Don Lancaster

Default Any parts of a LASERJET 5Si that can be salvaged?

Ignoramus26555 wrote:
At my work, they are throwing away a HP LaserJet 5SI printer. I am
thinking that perhaps there is something valuable here, like stepper
motors or whatever that I can salvage for my "projects". Any
suggestions?

The line cord.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Sam Goldwasser

Ignoramus26555 writes:

At my work, they are throwing away a HP LaserJet 5SI printer. I am
thinking that perhaps there is something valuable here, like stepper
motors or whatever that I can salvage for my "projects". Any
suggestions?

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/gadget.htm#gadprn

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Roger Haar

Hi,
There should be a number of precision shafts,
some with rubber coatings. But it all depends on
what you do and what you need.

Thanks
Roger Haar

Ignoramus26555 wrote:
At my work, they are throwing away a HP LaserJet 5SI printer. I am
thinking that perhaps there is something valuable here, like stepper
motors or whatever that I can salvage for my "projects". Any
suggestions?

Given what they get for refurb and pulled parts for these printers, a
computer parts recycler would probably pay a not inconsiderable amount
for the carcase, even if it seemed totally dead. Some places, tossing
computer parts in the trash will get you in legal trouble. I've never
actually tossed an HP laser printer, they've always been revivable with
a little effort. The paper trays alone are worth a bunch.

For parts of interest, you've got a laser in there, some kind of
scanning mirror and motor, rudimentary optics, gears and bearings, a
power supply with semi-HV output. The sum of the individual parts and
assemblies is far more than the whole works costs.

Stan

Ron Bean

Ignoramus26555 writes:

At my work, they are throwing away a HP LaserJet 5SI printer. I am
thinking that perhaps there is something valuable here, like stepper
motors or whatever that I can salvage for my "projects". Any
suggestions?

Why are they throwing it away? If it's repairable, it's probably
worth more as a printer than as anything else.

If it's a paper jam problem, see this link:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/12

Bob May

The whole printer itself, if in working condition, is quite valuable. I'd
grab the fusor assy. from a few just for insurance along with the ozone
filter and then a couple of full working units for home. Also, any toner
cartriges are going home too.
I've got several of the older LJ2/3 units and they have been very good
workhorses.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

BrotherBart

At my work, they are throwing away a HP LaserJet 5SI printer. I am
thinking that perhaps there is something valuable here, like stepper
motors or whatever that I can salvage for my "projects". Any
suggestions?

We hauled five of them to the landfill a while back and had to pay for them
to take the heavy suckers. All were working perfectly.

NSM

"BrotherBart" wrote in message
At my work, they are throwing away a HP LaserJet 5SI printer. I am
thinking that perhaps there is something valuable here, like stepper
motors or whatever that I can salvage for my "projects". Any
suggestions?

We hauled five of them to the landfill a while back and had to pay for

them
to take the heavy suckers. All were working perfectly.

Your local thrift will often take these if working.

http://FreeCycle.org is another good option.

Do pass the word around about http://freecycle.org/

"The worldwide Freecycle™ Network is made up of many individual groups
across the globe. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (&
getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is run by a
local volunteer moderator (them's good people). ...

One main rule: Everything posted must be free, legal, and appropriate for
all ages. ... "

Ace

I didn't bother to ask the question you are asking. I simply tore down a
couple of obsolete printers
and kept what looked interesting.

When a third printer came along, I simply trashed it, along with most of the
parts that looked "interesting"
from the first two printers.

Hope this helps,
Ace
"Ignoramus26555" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:26:14 -0700, Roger Haar
wrote:
Hi,
There should be a number of precision shafts,
some with rubber coatings. But it all depends on
what you do and what you need.

I have no idea what I need. With the military surplus stuff that I
throw away, my standard procedure is to take out all motors and screws
and switches and large semiconductor devices. Given the excellent
webpage suggested by someone else, there is little truly worthwhile
stuff in that printer.

Thanks
Roger Haar

Ignoramus26555 wrote:

At my work, they are throwing away a HP LaserJet 5SI printer. I am
thinking that perhaps there is something valuable here, like stepper
motors or whatever that I can salvage for my "projects". Any
suggestions?

BrotherBart

Your local thrift will often take these if working.

They just groaned. Take a couple of friends and lift a 5si sometime. Not to
mention that the cost of expendables for them is horrendous.

