LP

Default Welding How-to Advice

Ok, long story but I started the current project with a Harbor Freight
Mig welder. 2 days, 10 inches of bead and 8 hours of maintenance
later I got ****ed and visited the local welding emporium, where they
fixed me up with a Lincoln SP-135+ and a cart for a good price.

Like night and day. Lincoln units are highly recommended for those
considering buying. Harbor Freight units are not.

Now to the sought-for advice: The situation is a lot of joints
involving a vertical piece sitting on a horizontal piece. It seems
that when I strike the arc, it will jump to either the horizontal
surface, or the vertical surface, but not both, so running the puddle
in the corner where the two meet is not possible.

I'm no welder by any means. Just a home hack. But I've done a little
stick welding and never encountered this problem.

I've been dealing with it by running one bead on each surface as close
to the corner as I can get it, and then running a third bead on top of
those to tie it all together.

Is this anywhere close to correct, or normal?

If it matters I'm using .024 wire and 75% argon, on the advice of the
local shop.

The project is a table, using 2-1/2" square 1/8" wall steel tube for
frame and legs. 2-1/2" is probably overkill for the purpose (table
saw outfeed) but its what I had in the pile, for free, so I'm using
it.

TIA

ground both pieces *very* well, grind them,
make sure ground clamp is clean..

I have run into situations where you had
to weld a bead on each surface, and one
final connecting bead.

Can you post pics of your setup?

Rich

Don Foreman

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:55:46 -0400, LP
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like arc blow; the path of the arc is influenced by local
magnetic fields. Try moving the ground clamp to various locations to
change the current distribution in the workpieces. I have not had
this problem with my similar Lincoln.

Don Foreman

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:45:06 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Sounds like arc blow; the path of the arc is influenced by local
magnetic fields. Try moving the ground clamp to various locations to
change the current distribution in the workpieces. I have not had
this problem with my similar Lincoln.

Afterthought: you really shouldn't have much arclength with MIG at
that current level. Try going to .030 wire. Maybe your smaller wire
is burning back too far.

Nick Müller

LP wrote:

If it matters I'm using .024 wire and 75% argon, on the advice of the
local shop.

0,8mm would be a bit better, but it should work.

1/8" wall steel tube for

what amperage (well I know, MAG is with voltage) do you use? Not
connecting to both pieces sounds like not enough current. Do the fillets
look like a worm?
At what distance (nozzle / workpiece) do you hold the nozzle?

Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

LP

wrote:

Sounds like arc blow; the path of the arc is influenced by local
magnetic fields. Try moving the ground clamp to various locations to
change the current distribution in the workpieces. I have not had
this problem with my similar Lincoln.

Afterthought: you really shouldn't have much arclength with MIG at
that current level. Try going to .030 wire. Maybe your smaller wire
is burning back too far.

Ok I'll try that working on the ground location. The wire burning
back also sounds like a possibility altho I've had no problem keeping
the arc about 3/8" out from the tip as recommended by the book.
I'll have to make a trip to the welding place to get some .030 wire
but I'll do it and let ya know how it works out.
SteveB

"LP" wrote in message
Ok, long story but I started the current project with a Harbor Freight
Mig welder. 2 days, 10 inches of bead and 8 hours of maintenance
later I got ****ed and visited the local welding emporium, where they
fixed me up with a Lincoln SP-135+ and a cart for a good price.

Congratulations on getting a Lincoln. The 135 is an outstanding machine
WITHIN ITS LIMITATIONS. (explanation to follow)

HF units are ****.

Now to the sought-for advice: The situation is a lot of joints
involving a vertical piece sitting on a horizontal piece. It seems
that when I strike the arc, it will jump to either the horizontal
surface, or the vertical surface, but not both, so running the puddle
in the corner where the two meet is not possible.

What you need to do is aim the wire to the piece that is horizontal. Have
the heat turned up high. Pause to develop a puddle. Let the puddle flow
over to the vertical piece. There is a world of difference between pulling
the wire and pushing it. There is also a world of difference in the angle
at which you attack the metal.

Now, for what I stated above. Turn up the heat. Use bigger wire. BUT,
then you approach the limitations of your machine, which is the duty cycle.
That is how much welding you can do before you have to let the thing cool
off. Some are very low, like 20%, meaning you have to let it cool down four
times as long as you weld.

