Bri

Default Not so tall bridgeport type mills?

Hello All:

I'm looking to buy a vertical mill. I'd like a bridgeport except that
the ceiling in my shop has some low areas about 76" or so. Are there any
similarly built mills that are only this tall?
Also, do any of you know of used mill sellers in the Seattle area?

Thanks, Bri
Grant Erwin

Bri wrote:

Hello All:

I'm looking to buy a vertical mill. I'd like a bridgeport except that
the ceiling in my shop has some low areas about 76" or so. Are there any
similarly built mills that are only this tall?
Also, do any of you know of used mill sellers in the Seattle area?

Thanks, Bri

I rarely see a week go by when the Little Nickel online "heavy equipment and
tools" section doesn't have a nice mill. However, many mills are BP clones and
will be just about as tall. Examples:

"BRIDGEPORT 2HP, V-DRIVE 9X42, power feed, R-8 $2,950; Kondia V-Mill, 9X42, 2HP,
power feed, R-8, belt drive $2,300 425-432-9891*
• Location: Maple Valley, WA

BRIDGEPORT MILL, COMPLETE with tooling, locking vise, phase conversion, R8
collet set, boringhead, good condition, $3,250 OBO. 253-884-9379 or 360-731-3589
leave message
• Location: Lakebay, WA

Start with http://www.littlenickel.com

Note that a Bridgeport packed up for moving isn't that tall or wide either after
you take the table off. So if you have *a* spot in your basement where one will
fit then you can most likely get it there. See:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/mill03.jpg

My hand's about 72" off the ground in that picture, and the mill is at *least*
8" off the ground.

For current Seattle area metal resources, see Bob Powell's list:
http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/bobfaq.htm#seattle

Also might check out the Yahoo! group seattle_metalheads, never know ..

GWE

Martin Whybrow

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Bri wrote:

Hello All:

I'm looking to buy a vertical mill. I'd like a bridgeport except that
the ceiling in my shop has some low areas about 76" or so. Are there any
similarly built mills that are only this tall?
Also, do any of you know of used mill sellers in the Seattle area?

Thanks, Bri

I was in a similar situation last year, my garage ceiling is 78" and there
is no way I can fit a turret mill in there. I ended up buying an Elliot
Sturdimill 1250 Universal with a vertical attachment, it's 72" tall and fits
nicely. Any horizontal + vertical mill is likely to fit in the space you
have, but you may have to forgo the convenience of a quill on the vertical
head. BTW, the Sturdimill was sold in the US under the Southbend name.
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

larry g

Bri
Check out the mill in e-bay # 7521890113
I have a Index model 40 and it is about 2/3 the size of a Bridgeport and is
77" tall over the motor. The 55 is about the same size but a bit newer. I
question whether the spindle is Morse, more likely B&S but still a good
mill. It would take more than $1200 to separate me from mine.
lg
no neat sig line

"Bri" wrote in message
Hello All:

I'm looking to buy a vertical mill. I'd like a bridgeport except that
the ceiling in my shop has some low areas about 76" or so. Are there any
similarly built mills that are only this tall?
Also, do any of you know of used mill sellers in the Seattle area?

Thanks, Bri

Bri

That does look like a good deal except that I'm in Seattle and it's in
So Cal.
Thanks for the lead anyway, Bri

"Bri" wrote in message
Hello All:

I'm looking to buy a vertical mill. I'd like a bridgeport except that
the ceiling in my shop has some low areas about 76" or so. Are there any
similarly built mills that are only this tall?
Also, do any of you know of used mill sellers in the Seattle area?

Thanks, Bri

Doug White

Hello All:

I'm looking to buy a vertical mill. I'd like a bridgeport except that
the ceiling in my shop has some low areas about 76" or so. Are there any
similarly built mills that are only this tall?
Also, do any of you know of used mill sellers in the Seattle area?

Bridgeport made a "pancake motor" model where the mill is full sized, but
the motor is much shorter. I forget how tall they are, but it might
work. I knew one guy who had just enough room in his shop for a mill if
he cut a hole in the ceiling for the drawbar to go into when it was all
the way up...

Doug White