habbi

Default ready welder

Anyone here have a Ready Welder, what do you think of it. I am mostly
interested in doing aluminum. Also can you run it of an AC buzz box, what
about an AC-DC Buzz box? I am currently using a 170 amp Lincoln MIG for
aluminum and it does a great job but the feeding issues are driving me crazy
( burn back and melt into the tip or tighten drive roller and risk
birdsnests).

Wayne Cook

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:03:02 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:

Anyone here have a Ready Welder, what do you think of it. I am mostly
interested in doing aluminum. Also can you run it of an AC buzz box, what
about an AC-DC Buzz box? I am currently using a 170 amp Lincoln MIG for
aluminum and it does a great job but the feeding issues are driving me crazy
( burn back and melt into the tip or tighten drive roller and risk
birdsnests).

The Ready Welder is a pretty good spool gun for the price. It's not
industrial quality and I don't think it would last long in a rough
commercial shop environment but then it costs half what a industrial
quality spool gun does.

It won't work with a AC welder but should work ok with a AC/DC
welder. However if you've got a 170 MIG then just hook it to that.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Peter Wiley

In article , habbi
wrote:

Anyone here have a Ready Welder, what do you think of it. I am mostly
interested in doing aluminum. Also can you run it of an AC buzz box, what
about an AC-DC Buzz box? I am currently using a 170 amp Lincoln MIG for
aluminum and it does a great job but the feeding issues are driving me crazy
( burn back and melt into the tip or tighten drive roller and risk
birdsnests).

I've got one but have only used it for flux cored steel wire ATM. It
works fine so far but I've put less than one spool through it.

Mine is running off the DC output of a stick welder. I've got the
welder set to 200A output to drive the spoolgun at 'realistic' feed
rates. I can burn clean thru 5mm boiler tube at this setting if I'm not
careful.

The std unit can't run off of a welder as the voltage is too high for
the electronics. You need the model spec'ed for a DC welding plant; it
comes with its own small box to feed the electronics. This is a clunky
transformer and as I'm in Australia and use 240V, I ****-canned it and
replaced it with a switching power supply instead. Works fine.

All in all I'm quite happy with the unit. I'd buy another one.

PDW