Junior Member

Location: Houston, TX
Default Location of store for HSS machine tools in Houston, TX

Hi,

does anyone know of a good location in Houston for purchasing HSS cutting tools for a lathe + milling machine? Things like center drills, end mills, cut-off blades... that kind of thing?

Also, does anyone know of a good outlet for brass + aluminium stock?

Thanks in advance!
RAM^3

--
Sprydle

While not in Houston, per se, Conroe Mill Supply has an excellent selection.

You might also want to check the Yellow Pages under Brass and/or Aluminum.
With a few phone calls, you'll end up with an extensive list places to
visit.

Good Luck!

DeepDiver

"Sprydle" wrote in message

does anyone know of a good location in Houston for purchasing HSS
cutting tools for a lathe + milling machine? Things like center drills,
end mills, cut-off blades... that kind of thing?

If you can't find a local source (or even if you can), I'd recommend buying
from Enco (online or over the phone):

http://www.use-enco.com

If you purchase $50 or more, then the UPS Ground shipping is usually free
(you just need the monthly promo code which is always floating around this
NG). And I think you're free of sales tax for deliveries to TX.

Just a satisfied customer!

- Michael

LP

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 02:59:51 +0100, Sprydle
wrote:

Hi,

does anyone know of a good location in Houston for purchasing HSS
cutting tools for a lathe + milling machine? Things like center drills,
end mills, cut-off blades... that kind of thing?

Also, does anyone know of a good outlet for brass + aluminium stock?

Thanks in advance!

For stock try

Metal Supermarket
13230 Hempstead Road
Houston, TX 77040
Tel: 713-934-3838
email:

They;re part of a chain and you can find out a little bit more about
it he
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

No guarantees since I'm in Michigan, not Texas, but the local store
here is well stocked, easy to deal with and priced as reasonable as
metal is gonna get these days.

Junior Member

Location: Houston, TX

Thanks very much all - I'll check out your tips.

I have just heard that Harbour Freight has cutting tools as do Grainger Supply.

Cheers!

R. O'Brian

Wholesale Tool at 8100 Pinemont Dr. has nearly everything you could possibly
need in the way of tooling at very good prices. I live in LA, but order
from them frequently.

Randy

"Sprydle" wrote in message

Thanks very much all - I'll check out your tips.

I have just heard that Harbour Freight has cutting tools as do Grainger
Supply.

Cheers!

--
Sprydle

DeepDiver

"Sprydle" wrote in message

I have just heard that Harbour Freight has cutting tools

While HF has many good values on power and hand tools, I would avoid their
cutting tools at any cost: they are very poor quality. Even the "cheap"
import cutting tools from other suppliers (like Enco, KBC, J&L, etc.) are
generally of much better quality (and I wouldn't recommend most of those
tools either).

- Michael

Pete Keillor

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:17:59 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Sprydle" wrote in message

does anyone know of a good location in Houston for purchasing HSS
cutting tools for a lathe + milling machine? Things like center drills,
end mills, cut-off blades... that kind of thing?

If you can't find a local source (or even if you can), I'd recommend buying
from Enco (online or over the phone):

http://www.use-enco.com

If you purchase $50 or more, then the UPS Ground shipping is usually free
(you just need the monthly promo code which is always floating around this
NG). And I think you're free of sales tax for deliveries to TX.

Just a satisfied customer!

- Michael

I didn't have metalworking stuff at the time, but I used to get tool
steel, tools, etc. from Rex Supply on Harrisburg.

Pete Keillor
Siggy

And, Wholesale Tool is almost directly across the street from Metal
SuperMarkets too so you kill two birds with one stone.

Robert

"LP" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 02:59:51 +0100, Sprydle
wrote:

For stock try

Metal Supermarket
13230 Hempstead Road
Houston, TX 77040
Tel: 713-934-3838
email:

Chuck Sherwood

I have just heard that Harbour Freight has cutting tools

While HF has many good values on power and hand tools, I would avoid their
cutting tools at any cost: they are very poor quality. Even the "cheap"
import cutting tools from other suppliers (like Enco, KBC, J&L, etc.) are
generally of much better quality (and I wouldn't recommend most of those
tools either).

I would split cutting tooling into groups. If you are looking for
HSS lathe toolbit, any import is good for beginners to learn how
to grind. The import HSS lathe toolbits will cut aluminum and brass
well, but they will not hold up to tough steel such as 4140.
Then you need to move into better catagories such as Mo-Max, which
gets pricy, but it will last you a very long time. I think it tough
to beat a Mo-Max cobalt lathe toolbit. Even the guys at NAMES that
were selling T15 toolbits spoke highly of Mo-Max.

If you are looking for center drills, I stick to name brand such
as keo. You won't buy many of them unless you abuse them anyway.

If you are looking for milling cutters, cheap cutters are a gamble.
I have good luck ordering "quality import" cutters from J&L and MSC.
Some of these are actually made in Japan or korea and work well.
Others are made in India or China. I have never had a quality generic
cutter that was made in India. I have seen very good chinese made toolings
and I have had crap too. Recently I tood a gamble and ordered some
#30 arbors and horizontal milling cutters from Enco. They were all
bison brand and good quality.

If you are looking for drill bits, people like the Hertel made
in USA brand from J&L. I also have a set of made in USA from enco
that works well.

chuck

Siggy

Wholesale Tool for your tooling.
http://www.wttool.com/
8100 Pinemont Drive
1-800-231-4585 (Service)
1-713-895-8113 (Fax)

Across the street from them is Metal SuperMarkets for your materials. Get
it all done in one trip.
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/
13230 Hempstead Road
Houston, TX 77040
Phone: (713)934-3838
Fax: (713)934-8889

Robert

"Sprydle" wrote in message

Hi,

does anyone know of a good location in Houston for purchasing HSS
cutting tools for a lathe + milling machine? Things like center drills,
end mills, cut-off blades... that kind of thing?

Also, does anyone know of a good outlet for brass + aluminium stock?

Thanks in advance!

--
Sprydle

Junior Member

Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sherwood

#30 arbors and horizontal milling cutters from Enco. They were all
bison brand and good quality.

If you are looking for drill bits, people like the Hertel made
in USA brand from J&L. I also have a set of made in USA from enco
that works well.

chuck

Thnaks again for all the advice.

I have purchased some metal at Metal Supermarkets, and a lot of stuff from Grainger - Dial Test Indicator, drill-chuck + M2 arbor, digital calipers etc...
It's at 8200 Pinemont, must be right next door to Wholesale Tools....

I've never noticed Wholesale..... I'll look next time I'm over that way, they have everything I can imagine ever needing....

You were right about the cutting tools at Harbor freight - not up to much.