Peter Kiproff

Default high resistance plating

Hi Brendan

Have you tried PCB manufactures? they plate through holes in non conductive
boards all the time
your task should be easy.

Peter

"Brendan Jones" wrote in message
I'm looking for a company who specializes in plating copper onto high
resistance conductors. The material I want to plate has about 100 ohms
across a strip about 2 inches long. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks,
Brendan

Don Foreman

On 8 Jun 2005 04:01:22 -0000, Brendan Jones
wrote:

I'm looking for a company who specializes in plating copper onto high
resistance conductors. The material I want to plate has about 100 ohms
across a strip about 2 inches long. Does anyone have recommendations?

Not a problem. Just keep the current low until you have a "flash" of
copper. Once flashed, it'll plate like a piece of metal.

You could also flash it with electroless tin, but I don't think it'll
be necessary.

If you want to have it done, look for a place that plates flowers and
baby shoes. One hit from Google:
http://www.adamsbronzingcompany.com/service1.htm
Bob May

Float the boat in the acid and provide the current to drive the copper atoms
to the boat and you can do it. The rest is time for how thick you want the
copper coating to be.
I'll note that it won't be cheap to float the boat nor the amount of power
that you'll be needing to provide for the plating.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Bob May wrote:
Float the boat in the acid and provide the current to drive the copper atoms
to the boat and you can do it. The rest is time for how thick you want the
copper coating to be.
I'll note that it won't be cheap to float the boat nor the amount of power
that you'll be needing to provide for the plating.

Not a good idea. As the copper is slowly consumed (rusts), a portion of the
effluent would be Cupric Chloride and/or Copper Sulphate, which are extremely
toxic to living organisms.

Do they make a marine wax/applicant for this purpose?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:59:01 -0500, Mark Jones wrote:

Not a good idea. As the copper is slowly consumed (rusts), a portion of the
effluent would be Cupric Chloride and/or Copper Sulphate, which are extremely
toxic to living organisms.

And tributyl tin isn't ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

snip
Not a good idea. As the copper is slowly consumed (rusts), a portion of the
effluent would be Cupric Chloride and/or Copper Sulphate, which are extremely
toxic to living organisms.

snip
Which is why they used it. Killed the barnacles, ship worms,
etc. Kept the ships bottoms relatively clean.

Uncle George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

F. George McDuffee wrote:
snip

Not a good idea. As the copper is slowly consumed (rusts), a portion of the
effluent would be Cupric Chloride and/or Copper Sulphate, which are extremely
toxic to living organisms.

snip
Which is why they used it. Killed the barnacles, ship worms,
etc. Kept the ships bottoms relatively clean.

Uncle George

Its mean stuff

I've had cupric sulphate on my arm at an old abandoned turn of the
century mine. Itches worse than fiberglass insulation

Looks really beautiful when you see a pond of it makes the water look
bluer than blue and still clear. (then i found out what it was AFTER)

Brent
(Raised in a mining town where the ores had large amounts of Sulphur
along witht he copper and nickel)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:42:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Brent Philion quickly quoth:

Its mean stuff

I've had cupric sulphate on my arm at an old abandoned turn of the
century mine. Itches worse than fiberglass insulation

She do tingle, don't she?

Try taking a bath in it. It's said to be like climbing down an active
anthill naked. But once you rinse off, your poison ivy doesn't itch
any more. I used some (1/4" copper sulphate crystal dissolved in a
couple ounces of water) on my arm after a night's romp in the bushes
at Bonsall Lake. I had 3 small bumps. The poor girl had it inside and
out, all over her body. Both of us knew of its toxicity and survived
its use. I wouldn't want to make a habit of it, but it sure keeps the
oils from poison oak/ivy/sumac from spreading.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

...after a night's romp in the bushes...

I'm sure there's a story *there*.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On 12 Jan 2006 09:20:29 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, jim rozen
quickly quoth:

In article , Larry Jaques says...

...after a night's romp in the bushes...

I'm sure there's a story *there*.

X-rated, to be sure. vbg

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous