's too syrupy when melted to cast without some
sort of pressure injection machine.

The hinge in your example photo apeared to be sheet metal.

jw

labeana

thanks for the suggestion, John...I didn't know how to post a pic so I just
posted the url

JohnM

labeana wrote:
Thanks so much John, but I have been looking for these for over a year
lol....I have googled, Yahooed, come up with every combination of words I
can think of but no one even knows what these pivot thingies are
called....and I guess most of the companies who make the ready to use
metal frames you see on the market build that part of it into the whole
thing, so I don't even know if I will be able to find any...I might have
to resort to having them made, which I'm sure will not be cheap....sigh
Well, thanks again, it's nice to know there is someone out there listening
lol...
Lauren

Do you need just the hinge, and you'll cast it into your frame? If so,
the cheapest way might be to buy whole frames and cut the portion of the
hinge you need from them. Better yet, use the whole frame and cast your
piece onto it, that way if you get stiff hinges you'll not have to worry
so much about the cast portions breaking off from the frame.

You might also bend a wire hinge, two eyes that are looped together..
Stainless welding wire might be a good start, it's pretty cheap and
exceedingly tough.

John

labeana

thanks, JW...I had no idea....so this polypropylene, it's a plastic that
is
used for hinges in model making?

Roger Jones

There are hinge makers that make real narrow hinges. For instance, Lee
Valley (www.leevalley.com) has some 100 degree lid stays and several knife
hinge designs that you might be interested in. These are the only real
narrow hinges that I found when looking quickly. The ones in the catalog
are solid brass and might be a little pricey for what you are interested in
but this is a start.

Of more interest might be some plastic hinges such as offered by Reid
(www.reidsupply.com). They have a variety of sizes and colors of continuous
plastic hinges made of polyolefin that you could cut to your requirements.
Make sure that you look at the physical properties of polyolefin. They also
have some Acrylic Hinge with a Flex-Fold Hinge that looks interesting. The
sides are acrylic and the hinge, a separate part, is a urethane esastomer
with both being extruded together.

Roger

labeana

thanks, I will look into this!