John Manders

Strip the tool to remove the old bearing.
Look up bearing suppliers in Yellow Pages and take it to them.
They should be able to identify it either from the numbers marked on it or
by measuring it.

John

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
My air cutoff tool got HOT the other day. Turning the wheel by hand
revealed a grittyness in the bearings. Matco ain't gonna fix it without
a bunch of $$$, *******s, so I'm stuck doing it myself.
Once I get the bearing out of there, what numbers/marks/etc do I need
to get from it and who's a good place to get a new one from?

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Grant Erwin

Once I get the bearing out of there, what numbers/marks/etc do I need
to get from it..

The ones that are written on it.

.. and who's a good place to get a new one from?

Your local bearing house. Look in your yellow pages and find 4 or 5 local
bearing houses and call them all every time for pricing. You'll soon see who has
good pricing. I buy bearings and belts locally unless they are something
special. For specials I look on line.

GWE

Ken Davey

Grant Erwin wrote:
Once I get the bearing out of there, what numbers/marks/etc do I
need to get from it..

The ones that are written on it.

.. and who's a good place to get a new one from?

Your local bearing house. Look in your yellow pages and find 4 or 5
local bearing houses and call them all every time for pricing. You'll
soon see who has good pricing. I buy bearings and belts locally
unless they are something special. For specials I look on line.

GWE

Ah yes - the numbers that are written on it - usually NOT!!
If there are numbers on the bearing(s) go with them (assuming your supplier
can match them).
Otherwise you are SOL for the easy route.
Got a good bearing distributor close by?
The counter men at those places usually really know their stuff.
Take the bearing and all the names/numbers from the tool to the 'MAN' and
just sit back and watch a pro in action.

Regards.
Ken.

Tom

On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:05:29 -0500, "B.B."
u wrote:

My air cutoff tool got HOT the other day. Turning the wheel by hand
revealed a grittyness in the bearings. Matco ain't gonna fix it without
a bunch of $$$, *******s, so I'm stuck doing it myself.
Once I get the bearing out of there, what numbers/marks/etc do I need
to get from it and who's a good place to get a new one from?

Best bet is to remove the bearing and take it to a local bearing/power
transmission distributor such as Motion Industries, Applied Industrial
Technologies or any local distributor in your area. Numbers can cause
problems as they are not complete (actually only designate the number
of the individual part they are stamped on). Unless it's an OEM
special they should be able to fix you up pretty easily and probably
inexpensively. Good luck.
Rex B

Unless it's a special bearing, and auto parts store will likely have it
also, may be more convenient.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

u wrote:

My air cutoff tool got HOT the other day. Turning the wheel by hand
revealed a grittyness in the bearings. Matco ain't gonna fix it without
a bunch of $$$, *******s, so I'm stuck doing it myself.
Once I get the bearing out of there, what numbers/marks/etc do I need
to get from it and who's a good place to get a new one from?

Best bet is to remove the bearing and take it to a local bearing/power
transmission distributor such as Motion Industries, Applied Industrial
Technologies or any local distributor in your area. Numbers can cause
problems as they are not complete (actually only designate the number
of the individual part they are stamped on). Unless it's an OEM
special they should be able to fix you up pretty easily and probably
inexpensively. Good luck.

Tom

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 08:17:06 -0500, Rex B wrote:

Unless it's a special bearing, and auto parts store will likely have it
also, may be more convenient.

Possible - but more likely if you are looking for a tapered roller
bearing or a cylindrical roller bearing but air tool bearings are
usually small ball bearings and are more likely to be found in a
bearing distributor that stocks a full line of bearings (although some
Automotive suppliers also carry a full line) and the level of
expertise is usually (but not always) greater at a bearing distributor
where the focus is on bearings.