rigger

Default Seneca Falls lathe value?

I sure hope someone can help me out here. I just looked at what
appears to be a 14x36 lathe produced in the 30's (couldn't find the
serial number). It has the old cone type pullys and has about a 3/4 Hp
factory drive system. It appears fairly tight with a minimum of slop
in the screws/nuts and not much wear on any ways. It runs quietly and
all feeds engage properly. It's equipped with chucks; a 6" 3 jaw, 12"
4 jaw, steady and follow rests and complete taper attachment and a
whole batch of cutting tools and holders. Although it has a great
selection of change gears it has no threading dial; can it still be
used for threading? The lady who owns it is asking $600.00 which seems
rather steep to me but??? Thanks for any help you all can give me.

dennis in nca

Mungo Bulge

Something like this? http://www.lathes.co.uk/senecafalls

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...
|I sure hope someone can help me out here. I just looked at what
| appears to be a 14x36 lathe produced in the 30's (couldn't find the
| serial number). It has the old cone type pullys and has about a 3/4
Hp
| factory drive system. It appears fairly tight with a minimum of
slop
| in the screws/nuts and not much wear on any ways. It runs quietly
and
| all feeds engage properly. It's equipped with chucks; a 6" 3 jaw,
12"
| 4 jaw, steady and follow rests and complete taper attachment and a
| whole batch of cutting tools and holders. Although it has a great
| selection of change gears it has no threading dial; can it still be
| used for threading? The lady who owns it is asking $600.00 which
seems
| rather steep to me but??? Thanks for any help you all can give me.
|
| dennis in nca

Bob May

I'd probably snap it up myself. The lathe is heavier duty than the typical
10-12" Atlas lathes and thus would be more usable than them.
The price would be sort of dependant upon the amount of tooling that comes
with the lathe.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Mungo Bulge

"Bob May" wrote in message
| I'd probably snap it up myself. The lathe is heavier duty than the
typical
| 10-12" Atlas lathes and thus would be more usable than them.
| The price would be sort of dependant upon the amount of tooling that
comes
| with the lathe.
|
| --
| Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?
The Arctic ozone hole first appeared in the mid-1990s, more than a
decade after the Antarctic hole.

PrecisionMachinisT

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...
I sure hope someone can help me out here. I just looked at what
appears to be a 14x36 lathe produced in the 30's (couldn't find the
serial number). It has the old cone type pullys and has about a 3/4 Hp
factory drive system. It appears fairly tight with a minimum of slop
in the screws/nuts and not much wear on any ways. It runs quietly and
all feeds engage properly. It's equipped with chucks; a 6" 3 jaw, 12"
4 jaw, steady and follow rests and complete taper attachment and a
whole batch of cutting tools and holders. Although it has a great
selection of change gears it has no threading dial; can it still be
used for threading? The lady who owns it is asking $600.00 which seems
rather steep to me but??? Thanks for any help you all can give me.

dennis in nca

Then tell her that if she gives you $100.00 then you will pack it off her
property for her.

--

SVL

rigger

That's it exactly, thanks very much. It looks like I'll continue my
search for a machine with threading but for anyone who may be
interested it's located in Chico, CA; anyone interested can contact me
directly and I'll supply the seller's phone number, etc. As I said it's
in good condition and also mounted on a stand with drawers as well.

dennis in nca

Mungo Bulge

That is a "machine with threading"

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...
| That's it exactly, thanks very much. It looks like I'll continue my
| search for a machine with threading but for anyone who may be
| interested it's located in Chico, CA; anyone interested can contact
me
| directly and I'll supply the seller's phone number, etc. As I said
it's
| in good condition and also mounted on a stand with drawers as well.
|
| dennis in nca

Will

On 19 Jul 2005 15:33:18 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

I sure hope someone can help me out here. I just looked at what
appears to be a 14x36 lathe produced in the 30's (couldn't find the
serial number). It has the old cone type pullys and has about a 3/4 Hp
factory drive system. It appears fairly tight with a minimum of slop
in the screws/nuts and not much wear on any ways. It runs quietly and
all feeds engage properly. It's equipped with chucks; a 6" 3 jaw, 12"
4 jaw, steady and follow rests and complete taper attachment and a
whole batch of cutting tools and holders. Although it has a great
selection of change gears it has no threading dial; can it still be
used for threading? The lady who owns it is asking $600.00 which seems
rather steep to me but??? Thanks for any help you all can give me.

dennis in nca

If anyone is interested in Seneca Falls lathes a friend of mine has
one for sale in pretty nice shape. It has thread cutting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

Will
DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
rigger wrote:
That's it exactly, thanks very much. It looks like I'll continue my
search for a machine with threading

Nothing in the article which preceded yours, nor in the web page
to which it pointed said anything which cold be interpreted as the lathe
being incapable of threading, and the web page showed among other
things some features which make it easier to set up for different
threads than most change-gear lathes. Things like the spring clips on
the change gears make changing threads a lot easier, and I particularly
like the set of hooks on the inside of the gearcover for hanging the
change gears not currently in use.

