Bob Engelhardt

Default Gear hobbing

The recent thread about choosing gears for the drive train in a gear
hobber left me wondering. You can hob gears by driving the blank with
the hob itself. I just rented a video by Jose Rodriquez that shows how
to do it. There are also web sites showing hobbing with hob-driven
blanks. This technique seems to work well enough. What makes the
independently-driven blank process better enough to justify the highly
increased complexity?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Engelhardt

machineman wrote:
I think accuracy may be the root of some of these. Check out this site

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/worms.htm

Yeah, that's one of the sites that shows a *hob-driven* blank.
Actually, I didn't see any sites with independently driven blanks.
Googling "synchronized gear hobbing" wasn't much help (production /
machinery sites mostly). Does anybody have a good link for synchronized
gear hobbing?

Bob
machineman

Other than coming up with a manual for a gear hobber, I doubt if you are
going to find much info on the web. I checked a few texts and other
than a brief mention there is not a lot of info. Try ABE books for used
books on gears or gear making as such below

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...%2Bhob%26x%3D0

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
machineman wrote:

I think accuracy may be the root of some of these. Check out this site

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/worms.htm

Yeah, that's one of the sites that shows a *hob-driven* blank. Actually,
I didn't see any sites with independently driven blanks. Googling
"synchronized gear hobbing" wasn't much help (production / machinery
sites mostly). Does anybody have a good link for synchronized gear
hobbing?

Bob

Adam Smith

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevens...earhobbing.txt

Also try the yahoogroups mwmills2, there are a bunch of Model Engineer
Workshop articles on diy hobbing machines.

John Stevenson pops in occasionally on mwmills2, diycnc and here. His posts
are always worth reading, you might try googling "stevenson gear hob".

Adam Smith
Midland, Ontario, Canada

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
The recent thread about choosing gears for the drive train in a gear
hobber left me wondering. You can hob gears by driving the blank with the
hob itself. I just rented a video by Jose Rodriquez that shows how to do
it. There are also web sites showing hobbing with hob-driven blanks.
This technique seems to work well enough. What makes the
independently-driven blank process better enough to justify the highly
increased complexity?

Thanks,
Bob

Martin H. Eastburn

Try this - ISBN 159180889 Gear Cutting Practice 1937 Colvin and Stanley.
Lindsay Publications Inc reprinted it On hobbing - there is 22 pages.
Tons of different gears are defined and tabled. Lindsay did it in '92.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

machineman wrote:

I think accuracy may be the root of some of these. Check out this site

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/worms.htm

Yeah, that's one of the sites that shows a *hob-driven* blank.
Actually, I didn't see any sites with independently driven blanks.
Googling "synchronized gear hobbing" wasn't much help (production /
machinery sites mostly). Does anybody have a good link for
synchronized gear hobbing?

Bob

Bob Engelhardt

xray wrote:
Thanks, but you typed the ISBN wrong (missing a 5). Here's a link to a
finder list...

snip

Better yet, order it from Lindsay and support their effort to keep these
books around:
http://lindsaybks.com/ord/index.html

Order number 20889, $14.95

Bob
Martin H. Eastburn

Your right - and I'm a "Book Collection" program user that enters those bar code numbers
I mean LCN or ISBN. Book collection goes out and pulls in the information on the book
for your data base. A professional library uses the version I have. Lots of work to
enter a large lib into it though. Fast lookup and such.
1559180889
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

xray wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:02:20 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Try this - ISBN 159180889 Gear Cutting Practice 1937 Colvin and Stanley.
Lindsay Publications Inc reprinted it On hobbing - there is 22 pages.
Tons of different gears are defined and tabled. Lindsay did it in '92.

Martin

Thanks, but you typed the ISBN wrong (missing a 5). Here's a link to a
finder list...

http://www.bookfinder4u.com/IsbnSear...89&mode=direct

Looks good, though. I ordered one and some other stuff I'd been putting
off.