Clint Sharp

In message , Ignoramus26555
writes
At my work, they are throwing away a HP LaserJet 5SI printer. I am
thinking that perhaps there is something valuable here, like stepper
motors or whatever that I can salvage for my "projects". Any
suggestions?

Probably a couple of nice steppers, if it's got a duplex unit maybe a
couple more, loads of gearwheels, a few solenoids maybe a synchronous
belt and associated pulleys, the drive electronics for said steppers and
solenoids and my favourite bit, a laser scanner assembly with some nice
quality mirrors, lenses and a nice rotating mirror (could be hexagonal,
octagonal or a twin faced unit) The PSU's (HV and DC) *might* be useful
to you but I'd be surprised.
--
Clint Sharp

Don Lancaster

BrotherBart wrote:
Your local thrift will often take these if working.

They just groaned. Take a couple of friends and lift a 5si sometime. Not to
mention that the cost of expendables for them is horrendous.

A 5SIMX with PostScript, duplexer, and a hard drive remains an excellent
BOD machine.

The regular 5Si ain't all that great.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Don Lancaster wrote:

A 5SIMX with PostScript, duplexer, and a hard drive remains an
excellent BOD machine.

We find that the old 4100 and 4200 series printers are currently the best HP
printers. The 5SSi is nothing more than a dinosaur that takes up too much
space. Make an attempt to find a sucker locally for $100 cash or toss it.

Rita

Don Lancaster

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Don Lancaster wrote:

A 5SIMX with PostScript, duplexer, and a hard drive remains an
excellent BOD machine.

We find that the old 4100 and 4200 series printers are currently the best HP
printers. The 5SSi is nothing more than a dinosaur that takes up too much
space. Make an attempt to find a sucker locally for $100 cash or toss it.

Rita

The story changes wildly if you go over 150,000 pages per month.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com

Frank J Warner

In article
, Ace
wrote:

I didn't bother to ask the question you are asking. I simply tore down a
couple of obsolete printers
and kept what looked interesting.

When a third printer came along, I simply trashed it, along with most of the
parts that looked "interesting"
from the first two printers.

That's the real answer.

I still have a cigar box of parts from an old Wang word processor circa
1967 laying around here somewhere. Lots of interesting stuff in there.
I kept most of it in bigger boxes that gradually got thrown out until
all I have left is the cigar box, mostly odd springs and metal screws.

I did not use a single part from that Wang in oll the time I kept them.
Not a spring, not a screw, not a shaft or a motor or a washer.

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Don Lancaster wrote:

The story changes wildly if you go over 150,000 pages per month.

Yep, they are good for that, but you'll be very hard pressed to find one
that has a total page count of over 150,000. Anybody that's going to be
printing a lot of pages would have used a LaserJet 4. I've had some that
exceeded 400,000 total pages. The LaserJet 4 was the only really reliable
and bulletproof printer HP ever made. Slow as cat ****, but indestructible.

Rita

Kurt

In article ,
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

Don Lancaster wrote:

The story changes wildly if you go over 150,000 pages per month.

Yep, they are good for that, but you'll be very hard pressed to find one
that has a total page count of over 150,000. Anybody that's going to be
printing a lot of pages would have used a LaserJet 4. I've had some that
exceeded 400,000 total pages. The LaserJet 4 was the only really reliable
and bulletproof printer HP ever made. Slow as cat ****, but indestructible.

Rita

I use a 6MP daily (graphic design business). I went from a 4 to 6. Wish
printers were as bulletrpoof as these. Can't ever see getting rid of it
until it somehow fails.

JohnM

Frank J Warner wrote:

That's the real answer.

I still have a cigar box of parts from an old Wang word processor circa
1967 laying around here somewhere. Lots of interesting stuff in there.
I kept most of it in bigger boxes that gradually got thrown out until
all I have left is the cigar box, mostly odd springs and metal screws.

I did not use a single part from that Wang in oll the time I kept them.
Not a spring, not a screw, not a shaft or a motor or a washer.

-Frank

That's often my experience with some of the junk I save.. but ain't it
great when you happen to have just the odd thing you need?

John
LPV

JohnM wrote:

That's often my experience with some of the junk I save.. but ain't it
great when you happen to have just the odd thing you need?

My experience is that I don't need any of the junk I've saved until the day
after I've thrown it out.

Loren

Too_Many_Tools

Good article...thanks for posting it.

A related question for the group...what kinds of electronic "trash" IS
worth disassembling and keeping?

TMT

Don Lancaster

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Good article...thanks for posting it.