One of the photos on the PHOTOS web page gave the basic list of
what gears to put where for a fairly reasonable list of thread pitches:

TPI
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
18
20
22
24
26
28
30
32
36
40
48
52
64

There are some useful threads not included in the list. One
which come to my attention is the 27 TPI used for microphone mount clips
and for lamp fixture "plumbing". (But that particular thread pitch is
left off of a lot of different lathes, even those with quick-change
gearboxes.

Yes -- it is *easier* to thread with a threading dial, but you
can make ones for lathes which don't have one. I seem to remember an
article in _Home Shop Machinist_, or some similar magazine describing
how to do it. (Also, you can find similar article by a bit of a web
search.)

And -- there is a good chance that you could fit a threading
dial from another lathe with the same pitch of leadscrew, if you don't
feel like making your own.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
rigger

You're 100% correct Don. My inexperience with smaller machines lead me
(foolishly) to assume () without the quick change feature, of one of
the other models, threading would be difficult or impossible. Now I
have to decide if this is a project I want to spend time on or whether
I want to skip ahead directly to threading use without the additional
project. I like a challenge but have so many things cooking I hate to
slow everything down by adding another to the pile. Thanks a lot.

dennis in nca

Mungo Bulge

If the "project" you are alluding to is the fabrication of a leadscrew
indicator dial, rest assured, threading is possible without it, and in
fact, there are occasions when it is of little use. Keep in mine,
machinists were cutting threads with the use of the leadscrew before
the leadscrew indicator was invented. My favourite reference on the
subject is a book (#3) from "Workshop Practice Series" called
Screwcutting in the Lathe by Mortin Cleeve.
The leadsrew indicator dial indicates when the leadscrew and carriage
are in a known relationship. If you stop the lathe after the first
pass (cut), retract the cutter, and with the half nuts still engaged,
reposition the carriage by reversing the lathe spindle and the
leadscrew.
There are many other ways, some easier, some harder, most are the best
way given a particular set of circumstances.
There is also an advantage to having a change gear lathe that is not
available on a lathe with QC gearbox, and that is the ability to use
any one of the 804,650 gear combinations available from a standard
20+1 gear set, using 2, 4, & 6 gear combinations.(only ~750K being
practical)

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...
| You're 100% correct Don. My inexperience with smaller machines lead
me
| (foolishly) to assume () without the quick change feature, of one
of
| the other models, threading would be difficult or impossible. Now I
| have to decide if this is a project I want to spend time on or
whether
| I want to skip ahead directly to threading use without the
additional
| project. I like a challenge but have so many things cooking I hate
| slow everything down by adding another to the pile. Thanks a lot.
|
| dennis in nca

rigger

I understand the method you've described to reposition the carriage;
makes perfect sense. Thanks Mungo. When I sometimes used to buy older
machinery the seller would say when the operator retired they tried to
have others operate but they couldn't get the accuracy the original
operator could. They would say the old operator knew the piece of
equipment so well and the new operators knew nothing about it; I'm in
the second class. Always had someone much more experienced than I do
the fun stuff. Now it's my turn. Guess I'll make an offer on this
lathe.
dennis in nca

Mungo Bulge

Hope it's still on the market. Maybe she will take $500 and handyman
work. I got the impression it wasn't hers.

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...
|I understand the method you've described to reposition the carriage;
| makes perfect sense. Thanks Mungo. When I sometimes used to buy
older
| machinery the seller would say when the operator retired they tried
| have others operate but they couldn't get the accuracy the original
| operator could. They would say the old operator knew the piece of
| equipment so well and the new operators knew nothing about it; I'm
in
| the second class. Always had someone much more experienced than I
do
| the fun stuff. Now it's my turn. Guess I'll make an offer on this
| lathe.
| dennis in nca

jim rozen

In article .com, rigger
says...

...Always had someone much more experienced than I do
the fun stuff. Now it's my turn. Guess I'll make an offer on this
lathe.

Yet another seneca falls machine. This one interesting because
it has a) riser blocks, and b) a taper attachment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5988359415&indexURL=6# ebayphotohosting

Jim

please reply to:

A Sennca Falls Lathe questions jmiguez Metalworking 31 January 31st 05 12:54 PM
Old Seneca Falls lathe J. Mark Wolf Metalworking 4 January 20th 05 04:05 AM
Seneca Falls Star Lathe Chuck Metalworking 3 May 6th 04 06:02 AM
Very Old Seneca Falls Lathe Chuck Metalworking 4 May 4th 04 11:47 PM
Anyone own a Senaca Falls Lathe? Wayne Metalworking 9 April 25th 04 02:05 PM