Karl Townsend

Default Jet lathe

I'm off to an auction next week where there's only one piece of metalworking
equipment. The description is Jet Lathe 619 py. I'm sure its Asian origin,
so I don't want it. But I would buy it for speculation. An out of place item
at auction often goes for dirt. Can someone tell me more about this unit?
Especially probable resale value.

Karl

DeepDiver

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message k.net...
I'm off to an auction next week where there's only one piece of
metalworking equipment. The description is Jet Lathe 619 py. I'm sure its
Asian origin, so I don't want it. But I would buy it for speculation. An
out of place item at auction often goes for dirt. Can someone tell me more
about this unit? Especially probable resale value.

Why not let it be bought by someone who would actually want it and value it
for what it is? There are many home machinists on this NG who don't have big
tooling budgets and would really appreciate being able to get a decent
lathe, even a "cheap" Taiwanese or Chinese Jet lathe.

Just a thought.

- Michael

ottomatic

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message k.net...
I'm off to an auction next week where there's only one piece of

metalworking
equipment. The description is Jet Lathe 619 py. I'm sure its Asian

origin,
so I don't want it. But I would buy it for speculation. An out of place

item
at auction often goes for dirt. Can someone tell me more about this unit?

Especially probable resale value.

search ebay completedsold items

Otto

Karl

Karl Townsend

Why not let it be bought by someone who would actually want it and value
it for what it is? There are many home machinists on this NG who don't
have big

If there's someone there that wants it, he'll outbid me. However if somebody
is going to steal it, it might as well be meG Over the years, I've paid
for my time a sittin' at the auction all day by being prepared to purchase
whatever is being given away that day. You got to know your values ahead of
time, so far I haven't found anything about this model lathe.

Now, I do wish I had been smart enough to buy up ford utility tractors and
equipment. For years, the scrap metal guy bought these. Today, a junky 8N
brings 4K if you paint it.

Karl

Don Foreman

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 00:41:13 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

Why not let it be bought by someone who would actually want it and value it
for what it is? There are many home machinists on this NG who don't have big
tooling budgets and would really appreciate being able to get a decent
lathe, even a "cheap" Taiwanese or Chinese Jet lathe.

That's probably where it'll end up. They can get it at the auction,
or later from Karl.

My impression is that Jet is a cut above most of the asian import
stuff in quality and in price.

Jim Stewart

wrote:

Why not let it be bought by someone who would actually want it and value it
for what it is? There are many home machinists on this NG who don't have big
tooling budgets and would really appreciate being able to get a decent
lathe, even a "cheap" Taiwanese or Chinese Jet lathe.

That's probably where it'll end up. They can get it at the auction,
or later from Karl.

My impression is that Jet is a cut above most of the asian import
stuff in quality and in price.

The old Taiwan Jets seem to be pretty
good machines. Certainly better than
the current crop.

Check the ways. The 10 x 24 Jet we had didn't have hardened ways
and wore pretty bad, especially near the headstock. It also had a bad
chatter when parting, mostly because it was too light in the carriage
and cross slide.
I later bought a 12 x 36 Shun Shin lathe, also Taiwanese, and
it was a much nicer machine. Its only flaw was the use of a single key
between the drive gear and spindle, and it wore somewhat and would
clunk on startup. The geared head was handy, as was the Camlock
spindle.

Dan

619 is probably not a Jet designation- as far as I know, the smallest
lathe they have ever offered was an 8" x 18" which was styled on a
unimat- it included a small milling/drilling head. This lathe was
called a "818", as all jet lathes have been labelled by swingxlength.
IE 1024, 1236, 1660, are common Jet lathe names. Their smallest common
lathe is the 9x20 size.
Could be its a totally different size of Jet lathe, or it could be not
a lathe at all- hard to tell without more info.
The little Jet lathes, the 9x20's are similar to the other 9x20 lathes
out there- but usually Jet is more expensive. they sell new for about
$750 to $1000, depending on the model.
Resale value depends a lot on where you are- in urban areas of the west
coast, it could be 75% of new. In rural areas of the northeast, it
could be as low as 10% of new. Depends on supply and demand, local
attitudes,and condition.
If it is a good shape 9x20, and it has some tooling and a stand, resale
is likely to be at least $500, but again, your location could be
totally different.

Rex B

DeepDiver wrote:
"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message k.net...

I'm off to an auction next week where there's only one piece of
metalworking equipment. The description is Jet Lathe 619 py. I'm sure its
Asian origin, so I don't want it. But I would buy it for speculation. An
out of place item at auction often goes for dirt. Can someone tell me more
about this unit? Especially probable resale value.

Well, Jet model numbers tend to indicate size. 1024 is a 10x24, 1340 is
a 13x40. But they never made a 6x19 that I know of. But almost any
Chinese metal lathe bigger than 9x20 will fetch over $1000, and Jets
tend to bring a little more than some. If it's a 9x19 or 9x20 some will
still pay $600, even though they can be had new for that.