I'm no welder by any means. Just a home hack. But I've done a little
stick welding and never encountered this problem.

I've been dealing with it by running one bead on each surface as close
to the corner as I can get it, and then running a third bead on top of
those to tie it all together.

You may get "cold lap" which is one layer on each other, and not fused
together. You need to turn up the heat and get bigger wire, and watch for
it to dig a crater, and then fill it up, letting it overflow, and being
pushed towards the vertical piece.

Is this anywhere close to correct, or normal?

If it matters I'm using .024 wire and 75% argon, on the advice of the
local shop.

It matters big time. Use .030 wire.

The project is a table, using 2-1/2" square 1/8" wall steel tube for
frame and legs. 2-1/2" is probably overkill for the purpose (table
saw outfeed) but its what I had in the pile, for free, so I'm using
it.

TIA

You can safely weld this metal with bigger wire, higher heat, higher wire
speed, and the "wash" technique. Just weld a bit, and let your machine cool
off. It is good anyway to do intermittent welds to keep down the
distortion. Do circles to get a bigger puddle, and watch that your heat is
high enough that you can see it slightly eat the base metal away at the
front of the crucible.

Steve, a weldor since 1974, 6 topside certs, and underwater welding and
cutting experience, former State of Nevada Licensed Steel Erection
Contractor

LP

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:18:56 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"LP" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks Steve. General concensus is i need bigger wire and Im off
tomorrow to make that purchase. More heat is available and I just
have to play with it to find what works.

At what gage or thickness would you use the 024 over the 030? I've
got two spools of this stuff and I'd hate to think its useless
Anthony

LP wrote in
:

At what gage or thickness would you use the 024 over the 030? I've
got two spools of this stuff and I'd hate to think its useless

Should be good for thin sheetmetal work where you do not need, nor want a
lot of heat, and you do not have large gaps, nor want a large bead.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
Keith Marshall

Now to the sought-for advice: The situation is a lot of joints
involving a vertical piece sitting on a horizontal piece. It seems
that when I strike the arc, it will jump to either the horizontal
surface, or the vertical surface, but not both, so running the puddle
in the corner where the two meet is not possible.

Two things come to mind in addition to suggestions by others:

1) Are you using magnets to hold the work? They cause the arc to chase or
run from the magnetic field depending on polarity. You say you've stick
welded and didn't have the same type of problem but often the home hobbiest
has only an AC stick welder and you don't have the problem with AC.

2) You mentioned in one post that you're using a fan to blow away the fumes
from welding galvanized metal. That's a good idea but you need to turn up
your shielding has and if the fan's strong you may still blow it all away or
at least enough to screw up your weld.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Gunner

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 03:19:45 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

1) Are you using magnets to hold the work? They cause the arc to chase or
run from the magnetic field depending on polarity. You say you've stick
welded and didn't have the same type of problem but often the home hobbiest
has only an AC stick welder and you don't have the problem with AC.

I was doing just that once, using the larger magnets and I thought Id
blown up the welder as the arc was weird as hell and all over the
place.

I felt really stupid when the sudden dawning realization of what was
causing it crashed into my tiny lil brain.

Shrug

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
SteveB

"LP" wrote

At what gage or thickness would you use the 024 over the 030? I've
got two spools of this stuff and I'd hate to think its useless

I, personally, like to use .030 most all the time. Makes it easier than
changing wires for different projects. If all you are going to be doing is
..065 tubing, or thin stuff, .024 will work. I think the cutoff point will
be .125 thick. Once you get the hang of it, you can run your .024 hotter.

Steve

Nick Müller

LP wrote:

If I go much higher or lower I cant
seem to maintain a consistent arc.

If you go up with the setting, does the wire feed also increase
automaticly? I _guess_ no.
Go up with the voltage and play with wire feed. There is really nothing
like "nonconsistent arc with too much current". Disregarding that you
will burn holes. :-)

Nozzle to workpiece is as close to
3/8" as I can hold it.

10 times the wire diameter is 'bout right. So this is OK.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
todays SPAMfeed:

Nick Müller

LP wrote:

I just finished running some test beads. Ground clamp is clean, metal
is clean, but 2nd piece wasnt clamped to first, just sitting there.

