Bruno

Default Info please on Logan 815 lathe

I'm going to be seeing a Logan lathe for sale and want to know
something about them. The seller does not know about lathes, but it
sounds like it's a model 815, 10x24 I think (based on seller's verbal
description).. I read Tony's stuff (UK site). This one has not been
used in over 15 years. It looks decent in the pictures, but that
doesn't mean anything yet.

I'm curious about what collets can work with this. Can I get up to
..750" collet capacity?

Any issues with the gear box? Reliability, etc.

Anything in the headstock spindles I should look for.

What's the basic value? Until I see it, I won't know about tooling, or
actual condition, so I'm trying to find a baseline value. For example,
assuming it's fully funtional, decent but not perfect, has 3 jaw, 4
jaw, TS chucks and basic tool holders, what would it be worth?

There's not a lot of Logans out west here, so I'd be concerned about
parts availibility. I see a lot less Logan stuff than Atlas or South
Bend on eBay.

It sounds like it's a comperable lathe to a South Bend 10K maybe. Is
that correct?

Thanks you all, especially Scott if you see this before I see the
machine (maybe tomorrow evening).
Bruno
larry g

Bruno
I'm assuming that you've joined the lathe group for Logan's, if not go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lathe-list/ and wander around there. Lots of
your questions will be answered. The value of the basic lathe in good
condition with a chuck or two and tailstock, in my opinion, would be in the
$500 range. Start adding for extras like steadies, tapers, collets, and
tooling etc. Start deducting for rust and broken parts. When I owned a
Logan lathe parts come along fairly easily. They are a good basic lathe and
comparable to the Southbend. Most any lathe in this range you will not
loose much money if any as long as it is in fair shape and not abused. Both
of the Logan's that I have owned have been money makers for me but they were
in good shape and working when I sold them.
lg
no neat sig line

"Bruno" wrote in message
[...]

Bruno, you can tell a great deal about the condition of the machine by
how the original paint looks and the wear on the ways. My first lathe
was a Logan, and while it was a marvelous machine, I now own an Atlas
12". That may or may not tell a story, but the fact is that
accessories for the Atlas are much easier and less expensive to obtain
than those for the Logan. From my perspective, their quality is
equivalent.

Beware of lathes having an excessive amount or re-painting on them,
because this is generally an attempt to conceal their age or true
condition. Check the play on the headstock and that on the cutting tool
saddle, because this will give you some insight into the wear on the
machine. Make sure that you listen to the machine run, at high RPM,
with and without the backgears engaged. Check out the travel of the
toolpost when engaged, and that of the crossfeed (if the lathe has
one).

Harry C.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bruno wrote:
I'm going to be seeing a Logan lathe for sale and want to know
something about them. The seller does not know about lathes, but it
sounds like it's a model 815, 10x24 I think (based on seller's verbal
description).. I read Tony's stuff (UK site). This one has not been
used in over 15 years. It looks decent in the pictures, but that
doesn't mean anything yet.

I'm curious about what collets can work with this. Can I get up to
.750" collet capacity?

I believe that all of the 10" Logans used a 1-1/2x8 spindle nose
thread, and that the typical collets for them were the 3-something
series, which I don't think go much over 1/2".

But -- you could get an adjust-tru mount 5C collet adaptor (made
by Bison) for it. (Don't get the plain version -- you want the
Adjust-tru version, so you can tune your collets to run true.) Then,
you are limited only by the spindle bore, which I think would clear your
..750" stock -- but certainly not the 1" stock which a 5C collet will
accept. (And a 5C collet will also accept a 1-1/8" held sort (that is,
it won't go through the spindle, but perhaps about an inch or two into
the collet.

If it were an 11" or larger, it would have a 2-1/4x8 spindle
thread, and could handle a 5C collet directly (with the proper nose
adaptor).

[ ... ]

There's not a lot of Logans out west here, so I'd be concerned about
parts availibility. I see a lot less Logan stuff than Atlas or South
Bend on eBay.

There is always Scott Logan himself. (Of course, that will be
new prices, not used.)

It sounds like it's a comperable lathe to a South Bend 10K maybe. Is
that correct?

That is the lighter of the two 10" ones? I think that will
probably be a reasonable approximation.

Thanks you all, especially Scott if you see this before I see the
machine (maybe tomorrow evening).

I see that you do know about Scott. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Scott S. Logan

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 04:59:19 GMT, Bruno wrote:

I'm going to be seeing a Logan lathe for sale and want to know
something about them. The seller does not know about lathes, but it
sounds like it's a model 815, 10x24 I think (based on seller's verbal
description).. I read Tony's stuff (UK site). This one has not been
used in over 15 years. It looks decent in the pictures, but that
doesn't mean anything yet.

Yes, the Model 815 is a 10" swing, 24" between centers. In the US,
that would be a 10 x 24; in the UK, that's a 5 x 24. Go figure.

I'm curious about what collets can work with this. Can I get up to
.750" collet capacity?

Common collets used with Logan 9" and 10" were the 3-AT (as supplied
by Logan Engineering) or often, 3-C (perhaps a bit more common, as was
used on South Bend 9" and 10-K).

As noted elsewhere in this thread, a front mount 5-C collet closer can
be fitted, to use the full bore of the spindle, but it also extends
farther from the spindle.

Any issues with the gear box? Reliability, etc.

If it was before S/N 46561, it uses a different gearbox, which seems
to have more rugged gears (at least I don't sell as many). This is
not to say the later box is unreliable.

Anything in the headstock spindles I should look for.

This lathe would have a 25/32" through hole, with a #3 Morse taper.
It uses ball bearings on the spindle.

What's the basic value? Until I see it, I won't know about tooling, or
actual condition, so I'm trying to find a baseline value. For example,
assuming it's fully funtional, decent but not perfect, has 3 jaw, 4
jaw, TS chucks and basic tool holders, what would it be worth?

I will let others comment on value, as we do not deal in used
machinery.

There's not a lot of Logans out west here, so I'd be concerned about
parts availibility. I see a lot less Logan stuff than Atlas or South
Bend on eBay.

Actually, there are quite a few Logan Lathes in use in the western US,
but I think more are the larger 12" and especially 14" sizes.

It sounds like it's a comperable lathe to a South Bend 10K maybe. Is
that correct?

Yes, probably the closest comparison.

Thanks you all, especially Scott if you see this before I see the
machine (maybe tomorrow evening).
Bruno

Hope you get your answers before you go. Anything else, give me a
call or email directly.

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/

FS: Logan lathe on original stand 12inches swing ,16inches between centers Al Dykes Metalworking 2 March 21st 05 12:14 PM
Update: lathe chuck info mac davis Woodturning 0 December 17th 04 12:06 AM
Help with collet adapter for Logan lathe? Geo. Anderson Metalworking 8 May 5th 04 11:58 PM
Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:42 PM
FS: Sheldon WWII Army lathe and extras Keith Norman Metalworking 0 March 10th 04 10:47 PM