Grady

Default fitting hydraulic cyl to 4x6 saw

I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill. Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?

Thanks all

Grant Erwin

Grady wrote:
I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill. Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?

My saw is a bit bigger, but I got my cylinder there, new. It was the smallest of
one of the new series. See http://www.tinyisland.com/images/downfeed.pdf to see
how it went in.

Grant
Tom

Grady wrote:

I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill. Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?

Thanks all

Look for a pneumatic cylinder, more compact and using
oil in them is not a problem. A metering needle valve is
easily plumbed in.

Tom
MOP CAP

In article Mv4ue.1132$Zt.625@okepread05, Grady wrote:

I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill. Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?

Thanks all

Go to: www.frugalmachinist.com/bandsaw.html

It has an article on just that. It uses a cylinder from Surplus center.

Chuck P.
sleykin

You want one of these Item# 1-1554

Our Price $8.99

From surplus center adjustable gas spring.

And one of these flow control valves. Item# 20-1149

Our Price $7.99

I put them on mine and it works great. The flow control lets you lift
the
saw without changing the spring setting. Fast up slow down.
Someplace in the dropbox I put some pictures of it about 5 years ago.
Glenn

Studly Hungwell

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:04:57 -0500, Grady wrote:

I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked
the surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill.
Anyone got any pointers as to where to look?

Thanks all

Look for an air cylinder. They work just dandy for this, when filled with
ooil

Gunner

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:04:57 -0500, "Grady" wrote:

I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill. Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?

Thanks all

Look for an air cylinder. They work just hunky dory filled with ATF.
Thats whats on my Emerson bandsaw, apparently since it was built.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
~Roy~

Unfortunately Surplus Center and American Scientific, both of whom
used to have tons of those adjustable cylinders on hand are now
totally sold out.....and neither of the places seem like they are
going to be getting any more in.

I modified a saw for a friend and used a metering valve with an air
cylinder, and used DOT type / sized air lines to plumb it. I filled
it with baby oil and it works just fine. Look for a Bimba brand or
other pneumatic cylinder. I am not sure what type of seals the various
pneumatic cylinders have, but I found out from personal experieince
regular petroleum based fluids will eact seals out of HOnda rack and
pinion units, but baby oil worked fine, so that ws my decision to go
with baby oil........

Fortunately pneumatic cylinders are smaller, and in good supply both
used and new, and not expensive...not as cheap as those surplus
cylinders but with in reason.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:04:57 -0500, "Grady" wrote:

===I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
===replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked the
===surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill. Anyone
===got any pointers as to where to look?
===
===Thanks all
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Dave

sleykin wrote:
You want one of these Item# 1-1554

Our Price $8.99

From surplus center adjustable gas spring.

And one of these flow control valves. Item# 20-1149

Our Price $7.99

I put them on mine and it works great. The flow control
lets you lift the saw without changing the spring setting.
Fast up slow down. Someplace in the dropbox I put some
pictures of it about 5 years ago.
Glenn

And you add fluid to this 1-1554 gas cylinder?

I see someone selling a saw cylinder on Ebay for the rather rich price
of $90 & S/H.

Dave

Grady wrote:
I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw.
[...]

Can anyone say this is a significant improvement? To me it seems a bit
odd. What should matter is limiting the maximum force on the blade. A
spring system adjusts the force applied to the blade. A hydraulic
system simply lowers the blade at a defined rate with no relation to
the blade pressure. How do you tell if the needle valve / rate of
descent is adjusted correctly?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Grady wrote:
I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw.
[...]

Can anyone say this is a significant improvement? To me it seems a bit
odd. What should matter is limiting the maximum force on the blade. A
spring system adjusts the force applied to the blade. A hydraulic
system simply lowers the blade at a defined rate with no relation to
the blade pressure. How do you tell if the needle valve / rate of
descent is adjusted correctly?

The hydraulic lowering provides damping against "bounce", and prevents the
saw from hogging in thin materials. It's an adjuct to spring or gravity
feed, not a replacement.

With thicker material, the cut rate limits the drop rate. With thin
material, the cylinder limits the rate. You separately adjust feed rate and
weight on the blade to accommodate the material and blade pitch/speed.

LLoyd

Grant Erwin

Dave wrote:

Can anyone say this is a significant improvement? To me it seems a bit
odd. What should matter is limiting the maximum force on the blade. A
spring system adjusts the force applied to the blade. A hydraulic
system simply lowers the blade at a defined rate with no relation to
the blade pressure. How do you tell if the needle valve / rate of
descent is adjusted correctly?

Really big expensive saws use a hydraulic downfeed that's basically just like
these. You adjust the needle valve until the saw is cutting correctly.