That's OK. I never connected the second piece to ground. If it is
halfway clean, it will have contact. After the first little weld,
contact is perfect.

Will re-try tomorrow with your suggestions and see what happens.

It should work with the thin wire too. But your diameter is more for
body work.

Did i mention this stuff is galvanized?

No!

I've been grinding it off
some joints, not on others, result seems to be the same either way.

Grind it off on all. The zinc is nasty healthwise and prevents good
joints.

Yep I've got a big ol' 30" floor fan running air across the area where
I'm working.

don't blow away the gas! Try it without fan.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
todays SPAMfeed:

LP

wrote:

Now to the sought-for advice: The situation is a lot of joints
involving a vertical piece sitting on a horizontal piece. It seems
that when I strike the arc, it will jump to either the horizontal
surface, or the vertical surface, but not both, so running the puddle
in the corner where the two meet is not possible.

Two things come to mind in addition to suggestions by others:

1) Are you using magnets to hold the work? They cause the arc to chase or
run from the magnetic field depending on polarity. You say you've stick
welded and didn't have the same type of problem but often the home hobbiest
has only an AC stick welder and you don't have the problem with AC.

No magnets but you're right about the AC stick welder. Thats exactly
what it was.

2) You mentioned in one post that you're using a fan to blow away the fumes
from welding galvanized metal. That's a good idea but you need to turn up
your shielding has and if the fan's strong you may still blow it all away or
at least enough to screw up your weld.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Nick Müller

LP wrote:

Not automatic but increased voltage/feed makes sense after I think
about it for a bit.

I mean, if you go up with the voltage, do you have to readjust feed
(more than just a tad)?
Are you also aware, that 0,6mm wire needs _double_ the feed rate than a
0,8mm wire? Why? the sectional area of 0,6mm is about half of 0,8mm. to
get the same "pound per minute of wire", it takes double the feed rate.

I'm still convinced, that you will get it working if you play with the
feed. A 0,6mm wire is not so common. Most MAGs are set for 0,8 or 1,0mm
wire. You have to adjust (and should be able).

Also, could you describe how the arc looks? Is it long (clearly above
2mm)?
How does it sound? A hard, more _fast_ hammering sound, or buzzing and
irregular?
Does the wire get frequently stuck in the wire-nozzle?

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
todays SPAMfeed:

Nick Müller

LP wrote:

I don't think its bothering the gas flow
but will certainly make sure of that.

But you already know how a weld without gas looks like. :-))
If you don't have enough gas, you will have tiny bubbles in the weld.
Same as with dirt (grease, oil, etc.).

Get rid of the zinc until you know that you can weld and how to set up
your MAG. You need a lot of heat to vaporize that sh*t and it makes
controlling the puddle _much_ harder.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
todays SPAMfeed:

Bob Engelhardt

I can't help with welding details, but you could work around it by just
welding the *sides* of the joints. I.e., where both surfaces are in the
same plane. It would be plenty strong enough for a table. Bob

LP

Thanks to all who responded to my original post.

The solution proved to be going to the larger .030 wire, cranking the
voltage up a lot and the feed just a bit.

I'm now able to run the bead in the corner of the joint where it
belongs and I'm much more confident about the whole thing.

Barely 36 hours since my first post and not only is the problem solved
but I picked up a lot of useful info in the bargain.

Again, thanks a million. You're a good group!

Nick Müller

LP wrote:

The solution proved to be going to the larger .030 wire, cranking the
voltage up a lot and the feed just a bit.

Just out of curiosity:
If you about double the feed rate and leave the voltage, can you weld
with the thinner (0,6mm) wire? I bet yes!
OK, you're too lazy to change the coil... :-))

Oh!! When you switched from the 0,6mm wire to the 0,8mm wire, did you
also change the wire jet? *) If not, the shop sold the wrong nozzle/jet
_and_ wasn't very good in selling you the 0,6mm wire.

*) I don't know how you call it. It's the copper jet where the wire is
coming out.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
todays SPAMfeed:

Nick Müller

LP wrote:

I don't want to be boaring. If you're fed up with my questions and
explanations, simply stop answering. I won't mind.

