Ken Vale

Default Mystery Thread

I have a thread here I can't find a standard size for, it is off of my
bicycle (an older non-high performance Norco mountain bike, it was made
in Taiwan). The nut holding the crankshaft on is stripped, the threaded
rod is 0.385 inches (measured with a digital caliper) and looks to be
about 20 TPI (sorry don't have a thread gauge at home). A 3/8 fine nut
will not fit on (which is what my boss thought it would be looking at
the stripped nut, though the stripped nut did fit on a 3/8 fine bolt).
Anyone have an idea on the thread size I need so I can buy or make a new
nut?
Ken

Ken Vale wrote:
I have a thread here I can't find a standard size for, it is off of my
bicycle (an older non-high performance Norco mountain bike, it was made
in Taiwan). The nut holding the crankshaft on is stripped, the threaded
rod is 0.385 inches (measured with a digital caliper) and looks to be
about 20 TPI (sorry don't have a thread gauge at home). A 3/8 fine nut
will not fit on (which is what my boss thought it would be looking at
the stripped nut, though the stripped nut did fit on a 3/8 fine bolt).
Anyone have an idea on the thread size I need so I can buy or make a new
nut?
Ken

hmmmm.... M10 X 1.25

pep boys should have these for about .99 or so.

sjm1

Ken Vale

Ken Vale wrote:
I have a thread here I can't find a standard size for, it is off of my
bicycle (an older non-high performance Norco mountain bike, it was made
in Taiwan). The nut holding the crankshaft on is stripped, the threaded
rod is 0.385 inches (measured with a digital caliper) and looks to be
about 20 TPI (sorry don't have a thread gauge at home). A 3/8 fine nut
will not fit on (which is what my boss thought it would be looking at
the stripped nut, though the stripped nut did fit on a 3/8 fine bolt).
Anyone have an idea on the thread size I need so I can buy or make a new
nut?
Ken

And no it doesn't seem to be metric either (9.78mm)
Ken
Ken Vale

Ken Vale wrote:
Ken Vale wrote:

I have a thread here I can't find a standard size for, it is off of my
bicycle (an older non-high performance Norco mountain bike, it was
made in Taiwan). The nut holding the crankshaft on is stripped, the
threaded rod is 0.385 inches (measured with a digital caliper) and
looks to be about 20 TPI (sorry don't have a thread gauge at home). A
3/8 fine nut will not fit on (which is what my boss thought it would
be looking at the stripped nut, though the stripped nut did fit on a
3/8 fine bolt). Anyone have an idea on the thread size I need so I can
buy or make a new nut?
Ken

And no it doesn't seem to be metric either (9.78mm)
Ken

Never mind I was looking on the wrong page of the Machinery's Handbook.
Ken
skuke

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:36:28 -0400, Ken Vale wrote:

I have a thread here I can't find a standard size for, it is off of my
bicycle (an older non-high performance Norco mountain bike, it was made
in Taiwan). The nut holding the crankshaft on is stripped, the threaded
rod is 0.385 inches (measured with a digital caliper) and looks to be
about 20 TPI (sorry don't have a thread gauge at home). A 3/8 fine nut
will not fit on (which is what my boss thought it would be looking at
the stripped nut, though the stripped nut did fit on a 3/8 fine bolt).
Anyone have an idea on the thread size I need so I can buy or make a new
nut?
Ken

Might get a better thread measurement by measuring the distance of 10
threads and dividing by ten for metric thread pitch. ....much easier than
measuring two adjacent threads.
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Nick Müller

Tim Wescott wrote:

That sounds right. Bicycles have been all-metric for _years_.

But 10*1,25 is not as common as 10*1 (haven't checked my bike).
Better recheck!

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
jtaylor

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

That sounds right. Bicycles have been all-metric for _years_.

Not yet they aren't.

Bicycles are a fine example of "standards, it's a good thing there are so
many of them".

Campagnolo axles - 10mm x 26 tpi.

Ken Vale

skuke wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:36:28 -0400, Ken Vale wrote:

I have a thread here I can't find a standard size for, it is off of my
bicycle (an older non-high performance Norco mountain bike, it was made
in Taiwan). The nut holding the crankshaft on is stripped, the threaded
rod is 0.385 inches (measured with a digital caliper) and looks to be
about 20 TPI (sorry don't have a thread gauge at home). A 3/8 fine nut
will not fit on (which is what my boss thought it would be looking at
the stripped nut, though the stripped nut did fit on a 3/8 fine bolt).
Anyone have an idea on the thread size I need so I can buy or make a new
nut?
Ken

Might get a better thread measurement by measuring the distance of 10
threads and dividing by ten for metric thread pitch. ....much easier than
measuring two adjacent threads.

Maybe but there is not enough length for me to measure 10 threads, I did
however measure a 1/4 inch and count the threads (just over 5).
Ken

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:52:09 -0400, Ken Vale
wrote:

skuke wrote:
[...]

Bicycles are about as non-standard a product as you could immagine -
with bolts sized metric, with threads per inch spec - and half mm
sizing - like 9.5mmX26 axles etc.
The crank nut is not a standard nut either - either a serrated flanged
nut or a "race nut" 0 with a captive free-rotating washer are common.
Just get a replacement nut - they are cheap(relatively) and readily
available from your local bike shop - who WILL know which one fits a
Norco.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Ken Vale" wrote in message
I have a thread here I can't find a standard size for, it is off of my
bicycle (an older non-high performance Norco mountain bike, it was made
in Taiwan). The nut holding the crankshaft on is stripped, the threaded
rod is 0.385 inches (measured with a digital caliper) and looks to be
about 20 TPI (sorry don't have a thread gauge at home). A 3/8 fine nut
will not fit on (which is what my boss thought it would be looking at
the stripped nut, though the stripped nut did fit on a 3/8 fine bolt).
Anyone have an idea on the thread size I need so I can buy or make a new
nut?
Ken

10mm-1 is fairly common with bicycle parts.

N333(TOOL CALL
N334G0G17G40G80G90M5M9
N335T5M6((TAP 10MM -1
N336X0Y0E1S900M3
N337Z3.D5H5M8
N338(TAPPING
N339G0G80Z1.
N340G84R+0.25Z-0.67F35.46S900
N341G80R+0.25

Verify the pitch yourself, Im too lazy..thinking it was appx .0394in/turn.

--

SVL

patrick mitchel

PrecisionMachinisT wrote in message

"Ken Vale" wrote in message
I have a thread here I can't find a standard size for, it is off of my
bicycle (an older non-high performance Norco mountain bike, it was made
in Taiwan). The nut holding the crankshaft on is stripped, the threaded
rod is 0.385 inches (measured with a digital caliper) and looks to be
about 20 TPI (sorry don't have a thread gauge at home). A 3/8 fine nut
will not fit on (which is what my boss thought it would be looking at
the stripped nut, though the stripped nut did fit on a 3/8 fine bolt).
Anyone have an idea on the thread size I need so I can buy or make a new
nut?
Ken

I'd ask the question on rec.bicycles.tech(or something like that), they're
a pretty savvy group that will probably take you in the right direction.
Pat

PrecisionMachinisT

"Ken Vale" wrote in message
[...]

I agree.

Still, it wasn't me that was asking the question--so I suggest maybe you
should work on it a bit--a direct reply to any of my posts is usually like a
big red flag for me....

Cheers,

--

SVL

John

jtaylor wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

That sounds right. Bicycles have been all-metric for _years_.

Not yet they aren't.

Bicycles are a fine example of "standards, it's a good thing there are so
many of them".

Campagnolo axles - 10mm x 26 tpi.

Hey another Campy fan! Bravo!