Grant
Glenn

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
sleykin wrote:
You want one of these Item# 1-1554

Our Price $8.99

From surplus center adjustable gas spring.

And one of these flow control valves. Item# 20-1149

Our Price $7.99

I put them on mine and it works great. The flow control
lets you lift the saw without changing the spring setting.
Fast up slow down. Someplace in the dropbox I put some
pictures of it about 5 years ago.
Glenn

And you add fluid to this 1-1554 gas cylinder?

I see someone selling a saw cylinder on Ebay for the rather rich price
of $90 & S/H.

Actually it is not a gas cylinder. It is hydraulic and is surplus from a
stair stepper. At least all 3 of the ones I bought came with oil in them.
They have a plain needle valve in them and I changed it out for a flow
valve.

~Roy~

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:29:41 -0700, "Glenn"
wrote:

===
==="Dave" wrote in message
oglegroups.com...
=== sleykin wrote:
=== You want one of these Item# 1-1554
===
=== Our Price $8.99
===
=== From surplus center adjustable gas spring.

Yep thats the one, but they have been out of stock for a few months
now......inventory is still showing a big fat "0"

"The original frugal ponder"
Dave

Glenn wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
sleykin wrote:
You want one of these Item# 1-1554

Our Price $8.99

From surplus center adjustable gas spring.

And one of these flow control valves. Item# 20-1149

Our Price $7.99

I put them on mine and it works great. The flow control
lets you lift the saw without changing the spring setting.
Fast up slow down. Someplace in the dropbox I put some
pictures of it about 5 years ago.
Glenn

And you add fluid to this 1-1554 gas cylinder?

I see someone selling a saw cylinder on Ebay for the rather rich
price of $90 & S/H.

Actually it is not a gas cylinder. It is hydraulic and is surplus
from a stair stepper. At least all 3 of the ones I bought came
with oil in them. They have a plain needle valve in them and I
changed it out for a flow valve.

So they call it an "Adjustable Gas Spring" but you can tell it isn't?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...&item= 1-1554

Grady

Are you interested in parting with it? What is the bore, etc? I dont think I
need a really huge one, but would be interested in hearing what you have on
hand.

"Ignoramus30369" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:04:57 -0500, Grady wrote:
I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked
the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill.
Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?

I have a about 2 foot long hydraulic cylinder lying in my garage,
military surplus.

Grady

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
news:210620052048481448%Pilgrim6nospam@mindspring. com...
In article Mv4ue.1132$Zt.625@okepread05, Grady wrote:

I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked
the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill.
Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?

Thanks all

Go to: www.frugalmachinist.com/bandsaw.html

It has an article on just that. It uses a cylinder from Surplus center.

Chuck P.

Glenn

That is way strange I looked it up online before I posted it and it said
they had 5 in stock. Sorry about that. Sure glad I bought spares when I
made mine!
Glenn
"~Roy~" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:29:41 -0700, "Glenn"
wrote:

===
==="Dave" wrote in message
ooglegroups.com...
=== sleykin wrote:
=== You want one of these Item# 1-1554
===
=== Our Price $8.99
===
=== From surplus center adjustable gas spring.

Yep thats the one, but they have been out of stock for a few months
now......inventory is still showing a big fat "0"

"The original frugal ponder"

Glenn

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Glenn wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
sleykin wrote:
You want one of these Item# 1-1554

Our Price $8.99

From surplus center adjustable gas spring.

And one of these flow control valves. Item# 20-1149

Our Price $7.99

I put them on mine and it works great. The flow control
lets you lift the saw without changing the spring setting.
Fast up slow down. Someplace in the dropbox I put some
pictures of it about 5 years ago.
Glenn

And you add fluid to this 1-1554 gas cylinder?

I see someone selling a saw cylinder on Ebay for the rather rich
price of $90 & S/H.

Actually it is not a gas cylinder. It is hydraulic and is surplus
from a stair stepper. At least all 3 of the ones I bought came
with oil in them. They have a plain needle valve in them and I
changed it out for a flow valve.

So they call it an "Adjustable Gas Spring" but you can tell it isn't?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...&item= 1-1554

Well I could tell when I removed the needle valve to replace it and it was
full of oil It had no gas pressure in it. Other than that I don't
think you could tell. When I bought mine it was not called an adjustable
gas spring but an adjustable shock absorber.
Glenn

afdr9lk

Grady wrote:
I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill. Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?

Thanks all

I know this thread is a bit old but if you still need one...
I have quite a few for sale that are cheap and may fit the need.

http://www.freakyacres.com/surpluscylinders
Grady

Will check it out. I have one, but the stroke is a little shorter than what
I would have liked. Might see something I like for a future, yet unknown to
me, project!

"afdr9lk" wrote in message
k.net...