I found that with increased feed I couldnt maintain that nice sizzling
arc,

That nice sizzling sound is a spray arc. You normaly get that when the
current ist above 200 Amps (with a 0,8mm wire). That implies that the
wall thickness should be above 5mm or so. Yours is lower, so current (eg
voltage) is too high. You can't make longer fillets without melting your
workpiece to one lump. I guess you made just short welds. Right?

If you keep with the sizzling sound with the lower feed rate, the arc
starts directly at the wire jet and it will burn it quite fast, or the
wire will get stuck. I would say, that your setup still isn't right.

as if the wire couldnt melt fast enough to get out of its own
way.

This is a short-circuit arc. It has the hammering sound. Quite regular,
and quite noisy. You have the short-circuit-arc with lower thicknesses,
like the one you were talking about (3mm, IIRc).

But I have to remember that I'm dealing with "Welding For Real
Dummies" here and technique may have a LOT to do with it.

It is dammned interesting to understand the physics behind MIG/MAG
welding. Buy a good, more theoretical book and try to understand it. It
helps _a_ _lot_ to correct errors!

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
todays SPAMfeed:

SteveB

"LP" wrote

I found that with increased feed I couldnt maintain that nice sizzling
arc, as if the wire couldnt melt fast enough to get out of its own
way. But I have to remember that I'm dealing with "Welding For Real
Dummies" here and technique may have a LOT to do with it.

Do this just for giggles and grins. It is an important lesson.

Set your heat control at the medium position. Weld a little there and
notice the sound. Now, try welding at different speeds. You will notice
at slower speeds that the molten wire builds up a BB on the end, then when
it gets big enough, will transfer to the workpiece. It has a splut splut
sound. When it is running at the correct speed, you have the spray, and all
you see is a nice arc. Sounds like a nice sizzle. At higher speed, you
will see the wire going into the puddle, and really the arc will be somewhat
buried. The sizzling sound will be less. If the speed is high enough you
will actually feel the wire hitting the base metal.

Grasshoppa, you ask the purpose of this lesson............

So that you understand the different types of transfer processes, and their
sounds. You will use the slower wire speeds to weld thin stuff, and the
faster ones when you want to actually dig into the base metal so that you
get more penetration and fusion. After a while, you will be able to just
listen and know if your wirespeed is right. You can tell if the heat is
right by looking at the shape of your finished bead. Watch the wire as you
weld. That will tell you a lot about your speed....... if it is too slow or
too fast.

Now, for the last lesson. If you can hear it very very clearly, you are
doing something WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. You are not wearing ear protection.
You don't need it because of the sound levels, but to protect you from the
little molten BBs. Watch someone else MIG weld. Now look at all those
little red BBs flying all over. It's pretty dramatic when you watch someone
else do it. One of those in your ear can mess up the rest of your life. If
you ever do get one in there and it only singes some hair and melts some
wax, it will scare you pretty good. Your eardrum is about as thick and
tough as a piece of waxed paper. Behind that is all sorts of things that
get messed up when the seal of your eardrum is broken. I love watching
those blondes with big hair weld on TV. They'd be bald in a week if they
were in any shop I've worked in.

Wear ear protection. I like the spring type because they are easy to take
on and off. I think that this is the most common safety violation by
welders. If you need to listen to the weld, like to check your wirespeed or
to listen to a keyhole on an open root, do so for only a short time. I have
welded for thirty years. I once knew a guy that got a bb in his eardrum.
His inner ear got infected. They did surgery, and the side of his head was
noticeably a different shape from the other. He never welded again. He was
never the same again. Point is, it DOES happen, even to very experienced
people.

Play with your machine. There's not a lot you can do to mess it up. Get so
you are familiar with it, and understand it inside and out.

And, BTW, there are guides in most machines that will give you the proper
heat and wirespeed settings for a particular thickness.

Steve

LP

Having become caught up in the hustle and bustle of visits from
out-of-towners, there were several responses to my original post to
which I did not respond.

This wasn't rudeness on my part. It was just being very busy and
being away from home a lot.

So to all who were kind enough to reply I extend a very big Thank You.
All of you offered some very good advice and got my mind running in
the right direction. I'm now confident that with a bit of practice
I'll be quite successful.