Steve Peterson

Default Champion Air Compressor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard a new noise in my old Champion air compressor on Saturday.....a
clicking noise I assumed was a valve going south. Well this morning I
confirmed that fact and did a search for Champion. I found Champion had been
bought by Gardner Denver. I found a number for parts and called it. I got
Cindy's voice mail and she returned my call in about ten minutes. I gave
Cindy the numbers off my compressor knowing full well the chances of them
carrying parts for such an old compressor were slim to none. She told me
they no longer stock parts for the RE8 pump I have and it was last built in
1956. Cindy went on to tell me to call Phillips Air Compressor in Chicago,
She said if any one had parts for my pump it would be them. I called them
and low and behold Fred in parts had the Z100 valve set I needed.
This compressor came with a 3hp 1750 motor which I swapped out for a 5hp
3450 using the same pulley bored to fit the larger motor and it has been
running this way for 6-7 years, the last three on a daily basis. I have
been using the old girl to supply air to my cnc plasma setup and it hasn't
complained a bit. Other than a belt tightening and oil changes it just runs
and runs. I couldn't stand to junk it out and I do have a 7.5 hp Speedair I
use for sandblasting to back the old one up so I figured what the heck buy
the valves, change the oil and treat it to a new belt to see how much more
life I can get out of the old girl.

I wonder if any of the compressors built today will still be running in
2054?
--
Steve Peterson
Kettle River Ironworks

Gunner

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:46:49 -0500, "Steve Peterson" 123@nospam
wrote:

[...]

Steve,,,is your compressor a lightish green with very fine cooling
fins on the top of the heads?

I brought one home last weekend that may also be a Champion. Its one
Im not familar with. No tank..just the pump. Has a slight hitch when
turning it over by hand..may be an issue with the centrifucal
unloader. Ill dig into it in a couple weeks.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Steve Peterson

wrote:

[...]

Light green yes, but the cooling fins are about an inch apart and the pump
is mounted on top of a cast receiver tank. There is no mistaking the brand
as Champion is cast into all the major parts. I think they were proud of it
and rightly so. The model & serial tag are riveted on top of the unloader
side of the crankcase. It just dawned on me I am putting more in parts than
I paid for it seven years ago.
Steve

Eric R Snow

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:54:53 -0500, "Steve Peterson" 123@nospam
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I had a similar experience with a wisconsin engine about 10 years ago.
I had a 7hp engine that needed rings and a carb rebuild. Called
Industrial Rebuild in Seattle and gave them the data from the ID plate
on the engine. The guy tells me the engine was built in 1945 and that
Wisconsin still stocks parts back to 1940 vintage engines. Industrial
Rebuild had the rings, gaskets, and the carb rebuild kit in stock. I
asked the guy how much to buy the equivalent Wisconsin engine today.
He said about 1800 bucks. I told him it I thought that was a little
steep. He said you have an engine that's 50 years old, seen who knows
how many hours of use, and you are spending less than 50 bucks to
repair it and you think 1800 is high? That's 36 bucks a year. I had to
agree, 1800 was a good deal. Fortunately the dough I spent that day
paid off. The engine gets many hours on it each summer running flat
out.
ERS