A related question for the group...what kinds of electronic "trash" IS
worth disassembling and keeping?

TMT

See the many tutorials on my website.
Especially http://www.tinaja.com/glib/refurblg.pdf

Pen plotters are useless. Pen plotter motors are useless.
But heh heh heh laser lightshow galvos fly on outta here.

Relay racks are unsellable at any price.
But heh heh heh their drawer sliders resell for sixty bucks a pair.

Water soluble swimsuits are very much in demand by quilters and felters.
Astronomers snarf up voting booths as fast as you can offer them.

Precision ways and sliders sell for outrageously high prices.As does
robotics anything.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
James Sweet

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
Good article...thanks for posting it.

A related question for the group...what kinds of electronic "trash" IS
worth disassembling and keeping?

Monitors and TV's typically have a good assortment of power semiconductors,
not to mention all sorts of capacitors and other parts. I tend to pull the
boards out of anything I scrap and salvage parts from them as needed.

Koz

Don Lancaster wrote:

The story changes wildly if you go over 150,000 pages per month.

Yep, they are good for that, but you'll be very hard pressed to find one
that has a total page count of over 150,000. Anybody that's going to be
printing a lot of pages would have used a LaserJet 4. I've had some that
exceeded 400,000 total pages. The LaserJet 4 was the only really reliable
and bulletproof printer HP ever made. Slow as cat ****, but indestructible.

Rita

I use a 6MP daily (graphic design business). I went from a 4 to 6. Wish
printers were as bulletrpoof as these. Can't ever see getting rid of it
until it somehow fails.

Using a 6 mp here too. Getting on 8 or 10 years old and still going
strong. Also, the toner seems to last forever and the drum rarely needs
replacing. FAR better than some other printers around here that scream
for a new drum and toner what seems like every other week. I hadn't
thought about it but I should search for another one used as this has
been about the only printer that I feel has given me more than my
money's worth over the years.

A note on the original post about salvaging parts from old
printers...Many years ago when electronic calculators suddenly became
affordable, Boeing Surplus started selling the old monster mechanical
calculators for a buck a piece. I was about 12 at the time and a buck
for one of those 80 pound boat anchors kept me busy for a couple of
weeks after school disassembling and scrounging cool parts. I learned
more about assemblymethods and general mechanical stuff from that than
just about any other source.

I know that old printers/copiers are cheap as dirt (free often) and can
be used the same way, although they don't have quite as many parts as
those old calculators. I've had my daughter take apart a couple of
similar things as a learning experience (help dad by salvaging parts).
Any other ideas on cheap mechanical junk that is readily available and
may be a great learning experience for the mechanical kid to monkey
around with?

Koz

Angrie.Woman

Koz wrote:

I know that old printers/copiers are cheap as dirt (free often) and can
be used the same way, although they don't have quite as many parts as
those old calculators. I've had my daughter take apart a couple of
similar things as a learning experience (help dad by salvaging parts).
Any other ideas on cheap mechanical junk that is readily available and
may be a great learning experience for the mechanical kid to monkey
around with?

Koz

Anything. My #1 son is a "take apart junkie." he takes his wagon out
bright and early every monday morning to find stuff to bring home and
dismantle. We've done toasters, VCR's, tape recorders, toys - all kinds
of stuff. Last week we did an aqua-pic and a hose sprayer that had an
adjustable flow thingy. A 35mm camera was cool - about a gazillion parts
crammed into a 3 x 5" box. Amazing to me, who can't seem to even fit all
our clothes into the closet.

If you've got no pride, just pick up anything but a TV (unless you know
how to discharge the cap) from the garbage and give it a go.

NSM

"Angrie.Woman" wrote in message
m...

If you've got no pride, just pick up anything but a TV (unless you know
how to discharge the cap) from the garbage and give it a go.

Any TV that's been sitting for a week won't have a charge in it.

Rita Ä Berkowitz

"NSM" wrote in message...

Any TV that's been sitting for a week won't have a charge in it.

BULL****! Put your tongue on the HV lead of the flyback transformer six
months after you unplugged it and you'll probably **** all over yourself if
you are lucky..

Rita

JohnM

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
"NSM" wrote in message...

Any TV that's been sitting for a week won't have a charge in it.

BULL****! Put your tongue on the HV lead of the flyback transformer six
months after you unplugged it and you'll probably **** all over yourself if
you are lucky..

Rita

I've never considered ****ing all over myself to be a lucky thing..
Angrie.Woman

JohnM wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

"NSM" wrote in message...

