Peter Grey

Default Buffing motor rewire?

Hi all,

I just bough a buffer to polish some aluminum pieces I'm making (obligatory
metal content), and I'd like to mount it upside down. In order to do this
and be able to get to the on/off switch, I need to wire it so that it runs
"backwards" or in the opposite direction from how it runs now. In pulling
the base plate off, a large cap is evident. I know embarrassingly little
about electrical stuff and I'm wondering how to rewire the buffer.

Can I flop the power leads to the switch (the cap and the motor connect to
the other side of the switch) so that both the motor and the cap have
reverse polarity, or do I need to reverse the polarity only to the motor and
not to the cap? Or?

Thanks muchly,

Peter

Ecnerwal

In article . net,
"Peter Grey" wrote:

I just bough a buffer to polish some aluminum pieces I'm making (obligatory
metal content), and I'd like to mount it upside down. In order to do this
and be able to get to the on/off switch, I need to wire it so that it runs
"backwards" or in the opposite direction from how it runs now. In pulling
the base plate off, a large cap is evident. I know embarrassingly little
about electrical stuff and I'm wondering how to rewire the buffer.

You may find that the arbor nuts unscrew themselves if you succeed in
this. Just relocate the switch...
Grant Erwin

Peter Grey wrote:

Hi all,

I just bough a buffer to polish some aluminum pieces I'm making (obligatory
metal content), and I'd like to mount it upside down. In order to do this
and be able to get to the on/off switch, I need to wire it so that it runs
"backwards" or in the opposite direction from how it runs now. In pulling
the base plate off, a large cap is evident. I know embarrassingly little
about electrical stuff and I'm wondering how to rewire the buffer.

Can I flop the power leads to the switch (the cap and the motor connect to
the other side of the switch) so that both the motor and the cap have
reverse polarity, or do I need to reverse the polarity only to the motor and
not to the cap? Or?

Bad idea, but if you are curious --
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/el.../elec-mtr.html

GWE

Don't change the rotation of the motor. Just wire an outlet with a
switch and use that switch to turn it on and off. Original switch
always on.

Dan

Peter Grey

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message

You may find that the arbor nuts unscrew themselves if you succeed in
this. Just relocate the switch...

Yep. I was going to use double nuts to prevent this. You may be right
though.

Peter

Peter Grey

wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't change the rotation of the motor. Just wire an outlet with a
switch and use that switch to turn it on and off. Original switch
always on.

I thought about that, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution...

Peter

DoN. Nichols

In article et,
Peter Grey wrote:

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message

You may find that the arbor nuts unscrew themselves if you succeed in
this. Just relocate the switch...

Yep. I was going to use double nuts to prevent this. You may be right
though.

What about the buffers themselves? Those spindles are long
tapered screws to grip the buffers, and running it in reverse will
unscrew them. (And I think that both screw onto the motor shafts, one
side of which is left-hand thread, so you can't even interchange them.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article . net,
Peter Grey wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Don't change the rotation of the motor. Just wire an outlet with a
switch and use that switch to turn it on and off. Original switch
always on.

I thought about that, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution...

A footswitch to turn it on when you step up to it?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
larry g

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

A footswitch to turn it on when you step up to it?

Enjoy,
DoN.

I hate foot switches on tools. If there not bolted down you chase them. If
they are affixed to the floor they are not always in the right place. If
they are legal with a toe cover it can be an adventure to get your toe in
the damn thing.
just my $.02 rant
lg
no neat sig line