mclorson

Default An interesting offer

I was at the local HF store today, and in passing asked the manager
about the little 130 amp tig welder. Did he have a lot returns?
Problems with the units etc? He then said. "I can give you this unit at
the last sale price ($179) if you purchase the 2 year extended warranty
with it for a total of $213". Sounded like a good deal, but because I
am not well educated on tig machines, I declined. Has anybody had
experience with this machine? I am just new to o/a gas welding and use
my torch for sculpture projects mostly using 3/16 to 1/4 rod. I'd like
to weld stainless at some point but am not ready to work with
stainless...yet. Also, it has been my experience that buying the best
is always cheaper in the long run. However a sweet deal will certainly
turn my head. What think? Go back and get it?
Mike

Emmo

I think you should buy it... Lift start is not that big a deal, and it will
definitely weld the steel and stainless rod you are using...

You can definitely sell it for more than that on eBay...

"mclorson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was at the local HF store today, and in passing asked the manager
about the little 130 amp tig welder. Did he have a lot returns?
Problems with the units etc? He then said. "I can give you this unit at
the last sale price ($179) if you purchase the 2 year extended warranty
with it for a total of $213". Sounded like a good deal, but because I
am not well educated on tig machines, I declined. Has anybody had
experience with this machine? I am just new to o/a gas welding and use
my torch for sculpture projects mostly using 3/16 to 1/4 rod. I'd like
to weld stainless at some point but am not ready to work with
stainless...yet. Also, it has been my experience that buying the best
is always cheaper in the long run. However a sweet deal will certainly
turn my head. What think? Go back and get it?
Mike

Gunner

On 5 Jun 2005 15:01:15 -0700, "mclorson"
wrote:

I was at the local HF store today, and in passing asked the manager
about the little 130 amp tig welder. Did he have a lot returns?
Problems with the units etc? He then said. "I can give you this unit at
the last sale price ($179) if you purchase the 2 year extended warranty
with it for a total of $213". Sounded like a good deal, but because I
am not well educated on tig machines, I declined. Has anybody had
experience with this machine? I am just new to o/a gas welding and use
my torch for sculpture projects mostly using 3/16 to 1/4 rod. I'd like
to weld stainless at some point but am not ready to work with
stainless...yet. Also, it has been my experience that buying the best
is always cheaper in the long run. However a sweet deal will certainly
turn my head. What think? Go back and get it?
Mike

Those machines have been discussed at some length on this and other
newsgroups and owners concensus is that its actually a decent little
machine for its type. And they were all surprised that it works so
well.

It should work quite well for what you are doing and stainless is no
harder to tig than regular steel. Its actually quite easy.

Gunner

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown