lew hartswick

Default hammer heads (claw type)

Does anyone Know how the claws are sharpened on a claw hammer?
The heads apear to be a forging with some machining and grinding
done on them. The nail pulling claws have to have sharp edges
and when they get a little dull won't grab the nail. I would
like to re-sharpen them but can't picture any sort of grinder
to do it. Ideas?
...lew...
Anthony

lew hartswick wrote in news:Oj2ve.11061$pa3.6333
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Does anyone Know how the claws are sharpened on a claw hammer?
The heads apear to be a forging with some machining and grinding
done on them. The nail pulling claws have to have sharp edges
and when they get a little dull won't grab the nail. I would
like to re-sharpen them but can't picture any sort of grinder
to do it. Ideas?
...lew...

Ground from the back-side (heel) The V is forged-in. The tips are
sometimes ground from the top-side to match (knife-edge)

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/

Belt sander works just fine.

Tim Williams

"lew hartswick" wrote in message
link.net...
Does anyone Know how the claws are sharpened on a claw hammer?

The claws, and the rest of the head, these days is done automagically with
CNC grinders. I saw video of Stanley's plant, it's pretty fun stuff. They
also have a laser etch for printing. g

If you want advice on sharpening it, just...sharpen it...

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Erik

In article .net,
lew hartswick wrote:

Does anyone Know how the claws are sharpened on a claw hammer?
The heads apear to be a forging with some machining and grinding
done on them. The nail pulling claws have to have sharp edges
and when they get a little dull won't grab the nail. I would
like to re-sharpen them but can't picture any sort of grinder
to do it. Ideas?
...lew...

Kinda on topic... I clamp new claw hammers in the vice and file the
tapered ends of the claws 'even'. I also break the sharp edges off the
outside claw edges. Makes them slide into smaller gaps and the like so
much nicer. They don't have to be, and shouldn't be very sharp or thin.

Same deal with flat bars and the like.

I rarely pull nails anymore but the few times over the years I've run
into Lew's dull pulling edge problem, I've just returned the hammers to
Sears for a Craftsman warranty replacement. Bet I'm on 7th or 8th since
the early 70's now. (Not all were dull pulling edges, a few busted
handles, and a broken claw from a high drop also come to mind)

Erik

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:20:46 GMT, the opaque lew hartswick
spake:

Does anyone Know how the claws are sharpened on a claw hammer?
The heads apear to be a forging with some machining and grinding
done on them. The nail pulling claws have to have sharp edges
and when they get a little dull won't grab the nail. I would
like to re-sharpen them but can't picture any sort of grinder
to do it. Ideas?
...lew...

A Stanley production line was shown on a History Channel episode
about tools and they used bench belt sanders for that, 2-4". It's
fairly soft steel.

If you're smart, you'll buy and use a separate nail puller for that
purpose.

P.S: Tired of that Crapsman drill press yet? I still want it.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
lionslair at consolidated dot net

lew hartswick wrote:

Does anyone Know how the claws are sharpened on a claw hammer?
The heads apear to be a forging with some machining and grinding
done on them. The nail pulling claws have to have sharp edges
and when they get a little dull won't grab the nail. I would
like to re-sharpen them but can't picture any sort of grinder
to do it. Ideas?
...lew...

Since the claw hammer - of many shapes - from tight curved claws to almost
flat ones (framers) - they are ground in an arc across the top. Modified or
post sale grinding should be local on the outside of the claws.

Some claws have a tack claw inside of one claw.

Likely the best concept is a very local grind. That keeps the hammer in
shape for a much longer time.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn