Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Question on water hammer

My reading indicates that water hammer is caused when a water source is
turned OFF.

Last night, we turned ON the dishwasher and there was a loud rumbing
noise. I went downstairs and saw the hot water line (downstairs is a
garage with exposed piping) shaking/vibrating pretty severely. This
stopped whenthe dishwasher started washing. No further problems later
when it entered the rinsing cycles.

Given this was our first experience with what I assume to be water
hammer, can anyone confirm that water hammer may occur if a
faucet/water appliance is turned ON? thanks.

-JC-

Question on water hammer [email protected] Home Ownership 2 March 31st 05 01:40 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM