The amount of current that an induction motor draws depends on the
amount of power being produced. A motor that has no load does not draw
nearly as much current as one producing the horsepower listed on the
nameplate. The neat thing is that if you put a little power into the
motor it will draw even less current. More power in and the current
drawn goes negative......That is the motor is generating electricity.

Note while an induction motor can be made to generate power when it is
not hooked to the power grid, it requires some capacitors to do so and
will not work well over a wide range of power out. But if one attaches
another power source to the rotor and have single phase power connected
to two of the wires, it will produce quality 3 phase power of 60 hz (
assuming 60 hz single phase power ). Can even be driven with a single
phase electric motor, but must be driven at slightly over the
synchronous speed ( 1800 rpm for a 4 pole motor ).
So if doing this with a electric motor you need to belt drive and have
one of the pulleys adjustable. Then measure the current drawn by the
single phase motor and adjust the pulley ratio so that the current
drawn by the single phase motor is within its rated nameplate current .

You can also use a induction motor driven with a gas engine to keep the
rpms at a constant amount. This is used with the gasolene engines with
variable compression ratio used to test octane of gasolene.

Dan

The Tagge's wrote:
Is there any way that I can rig up a phase converter such as shown below,
and attach another power source (read gas or diesel engine) to the actual
rotor, and come out with quality 3 phase eclectic power of 60 Hz?

thanks

Gunner

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:17:58 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:59:20 -0700, G Henslee
wrote:

Ignoramus23077 wrote:

thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

No problem. Glad to share.

Costs of parts actually used, so far:

* 10 HP motor -- $40
* Definite Purpose contactor -- $3
* 2 capacitors, 92 mF each -- $2

The total cost, so far, is $45. Wires and new breaker do not count.

Hey Ignorant, for $10 more you could have built an electric chair, tried
it out yourself and we'd never hear from you again. Think about it for
your next project.

Hey Gomer, why not putz off? While you are mucking around, dazed look
on your face, tongue sticking out the corner of your drooling mouth,
trying to figure out how to change a drawer pull, folks like Iggy are
making the drawer pulls from scratch.

Tell you what..why not go play he
http://www.****ingmachines.com/menu.php

Im sure you can, with your Kmart tools, manage to find a device simple
enough for even you to build, to **** yourself with.

That site is pretty disturbing. What kind guys build those machines? I
thought metalworking was a nice, innocent hobby :-).

They are for that special woman..the gift that keeps on giving G

Incindentally, those trolls don't think like engineers. Why spend
hundreds of bucks building something with your Kmart tools when you
could just rent a jackhammer for a day?

Chris

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Gunner

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:42:20 GMT, Ignoramus9394
wrote:

Thanks Gunner... I tend to think that making a 10 hp phase converter
for $45 is exciting...

Actually..so do I. And Ive had a brand new 3600 rpm 10hp motor tucked
away for a year or more..I think you have given me reason to build my
bigger one.

Gunner

wrote:

Ignoramus23077 wrote:
[...]

John Adams

"Gunner" wrote in message ...
Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Gunner

wrote:

Ignoramus23077 wrote:

thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

No problem. Glad to share.

Costs of parts actually used, so far:

* 10 HP motor -- $40
* Definite Purpose contactor -- $3
* 2 capacitors, 92 mF each -- $2

The total cost, so far, is $45. Wires and new breaker do not count.

Hey Ignorant, for $10 more you could have built an electric chair, tried
it out yourself and we'd never hear from you again. Think about it for
your next project.

Hey Gomer, why not putz off? While you are mucking around, dazed look
on your face, tongue sticking out the corner of your drooling mouth,
trying to figure out how to change a drawer pull, folks like Iggy are
making the drawer pulls from scratch.

Tell you what..why not go play he
http://www.****ingmachines.com/menu.php

Great pic of your wife there Gooney.

Glad you liked it. So how about posting a picture of your husband?

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Gunner

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:38:54 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

wrote:

Ignoramus23077 wrote:

[...]

Gooney,

When you're finished blowing Ingnorant, take a course in anger mgmt. You
seem very disturbed about something.

Er, it would appear to be you who started this, not Gunner?

Chris

He is just ****ed that he got bitch slapped.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
G Henslee

wrote:

Tell you what..why not go play he
http://www.****ingmachines.com/menu.php

Great pic of your wife there Gooney.

Glad you liked it. So how about posting a picture of your husband?

Goonie

Fetch fido. Here boy...
G Henslee

Gooney wrote:

He is just ****ed that he got bitch slapped.

Gooney

LOL - Don't credit yourself jackoff. You couldn't **** me off to save
your ass.

Gunner

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:24:49 GMT, "John Adams"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message ...
Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win great triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray
twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." --Theodore Roosevelt

Gunner

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:30:26 -0700, G Henslee
wrote:

Gooney wrote:

He is just ****ed that he got bitch slapped.

Gooney

LOL - Don't credit yourself jackoff. You couldn't **** me off to save
your ass.

Odd..generally the retarded are pretty excitable. They got you on some
really good tranks huh?

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

G Henslee

wrote:

Gooney wrote:

He is just ****ed that he got bitch slapped.

Gooney

LOL - Don't credit yourself jackoff. You couldn't **** me off to save
your ass.

Odd..generally the retarded are pretty excitable. They got you on some
really good tranks huh?

Gooney

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Good catch boy. Hereya go - fetch some more.
jim rozen

In article , Artemia Salina
says...

'vehicles are not toys'

I'm still having a hard time with this one!

Kids are not allowed to play in, or around vehicles of
any kind. They are not allowed to climb onto or into
them, tip them off the stands, adjust any of the controls
or switches, or play hide-and-seek behind them.

Until they have a drivers licence that is.

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

Artemia Salina

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:45:25 +0000, Ignoramus27279 wrote:

That's great! I am sure that with your welding machines etc, you can
build a much better looking enclosure than what I did.

My RPC went through several enclosure schemes before I was happy with it.
This is a 2 HP RPC. I started out trying to build the whole thing inside
of an old Heathkit DX-100 Ham Radio cabinet, thinking that keeping everything
self-contained was a smart idea. It turned out to be too big a bulky for
my tiny workshop. I finally found a smallish metal utility box, like the
kind you might have on a desk to keep paperwork or keys and other odds and
ends in. It was kind of cramped but I mounted all of the components for
the RPC in it -- relays, balancing and start caps, start/run and on/off
switches, and fuses. I bolted this guts box to a plank and using EMT
connectors to run the wiring through I attached it to the idler motor
(which was bolted to the plank as well). On top of this guts box I mounted
two outlet boxes with a 4-wire twist lock outlet in each. This is 3-phase
output. Rather than cutting the shaft off of the idler motor, I decided
to make a shield for it out of aluminum wire mesh (stucco screen).

This arrangement has worked out great. Its much more compact and expandable
in the future. The only thing I'd like to change is to replace the
wooden plank with a frame made of welded angle stock and some rubber feet.
I'll get around to that one day.

Gunner

wrote:

Gooney wrote:

He is just ****ed that he got bitch slapped.

Gooney

LOL - Don't credit yourself jackoff. You couldn't **** me off to save
your ass.

Odd..generally the retarded are pretty excitable. They got you on some
really good tranks huh?

Gooney

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Good, Im a catch boy. Will you felch me?

No. Sorry. I dont swing that way.

Ask Richard Gere.