Any TV that's been sitting for a week won't have a charge in it.

BULL****! Put your tongue on the HV lead of the flyback transformer six
months after you unplugged it and you'll probably **** all over
yourself if
you are lucky..

Rita

I've never considered ****ing all over myself to be a lucky thing..

I think the alternative is having your heart stop from the shock.

NSM

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
"NSM" wrote in message...

Any TV that's been sitting for a week won't have a charge in it.

BULL****! Put your tongue on the HV lead of the flyback transformer six
months after you unplugged it and you'll probably **** all over yourself

if
you are lucky..

Nonsense. It's not the lead that's dangerous, it's the tube which might have
a charge although that's most unlikely. A quick whack with a clip lead will
empty that. 1 minute after, maybe. 6 months, no way.

In sci.electronics.repair NSM wrote:
Nonsense. It's not the lead that's dangerous, it's the tube which might have
a charge although that's most unlikely. A quick whack with a clip lead will
empty that. 1 minute after, maybe. 6 months, no way.

Depends mostly on the quality of the rectifier, and on whether there are
any bleeding resistors or voltage dividers. Give a vacuum type HV
rectifier and no bleeding resistors it should be easily possible that a
picture tube retains high voltage for weeks.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
JohnM

Angrie.Woman wrote:
JohnM wrote:

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

"NSM" wrote in message...

Any TV that's been sitting for a week won't have a charge in it.

BULL****! Put your tongue on the HV lead of the flyback transformer six
months after you unplugged it and you'll probably **** all over
yourself if
you are lucky..

Rita

I've never considered ****ing all over myself to be a lucky thing..

I think the alternative is having your heart stop from the shock.

How about if I just don't put my tongue on electrical stuff, then I
won't have to be thankful for ****ing myself;-)

I think I just don't ever want to be thankful for that..

John
Christopher Tidy

JohnM wrote:

I've never considered ****ing all over myself to be a lucky thing..

I think the alternative is having your heart stop from the shock.

How about if I just don't put my tongue on electrical stuff, then I
won't have to be thankful for ****ing myself;-)

I think I just don't ever want to be thankful for that..

A while back I read in a tabloid about a man who had a nasty accident
after he left a bar drunken in the early hours. He was walking home with
a few mates when he needed to relieve himself. His mates dared him to
pee off the parapet of a railway bridge, which he did. Apparently his
stream of urine hit the 25 kV overhead wire which supplied the trains,
and he had a difficult job explaining the situation to a doctor at the
hospital when he came to.

Chris

Too_Many_Tools

Your son is a very lucky kid to have a parent that allows and
encourages self discovery.

My parents had to hide the screwdrivers from me...nothing was safe from
my curious mind.

I predict that your son has a great future and an interesting life
ahead of him.

If I were his parent, I would be very proud of him.

Good luck with the great adventure of parenting.

TMT

BrotherBart

If you've got no pride, just pick up anything but a TV (unless you know
how to discharge the cap) from the garbage and give it a go.

When I was five years old my dad was less than impressed when I took his
pocket watch apart.

Angrie.Woman

BrotherBart wrote:
If you've got no pride, just pick up anything but a TV (unless you know
how to discharge the cap) from the garbage and give it a go.

When I was five years old my dad was less than impressed when I took his
pocket watch apart.

And just think what it would go for on eBay today!

NSM

"JohnM" wrote in message

How about if I just don't put my tongue on electrical stuff, then I
won't have to be thankful for ****ing myself;-)

One of my favorite episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies was Jethro sticking
his tongue into the light socket to show Ellie May "What the big old dumb
bear" would do.

NSM

"Angrie.Woman" wrote in message

Sigh. And since my original post was that a child should not take apart
a TV unless a grown-up knows how to discharge the thing that holds the
charge...it is likely we're all in agreement essentially.

That's the LEAST of your worries. Ever seen a picture tube implosion?

James Sweet

"NSM" wrote in message...

Any TV that's been sitting for a week won't have a charge in it.

BULL****! Put your tongue on the HV lead of the flyback transformer six
months after you unplugged it and you'll probably **** all over yourself

if
you are lucky..

I'd do it, I pretty regularly touch flyback HV leads, there's nothing in the
flyback that can store a charge, the tube itself does that. A B&W monitor or
a vacuum tube TV chassis can hold a charge for quite some time, but a solid
state color set has a focus divider that'll discharge the HV within minutes.
It's still always wise to ground the anode just in case though.