Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Stainless foil

I assume many of you are aware of the stainless foil that is used in heat
treating, in which one wraps the object to be so treated to control
oxidation and decarb, a necessity without a controlled atmosphere.

I have a project to do for a friend that will require heat treat. I have
the furnace, but not the foil. I would like to buy a roll, but have
never researched to find the best deal, not having had a need until now.
Do any of you know of a source at a respectable price? (For me, not the
seller!) :-)

Thanks!

Harold

DeepDiver

I have a project to do for a friend that will require heat treat. I have
the furnace, but not the foil. I would like to buy a roll, but have
never researched to find the best deal, not having had a need until now.
Do any of you know of a source at a respectable price? (For me, not the
seller!) :-)

I've never bought (or priced) stainless foil, but the first place I'd look
would be Enco:

http://www.use-enco.com/

Not only are Enco's prices usually the most competitive among the large
tooling suppliers, but they often offer free shipping promotions which can
add to your savings. Currently, Enco's promotion code is: NRFUP55 (Free UPS
Shipping on orders of $50 or more).

Hope this helps,
Michael

Karl Townsend

McMasterCarr has a fine selection. You can get one bag starting at $1.97 or
a 10' roll starting at $20.56. (page 3434 of cat#110)Order today and heat
treat tommorrow. They have the world's best service.

Karl

I assume many of you are aware of the stainless foil that is used in heat
treating, in which one wraps the object to be so treated to control
oxidation and decarb, a necessity without a controlled atmosphere.

I have a project to do for a friend that will require heat treat. I have
the furnace, but not the foil. I would like to buy a roll, but have
never researched to find the best deal, not having had a need until now.
Do any of you know of a source at a respectable price? (For me, not the
seller!) :-)

Thanks!

Harold

Adam Smith

I last bought it a long time ago, but the outfit was Park Thermal. They used
to have quite a few outlets all over North America. I found them easy to
deal with. Place is like a candy store, though.

BTW (and you may already know this) the stainless foil for heat treating has
a bit of titanium as an oxygen grabber ie it isn't just one of the stock
normal 300 series stainlesses. If all you need is a couple of feet, I could
try mailing you some, though it might run afoul of the border. (Don't know
what the US customs would think x-raying a package that just had stainless
foil as contents in 8 1/2 x 11 manila envelope). If you'd like me to try,
let me know.

Regards,

Adam Smith
Midland, ON

I assume many of you are aware of the stainless foil that is used in heat
treating, in which one wraps the object to be so treated to control
oxidation and decarb, a necessity without a controlled atmosphere.

I have a project to do for a friend that will require heat treat. I have
the furnace, but not the foil. I would like to buy a roll, but have
never researched to find the best deal, not having had a need until now.
Do any of you know of a source at a respectable price? (For me, not the
seller!) :-)

Thanks!

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Adam Smith" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

No, I wasn't aware of the alloy content, and I appreciate your mention of
the titanium. I gather it's alloy 321 from your description.

Very kind offer, Adam, but I'd rather not put anyone out. It would be
particularly inconvenient for folks north of us. Just getting your sound
information pleases me enough, providing me with a sense of direction, as
have the others.

I have been up to my eyeballs of late, with precious little time to do any
research, but I'll get to it eventually, and will attempt to check all the
recommended source in the process. I want to buy enough to have on hand
for future use, so it will be worth the effort.

Regards,

Harold

Adam Smith

Check. I've never regretted buying 100 foot rolls, even though I only go
through five or ten feet a year. Not all that expensive, and great to have
it there, when wanted.

Adam

snip