Default Delta 24-150 Tool Maker Grinder

Hi,

There have been several posts lately about the Toolmaker grinder. I
have one, complete with all the accessories.

I have put a copy of some pages from a 1972 Rockwell catalogue that
gives a description of the machine and the accessories into the
Dropbox.

Two files: page 1-4 and 5-7
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...tlg1-4-pdf.pdf
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...tlg5-7-pdf.pdf

Manuals and parts list for the 24-150 and the coolant system (24-823)
are available (pdf's) from http://www.deltawoodworking.com.

Bruce

Thanks.

".. can be used for surface grinding accurate, flat surfaces where the
surface pattern and RMS finish are not critical..."

Yep, that's my grinder.

Jim Wilkins

Jim,

Not exactly the most rigid machine, but useful. I actually do use it
for sharpeing, and it's good for that.

Do you get a regular scalloping on the surface? I haven't check it
out, but I think it's caused by the rack and pinion drive. I think
the teflon on the ways is getting thin which is causing the pinion to
engage too deeply in the rack

Bruce

Chuck Sherwood

Not exactly the most rigid machine, but useful. I actually do use it
for sharpeing, and it's good for that.

I have one in very nice condition that I bought from Dick Trimstra
in Detroit. It does ok as a surface grinder. It will not produce
the same surface finish that the Harrig Hydrolic drive unit at
the local Jr. College but its still a nice addition to a home
shop. Another plus is that it was pretty easy to move into my
basement shop.

chuck

Mine is an older model with well-worn flat ways and no evidence of
Teflon. The scalloped pattern doesn't show as much if I crank the table
in or out steadily while traversing, so the wheel follows a zig-zag
path.

Jim W

Chuck Sherwood

Mine is an older model with well-worn flat ways and no evidence of
Teflon. The scalloped pattern doesn't show as much if I crank the table

My grinder say Rockwell. I have one V and one flat way. I do not see
any teflon coatings. Perhaps I should ask what a Teflon way looks
like! Did they all have them?
Chuck Sherwood

Do you get a regular scalloping on the surface? I haven't check it
out, but I think it's caused by the rack and pinion drive. I think
the teflon on the ways is getting thin which is causing the pinion to
engage too deeply in the rack

Do you have a single phase or 3phase motor. If its 3phase, what are
you using for a power source?

My grinder has 3phase motor and I run it from VFD. Works pretty well
considering I'm grinding dry. Someday I want to hook up the mist
coolent and see how much difference it makes.

chuck

It came with a 3-phase 240V motor which I ran a little with a home-brew
static converter, but I assumed that it would be much easier to sell
quickly (if I find a -good- surface grinder) if it ran on single phase
120VAC so I tried a 1/2 HP Weg TEFC motor on it as a test, and it's
stayed there ever since.

It works pretty well despite all the wear. I use it to put a better
finish on milled parts and to sharpen end mills, taps, reamers, planer
blades, etc, and only rarely to grind large flat surfaces. It did a
nice job of cleaning up that warped air compressor head that was
blowing gaskets.

Jim Wilkins

sawdoc

Yes, a V and a flat way.

It's been a while since I had the table off, but it's a thin layer of
telfon with an adhesive back. I think the telfon was on the stationary
base, not the table. Lee Valley Tools sells a roll to telfon tape that
I've used on other grinder ways. Sort of a poor man's Turcite.

Bruce

Chuck Sherwood

It came with a 3-phase 240V motor which I ran a little with a home-brew
static converter, but I assumed that it would be much easier to sell
quickly (if I find a -good- surface grinder) if it ran on single phase
120VAC so I tried a 1/2 HP Weg TEFC motor on it as a test, and it's
stayed there ever since.

My manual states that the motor is a special balance and the motor
is also balanced with the pulley in place. They continue on stating
that if the motor is replaced, the new motor must be dynamically
balanced with the pulley in place.

This was enough to convince me that I should not replace the motor
with a generic single phase motor. It also convinced me that running
a static converter on a SG was probably not a good idea. Others in
this group reported problems with rotary phase converters that
disappeared when they changed to VFD. I decided to bypass all this
misery and bought a VFD.

My point is: The original poster was complaining about scalops.
Perhaps those scalops are related to motor vibration.

chuck