Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
David Courtney

Default Adding a muffler to a cheap generator

I just ordered up a SuperTrapp muffler for my 16hp Vanguard... but it
was NOT cheap.
The info is here, it might be useful for comparison at least:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm and
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmod.cfm
I bought a 5S with the 6" resonator because I need "stealth" for
sneaking through the woods in my Coot... but I would think one of the
smaller ones (3S?) would be adequate for what you need.
There's an article about adding one of these to a generator, but the
conclusion was sort of hard to interpret... like, "It's done, I'm happy"
without any real comparison between before & after:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/faqsupertrap.cfm
Good luck,
David

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
I bought a Coleman Powermate 5000 a few months back.
It works fine for the ocasional location welding I need to do.
It only has to power my inverter.

My only problem is the noise.
It has this tiny little spark arrestor, and no real muffler.

I am hoping that one of you guys has successfully added some kind of
muffler from a moped of small motorcycle.

The engine is a 10 hp Tecumsa Sno-King engine as used on snowblowers.

http://www.colemanpowermate.com/gene...45004_17.shtml

I am looking for a simple cheap solution, but I don't know enough about
small engines to know if the muffler provides some kind of back
pressure to the engine.

Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
Generator standby wiring question (again) Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. UK diy 9 April 6th 04 11:58 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 17 December 8th 03 10:57 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Mains failure generator switching tips? Chris Wilson UK diy 5 October 15th 03 12:12 AM