JohnF

Default Need idea to test air flow in shop.

I looked into the "smoke tubes" from Grainger but they're $100.00 for
a kit. I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Ideas?

JohnF
Modat22

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:15:40 GMT, JohnF
wrote:

I looked into the "smoke tubes" from Grainger but they're $100.00 for
a kit. I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Ideas?

JohnF

Fill a cloths iron with anti freeze and set it on steam. It will
produce loads of smoke and though crude might fill your needs for the
price.
HotRod

COOL Idea, How toxic is the smoke?

The simplest way I know to make air flow visible is to weight a mylar
Helium balloon to neutral buoyancy and release it. Latex balloons leak
too much to stay up very long.

jw

Leo Lichtman

"Nate Weber" wrote: Mcmaster has individual smoke bombs.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about walking around with a lit cigarette in your fingers (not in your
mouth)?

Nate Weber

JohnF wrote:
I looked into the "smoke tubes" from Grainger but they're $100.00 for
a kit. I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Ideas?

JohnF

Mcmaster has individual smoke bombs.
P/N 4093K14, 4093K13 or 4093K12

Nate

--
Http://www.Weber-Automation.net:8000
Nick Hull

In article ,
JohnF wrote:

I looked into the "smoke tubes" from Grainger but they're $100.00 for
a kit. I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Ideas?

An incense stick works real well, putting out a fine trail of smoke that
will map your air currents. Cheap too.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Richard J Kinch

JohnF writes:

I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Wal-Mart sells fog juice and generators. At least around Halloween. Or a
party store or Spencer gifts.

Don't use ethylene glycol antifreeze; highly toxic! Non-toxic antifreeze
or glycerin.

Insect foggers (Home Depot, Lowes) make a mineral oil fog that is harmless
in low doses. Can also use fog juice in them.

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:44:35 -0500, Richard J Kinch wrote:
JohnF writes:

I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Wal-Mart sells fog juice and generators. At least around Halloween. Or a
party store or Spencer gifts.

Yup. Theatrical smoke machines. We use them for training in our fire
department, it's passably accurate smoke but tastes odd if you're in
there without your SCBA on.

Don't use ethylene glycol antifreeze; highly toxic! Non-toxic antifreeze
or glycerin.

I'd stick with the pre-mixed stuff they sell, myself.
Karl Vorwerk

I'm guessing liver damage and death since that's what happens if you drink
it.
Karl

"HotRod" wrote in message
COOL Idea, How toxic is the smoke?

Rick

"JohnF" wrote in message
I looked into the "smoke tubes" from Grainger but they're $100.00

for
a kit. I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't

kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Ideas?

JohnF

They also make small squeeze bottles (kinda like the ones eye drops or
nasal spray comes in) with silica powder. I would imagine talc or
carpenters chalk would work, too.

Lots of other good suggestions have been posted

Modat22

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:28:25 -0400, "HotRod"
wrote:

COOL Idea, How toxic is the smoke?

I wouldn't want to stay in a room full of the smoke but if your only
using a little propylene glycol smoke to see air currents It should be
too bad exposure wise. They use the same thing in wind tunnels because
the smoke is extremely visible.

Fog juice in an old iron would probably work well too.

If you have a soldering gun with a desoldering bulb on it, you could
fill the bulb with fog juice and drip a little on the tip and watch
the smoke path.

P.S. if you ever want to add smoke screen to your car inject
antifreeze into your exhaust manifold. It works great.
Don Stauffer

How about gathering some dandalion seeds or other very light objects?
Soap bubbles?

Rick

"JohnF" wrote in message
I looked into the "smoke tubes" from Grainger but they're $100.00

for
a kit. I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't

kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Ideas?

JohnF

Ask one of the neighborhood kids if he has any smoke bombs or "snakes"
left over from 4th of July : )

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"
"JohnF" wrote in message
I looked into the "smoke tubes" from Grainger but they're $100.00

for
a kit. I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't

kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Ideas?

JohnF

Titanium chloride is the standard "non-toxic smoke" for air-flow tracing.
But you can home-make a chemical smoke that's nearly as dense, in one of two
ways:

1) Obtain some ammonium chloride powder or crystals. Heat a small pile of
the powder in a vessel with a small nozzle. DENSE clouds of ammonium
chloride aerosol will emerge as the powder sublimes.

2) Make an ammonium chloride generator. Equip a bottle with an air inlet,
an air outlet, and a hanger from which you can suspend a wad of cotton waste
about halfway up. Fill the bottle about 1/4 full of the most concentrated
household ammonia you can find. Wrap a stainless steel wire or plastic
string around a wad of cotton waste about the size of a ping pong ball.
Thoroughly saturate the ball with muratic acid, but not to the point of
dripping. Hang the ball just above the ammonia solution so it doesn't
touch, then close the jar and introduce a gentle air flow into the inlet.
Ammonium chloride aerosol will emerge from the nozzle.

The chemical process for TiCl is similar, but very expensive.

LLoyd

Don Foreman

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:28:12 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

1) Obtain some ammonium chloride powder or crystals. Heat a small pile of
the powder in a vessel with a small nozzle. DENSE clouds of ammonium
chloride aerosol will emerge as the powder sublimes.

If you can't find ammonium chloride by name, look for sal ammoniac.
Same stuff. It's available in blocks for tinning soldering coppers.

Gunner

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:15:08 GMT, JohnF
wrote:

Wow, I asked the right people.

Thanks

JohnF

wrote:

I looked into the "smoke tubes" from Grainger but they're $100.00 for
a kit. I know there is something cheap and relatively safe (can't kill
anyone except management) I could use to figure out air flow in the
shop.

Ideas?

JohnF

http://www.unitednuclear.com/smoke.htm

http://www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/ka...mbs171524.html

http://www.skylighter.com/skylighter...le.asp?Item=33

http://www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/ka.../theultim.html

yall should have asked me first....
heh

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Idea for emachine shop [email protected] Metalworking 0 July 2nd 05 01:33 AM
Radiant Heat, Shop related Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 10 March 7th 05 06:52 AM
A new slant on Shop Air Piping Leigh Knudson Metalworking 5 December 22nd 03 10:52 PM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
Time for a dedicated shop -linux_lad Woodworking 5 September 5th 03 01:11 AM